1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Mar 6, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And Wemby, GG Jackson and Cam Whitmore were all 19......or the latter 2 are still 19.

And they keep getting and coming in younger. Hot and young.

Until the age is nothing really special any longer.

#41 daywalker02, Mar 8, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
  2. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Although it is for 95% of the young players, but OK. IN GG Jackson's last 3 games. he has shot 30%, 22.2% and 26.7 %...from 3 .. 0,25% and 20%...he's tearing it up. Averaging 11.1 PPG on 42 % shooting and 36.6 % from 3 for the season. Look there are exceptions....but maturity and EXPERIENCE matter...they just do.

#42 AuburnRocket, Mar 8, 2024
    roslolian likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That was also like the generic ....he is not of drinking age but while 90% of 18 year olds in other countries drink alcohol, some even drink alcohol prior to being 18.

That is like saying there is no 20 year old in Euro league or high level basketball is not played among young ones overseas.

Oh yeah Luka Doncic can attest, you can play professional ball at 16 and Sengün can attest you can win MVPs in Europe at 18 years of age.

It is just making Jabari look better using the age bracket.....I do not even get why fans are in dire need doing that, this dude is not a bad baller.....lmao.

Like age is a crux for him, it is actually doing a player a disservice but stans don't get it.

#43 daywalker02, Mar 8, 2024
  4. AuburnRocket

There's a message there somewhere I suppose. Notmatter what age, shape, physical level, etc..anyone can drink if they are able to drink the booze in front of them...no skill level required.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

For sure but the gist of it is his fans want to milk that 20 age until he is 21.....lol they can milk the 21 thing....

Just like for Jalen but he is already better than Jalen. Dude does not even need that....

We still want to compare this dude to 23 year olds.....and feel comfy about that lmao.

And if players are better bc they are 1 or 2 years older than so be it......

6. AuburnRocket

Sure...please provide me the I'm sure lengthy list of those who are playing pro ball at 16 and the list of 18 yr. olds that are MVP in Europe. You get your Alpy ( last year in 75 games averaged 29 mins. and 14.8 ppg., previous year in 72 games averaged 9.6 ppg..shot 55.3 and 47.4% overall...meaning he's gotten better EACH OF HIS 3 YEARS. We can argue semantics but, age DOES MATTER. Oh, love the Luka inclusion. BTW just for grins...Lebron shot 29% and 35% from 3 his first 2 years.

roslolian and gfab-babyboi like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I still do not get that 20 age thing about someone who is not really athletic....is he going to be more athletic in 3 years?

Oh sure he is more mature for his age but is that even tangible to making the Playoffs......

8. AuburnRocket

I literally just showed you with Alpy as an example. To say that Bari is not athletic is not true..can't guard best player night in and night out, normally get double digit rebounds and have no athleticism. Just can't.

roslolian likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

At least we can talk about athleticism because that is tangible but his age that is really just something that comes and goes....people get older sure and they might not age that much during a season.

Also I see no reason to mention his age all of the time, if he sucks he sucks, if he plays great, he plays great......at least I am not thinking oh dude is only 20 or Amen Thompson is only 20 or 21.....every play he makes or misses.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I mean he is not someone that makes your head spin with thunderous dunks like Slam Whitmore.

Alpe is much more athletic than Bari lol......the European or Quarter Asian thing masks that. He is just not a fast runner.

Or another explanation is that he is a better and more willing dunker and it only seems that way but we can surely find out.....

11. AuburnRocket

We'll just have to agree to disagree...did you put me a list together of the all the 16 yr. olds in professional ball and the 18 yr. old European MVPs. I know it'll take a while. Luka, Wemby, Alpy ?

roslolian likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Alpe just plays a lot more above the rim.......

The point was not accolades but the talent pool that you have not named Bari but people like yourself are limited to that.....

I might have just mentioned one or two MVPs yes but you don't need a list to recognize talent.....it makes it easier for sure.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why? I pretty much agree with you, just not about the age thing because to me that is doing a disservice to young players.

Good players ball out when they are 19 or 18......no need to pigeonhole them or put them in a box....which is actually doing the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish.

And if you are stating 90% of players at 20 are worse than Bari, I might agree too but I am more talking about elite players.

I have already scratched mediocre players off my board mentally.

14. AuburnRocket

Understand but, it doesn't take long to call role of the 18 & 19 yr. olds that "ball out"....it is RARE that you find that..very rare. LeBron, Kobe,didn't hit their stride early on..it's rare.

roslolian likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not saying it is not rare just that the Rockets need generational to actually win a chip or make the Finals.

That is actually my goal not sure about others but I am not settling for sloppy seconds or consolation.

If you gave me a choice of KD or Steph, I am selecting Steph even when KD has more to offer on the surface.

KD is not a leader. It just can be that simple sometimes.

And it just so happens that Steph is also more loyal to a team and has more rings.

16. AuburnRocket

I was in the building when we won our first NBA championship against the Knicks...so, yeah I kinda want that too. I just think we disagree about what are the players that will get us there.

roslolian and daywalker02 like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ok good to know about that first part.

I do not think we necessarily disagree but I do view the strength of the opponent as important because that Harden team could have won one.

That Adelman team would have won one....

But yeah Kobe and GSW respectively were better, plain simple.

• You are a fan of Jabari and I am not, that is the truth I am simply spelling out.
    • That is the part we disagree on.....actually. I do not mind that actually. He is agood player.
    • Because of that I did not give him enough props, that is on me for sure. As players evolve, I am trying to evolve too.

18. AuburnRocket

I don't care if you are a fan of his or not...but, if you are a Rockets fan, how bout some credit when he contributes or at the least just don't say anything. Of course you can say what you want but, just because you don't like him don't make him not good. Barring injury, he is going to be around the NBA for a long time. And, he'll end up better than a lot of the names being thrown around here. JMO.

What part of his game are you not liking tonight ? 4/6 overall, 3/4 from 3, 5 rebounds, 2 Blks., 1 stl, 1 assist.

#58 AuburnRocket, Mar 8, 2024
    tycoonchip and roslolian like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Of course, but one thing I have never done is that I have put more responsibility on him as he is not a veteran..

I think you mistake me for other posters.

I just think he has less potential than perhaps Amen or Cam....but that is natural and Alpe is above anyone right now......
    And that is ever changing as the NBA never stops to evolve.

• Not every fan is a fan that just likes to talk about their favorite player ......
    • If people just get that, then they would not just go HAM on each other fave players.

#59 daywalker02, Mar 8, 2024
  20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Nah.. he's going to be more than that. In a league that emphasizes three point shooting and teams play outside in, he will be crucial! A 6'10/6'11 player that is a knock down 3pt shooter and is not a liability on D will be a very significant player.