1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jadeveon Clowney - Texans' first round (#1 overall) pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, May 8, 2014.

?

Do you agree with the Texans' decision to take Jadeveon Clowney with the #1 pick?

1. YES

287 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. NO

22 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They clearly didn't think that he was an answer to QB or they'd have moved up for him. Everyone knew the Seachickens were openly shopping the pick. I don't see why there is so much craziness going on over a player they didn't want.

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

You can't say Mericulus hasn't had any success... he has been the second best pass rusher we have had since his arrival. 13 sacks in two years is not bad at all.

3. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Between Kollar, Cushing, and Watt, Clowney is gonna get a lot of pushing. The Texans are clearly building a football program and I look forward to seeing what they do with Clowney.

They just added a tremendous athlete who has the ability to play both OLB and LB. Having Clowney in the Willie McGinest-type role should prove exciting. Just need to find that space eater for the middle.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Let's review the success of Reggie Bush, Vince Young, and Mario Williams.

Mario is currently the highest paid DE in the NFL.
    Reggie Bush is a journeyman RB that's injured every year(the one knock against him in the draft given his small frame)
    VY has been out of the league for years.

Clearly the Texans made a mistake.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I mean, are you trying to troll or what? Bc your analysis is terrible.

First off, Hopkins is not average. Are you seriously going to judge him as a rookie who had to deal with ridiculously poor QB play...yet still managed pretty damn good numbers for a first year wideout?

Second, KJ is a solid NFL CB. Nothing spectacular, but he would start for a lot of teams in the NFL. Considering where we took him, that was a decent pick.

Regarding 2012...it was the 26th pick. It's not like they whiffed on a top 10 pick. Also, it's way too early to judge Whitney. If anything he was one of the top 2-3 players on our defense as far as sacks are concerned. He did better than most.

Outside of Watt...the other 3 draft picks have been pick 20, 26, and 27. If we were missing on top picks in the draft, you'd have a point. But, considering that we have had low first round picks...that's pretty damn good.

The Texans have been solid with their first round picks...its the middle round picks that they have failed. Please pay closer attention to reality.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not true, VY very well could be the starting QB in Cleveland this year.

7. TheresTheDagger

See now that is first rate trolling right there.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not trolling at all, he's a vet that they brought in and he has as good a shot in camp as anyone on that roster.

9. TheresTheDagger

They're a 2-14 team. Its really hard to rate anyone other than Watt as a smashing success. Mercilus is a journeyman at best. Hopkins is young that's true and he might turn it around with a better offense/coach/QB....but RIGHT NOW he hasn't shown much for a #1 pick.

10. RootHouston

RootHouston Member

You mean a QB with a better rating?

11. TheresTheDagger

I don't understand your question or the point you're trying to make here.

Elaborate please?

12. Remii

Remii Member

Don't call Hopkins average... Some posters around here will 5h1t a brick. They think he's a stud receiver and can take over for Dre :rolleyes:

13. Remii

Remii Member

Actually Whitney didn't play all of his 1st year so that's less than two years... But yet the Texans spent a #1 overall pick on Clowney. Another guy at the same position.... That's what you call running in place.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol...ridiculous.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah...because Merciless is the same level of Prospect as Clowney.

16. magman

magman Member

Drafting Watkins like you wanted would also be called running in place.

Texans took BPA, nothing wrong with that. Pass rush was definitely an area of concern, Clowney will be a bit part of the solution.

17. magman

magman Member

*big not bit, lol Freudian slip maybe, lol

18. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

I know the RAC is known for his 3-4 defenses but what would a Texans defense look like as a 4-3?

Clowney-Watt-Nix-Mercilus
    Reed-Cushing-???

With that front 4 you should be able to get excellent pressure on the QB without blitzing which is a similar scheme to what the Seahawks ran this season. I could be totally off base but the thought cross my mind last night.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I can't believe anyone is actually defending the drafting record of this franchise. Even the "late 1st round pick" argument baffles me. Other teams are grabbing starters throughout the draft and we are hoping to just get in the first round.

Rick Smith should just trade every pick outside of the first two every year because that's all this football department is capable of accurately scouting.

20. Remii

Remii Member

Not necessarily. Watkins knows how to get in the end zone. Whitney had just as many sacks than Dre and Hopkins had TD's. But I wanted Robinson, Mathews, or a quarterback as well. Anyone of them would have been fine with me.

Yea... All last season all I heard was people complaining about the pass rush when the Texans were losing 14 straight games.