1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jacksonville Press: Texans' Dirty Tricks?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by El_Conquistador, Nov 1, 2004.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Unbelievable article from the Jacksonville newspaper this morning. Jacksonville's John Henderson took an incredible cheap shot on Carr when he dove at his sore ankle well after the pass was away, which sent Carr to the bench injured. It was a HUGE mistake by the refs not to call this (Carr actually got a 15-yd penalty for protesting it). Despite this, the Jacksonville press has the nerve to call the Texans dirty? Unreal.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/110104/spf_freeman.shtml

Texans' dirty tricks pull Jaguars down
    By MIKE FREEMAN, Times-Union columnist

HOUSTON--There was a play toward the end of the Jaguars' game today, a game the team will try to wipe clean from its memory banks, which epitomized the kind of afternoon it was. Houston's Chad Stanley was the benefactor of a fake punt, and as he ran, 300-pound defensive tackle John Henderson gave chase, but something stopped him from making the tackle.

It was the hand of Houston long snapper Bryan Pittman, which was wrapped around Henderson's throat, according to the Jaguars.

Yeah. That might slow someone down.

The officials did not see what basically amounted to, if true, Pittman attempting to choke Henderson, and when one of the Jaguars retaliated against Pittman after the play's conclusion by shoving him, Pittman fell back in an exaggerated manner, going to the ground as if he had been shot. The refs saw Pittman get pushed, and penalized the Jaguars for a personal foul.

The Jaguars were involved in a number of scuffles, including a massive shoving match at the end of the game on the Jaguars sidelines. They were penalized a season-high 11 times for 80 yards. "This game was not one of our better moments," said tight end Kyle Brady.

Some half-dozen Jaguars players said in interviews that the Texans were utilizing some of the dirtiest tricks in the book. Questionable low blocking. Kicking in the groin (hate when that happens). Throwing punches when the official wasn't looking. And perhaps the most egregious foul of all, they said, was that Houston players at times put on some of the worst acting jobs since William Shatner played Captain Kirk. In other words, the Texans played like devils, and then when the refs awoke from their catnaps to see what a scuffle was about, the Houston players shrugged and made like angels. "Who," they would say innocently, "little old me?"

That's all true.

Here's the problem.

When the dirty stuff happens, no matter how egregious, a player really has only one choice.

"You have to walk away," said Stroud, "and we didn't do that. The stuff [the Texans] were doing was crazy. They would pull some questionable stuff, and we would get called for the penalty."

The Jaguars lost their cool.

Then they lost the game.

The reason why? The utter disgust the Jaguars felt at being unable to change their predicament. They could not shake loose the Texans, so the Jaguars let go of their inhibitions, going ballistic, and taking out their frustrations on Houston with shoves and jawing instead of first downs and defensive stops.

"I believe that if you are going to compete in these close games," said coach Jack Del Rio, "you have to understand that everything is not going to go your way … You have to fight through the mental part of it and not allow yourself to get frustrated."

The Jaguars are one of the more emotional teams in football. They feed off of that passion; it is one of the biggest reasons why they have come back from so many deep deficits. Usually, they express their emotions the proper way, at the proper time. This time, they played with a kind of unchecked rage, which is required if you are an extra on the set of Braveheart, but not something a smart football player should do, and most of the time, the Jaguars play smart. Just not today.

"You won't see that again," said Stroud. "Ever."

mike.freemanjacksonville.com, (904) 359-4377

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I was going to post a picture of some cheese to go with their wine, but I don't wanna leech images.

Whiners.

3. Summer Song Giver

4. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Uh, oh! Here comes the "Waaaaaaaaaaaambulance"!

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sour grapes. The officiating wasn't very good in this game, but there were horrible calls and no-calls on BOTH sides. The Jags need to look at themselves if they want to talk about dirty play. That ridiculous acting job their kicker Scobee put on last week against Indy. The ridiculous hit on Moses last year and their freaking coach congratulating the player for the dirty hit. And yesterday, the late hit on Carr that wasn't called, and us getting a penalty because of our frustration from it. Sounds to me like this early season success has gotten to the head of the Jags players and their sports writers. Take it like a man, b****es.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I posted about this in the game thread.

Please... :rolleyes:

What about last year when Jack Del Rio told his special teams guy to level JJ Moses after he called for a fair catch because JJ had been tearing them apart for the whole game. Cameras showed Del Rio patting the guy on the helmet after the play....right as they were marching off the 15 yard penalty.

I guess they can dish it out but they just can't take it.

8. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

This idiot is writing a scathing report about the Texans playing dirty, based on comments from the players just after the heat of battle & a good butt whooping. His "if true" comment would imply that none of this has been verified on game film. I wonder if he's ever heard of a fella by the name of Dan Rather?:rolleyes:

By the way, I understand that this article has been sent to the Texans for bulletin board material for the next time we meet.:D

9. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    HERE IT COMES!

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I guess they will fine another excuse when the Texans go to Jacksonville and spank them again in December.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I have to say I thought the Texans were much dirtier than I've seen them play before. The Jags didn't look to be any cleaner. Officiating in the game stunk, but the Texans dominated them.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Losers....take it like a freakin man.

You got spanked.

13. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Sounds like the Texans gave the Jags a dose of their own medicine. Its football, not golf. Gentlemen need not apply.

14. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Wow! What a suprise. Football players playing dirty?

Maybe he can watch a basketball game or two and realize they play dirty too. What a breakthrough article that could be for his career.;)

15. JamesC

JamesC Member

That was hilarious when Pittman fell back like he was shot. He pulled a Karl Malone flop but Henderson did shove him after the play was over. As for the alleged choke I didnt see that, but Pittman did keep shoving him just long enough to get under his skin.

I thought Marcus Stroud was the one that put the cheap shot on Carr.

16. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

Henderson hit Carr late

17. mulletman

mulletman Member

that very easily could have ended carr's season. wonder if this article would have been written if that had happened...

18. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Leftwhich out 6weeks. Knee Injury.

19. Buck Turgidson