1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jackson Plans To Use Lakers' Regulars

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by houston19519, Apr 14, 2009.

1. houston19519

houston19519 Member

This is my first Thread Guys, I hope it doesn't suck :D

LOS ANGELES - Lakers coach Phil Jackson wouldn't think of sitting out his best players in the regular-season finale Tuesday night against the Utah Jazz. Kobe Bryant, Andrew Bynum, Derek Fisher, Pau Gasol and the rest of the team will be available to play.

That doesn't mean any of them will play big minutes as the Lakers prepare for the opening round of the playoffs, possibly against the Jazz.

Jackson began shortening his players' minutes in games last week against Denver and Portland.

Jackson said Sunday that he planned to stick to his routine. He and the rest of the Lakers seem to have conceded the race for the NBA's best record to the league-leading Cleveland Cavaliers, content to have home-court advantage against any other opponent.

"I don't see them losing games," Jackson said of the Cavaliers. "I'm into the mode I want to coach right now. I wouldn't think of sitting players. I don't think that's the right thing to do when people buy season tickets and buy special-game tickets.

"The league has asked us not to do that. I have players who are going to play their 82nd game (of the season) this week, hopefully. That's a big milestone."

Jackson said he would keep an eye on Derek Fisher and Andrew Bynum.

Fisher, 34, has played in all 81 games so far but has been suffering from a sore left foot recently. Bynum returned last week from a 32-game absence because of a torn medial collateral ligament in his right
    Advertisement
    knee.

Otherwise, the Lakers are healthy and happy.

"When you have an opportunity to win as many games as we've won this year, you have to be pleased with it," Jackson said. "The fact that we're coming into this part of the season and played a variety of people, maybe not in the best form we've been all year, that's OK.

There's no big issue here.

"These guys know the difference between regular season and playoff games. They know they have to have an extra gear for the playoffs.

We're going to try to get that as we go through this next week. Get a couple of days off, get ourselves going, get ready for the playoffs, get our execution down, and some of our defensive things."

Tepid response

Jackson seemed only mildly interested in the fact that the NBA promised to look into Portland's use of a video of the March skirmish between the Lakers and the Trail Blazers, which was replayed on the scoreboard Friday at the Rose Garden.

The league forbids the use of such videos by teams.

"Oh, they are?" said Jackson, who voiced his objections Saturday.

"It's one of those things they've made a statement about in the past.

I know in the playoffs, it's even more intense, so they probably get their chops up for it. You want the referees to be able to do a job in an atmosphere that's still fan (friendly), but yet not derogatory or incited.

"OK? Next (question)."

http://www.sgvtribune.com/sports/ci_12129886

Hopefully the Lakers destroy them quickly before Phil Sits the starters.....

2. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

3. houston19519

houston19519 Member