1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabar Gaffney

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketfat, Jan 14, 2007.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

and to be fair, they wanted him to be something he wasn't. which hurts both him and carr in the long run. I never understood the logic that they need a speed guy next to andre johnson. what you needed next to andre you had in gaffney, a hands guy. johnson is the speed guy who opens up the field for the rest of the offense.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Clinton Portis

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Not really. Whats wrong with having 2 guys that are good at the same thing? That makes the offense that much better. I never belived in a hands or possession guy. What about just having 2 really good receivers. Despite his troubles, this summer how would Bryant looked next to johnson? I mean get good players that are multifacets. I thought gaffney was a slot guy and i think you can find those guys late in the draft or whatever. Some teams like the big slot guys almost te tight. some like the smal shifty guys, it doesn't matter. Most times those guys aren't high draft picks though. If andre is what the say he is, then he should be everything. The elite receivers make plays down the field,in the slot,across the middle,3rd down or whatever. Marvin and wayne does the same things, that what make the very good along with peyton. it should matter. In old denver, Mcafferey and smith did the same things,holt and bruce,fitz and bouldin they all cmpliment eah other because they do it all.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

those offenses are great offenses but everyone doesn't have that luxury. use the players you have to their strengths.

5. leebigez

I'm just saying instead of typcasting guys, get football players. I agree use the players you have, but you cant expect gaffney to beat the 2nd cb, maybe the 3rd or a lb but not the 2nd cb.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

okay, I don't want to keep going back and forth, because I agree somewhat with your point. but gaffney is proving right now he can be a viable threat on a team. not just third receiver type. and with gaffney catching a bunch of passes for you, you can win. I never had a problem with gaffney when he was here. one of the reasons I didn't make a stink when he left is because I couldn't defend him after he dropped that touchdown. but I never thought he was bad, just not used properly.

and that's what separates the patriots from everyone else and I feel like an idiot picking them. belichek gets the most out of his personnel. I think no one would argue that he's had better teams than san diego, or the colts teams he used to beat.

this guy played troy brown and corner, and it actually benifited them big time sunday that brown had that experience.

7. leebigez

I agree with you on that one, but i still think he's a 3rd down or the 3rd receiver working on a nickel or lb. He and caldwell are playing more like they did in florida. Meaning they are working quick routes outside or a occasional fly route. I dont think you see them running deep post or deep in routes. As long as you can do something, i guess thats cool. Along with Watson,you can argue he's like a 4th reciever.

8. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Gaffney and Caldwell are playing on borrowed time and it will run out this weekend against the Colts.