1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabar Gaffney

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketfat, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Then how is this part of the argument about the players around Carr being decontructed "brick by brick". These two games by Gaffney are probably the best two ever played by an ex-Texans offensive player. And this happened after he couldn't even make the Eagles active roster. Wow, that's just damning evidence right there that the players around Carr weren't a big part of his problems the first four years.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

youre missing the point. i'm countering the argument that these players were holding david back. i'm not suggesting he ruined them or hurt them. i'm suggesting that the problem MIGHT NOT HAVE BEEN gaffney.

3. MadMax

they're 2 games...but they're evidence, nonetheless.

he was our #2 receiver here. he was lost. nowhere to be found.

we had a #2 receiver here this year named moulds. lost. nowhere to be found.

do you wanna blame gaffney and moulds for that?? or is it POSSIBLE there was a common problem here???

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I did answer your question. I'm not gonna get back and forth about why I answered each of your posts, especially when you were the first to respond to me. I don't even know what point you're trying to make anymore. you just keep going to go, hence you're crazy.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Based on two games? When there has never been another offensive player that has left the Texans and gone on to do anything approaching what Gaffney's done in the playoffs? I think that's exhibit A of how the players around Carr were a major factor in his lack of success. No one's arguing that it's the only thing at this point, which is why I'm saying a dead horse is in the process of being beaten.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Says the guy who matches me post for post anytime we get in a stupid argument. Oh, but you're the sane one, I get it. :rolleyes:

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

maybe you should take your own advice and use the ignore list if I'm getting that much under your skin that now you need a reason to answer your post when you engaged me.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't have a problem with you personally. You're the one that always makes these arguments personal at some point. I obviously get under your skin.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

OK, I get it.

I noticed you used plural on the bolded part of your post. Would the same apply to all those O-linemen that we've let go over the years who are now prospering on other teams? For instance, there's.....uh.....let's see, there's.....ok, that one guy.....no, he's out of the league too.....let's see.....

OK, I'm drawing a blank on O-linemen, but there have been plenty of other offensive players we've let go who have gone on to prosper on other teams.....damn, drawing a blank there too....

Can you help me, MadMax?

10. MadMax

i already answered that question. i don't know who went where or how they're doing.

but we've only been around 5 years. there's not many players to even talk about in that regard.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You'd think, if the argument that the players around Carr had a lot to do with his lack of success was being deconstructed partly by Gaffney's last two games, you'd have at least one other offensive player that has gone on to find success away from Houston. I think the fact that Gaffney is the best one can find actually supports the contention that the pieces around Carr have been pretty damn terrible.

Like I said, there is pretty much no one out there among the fan base that supports David Carr or wants him to be the starter next season. But Gaffney's performance sure isn't the thing that screams that the Carr bashers have been right all along and that the argument about his surrounding players hasn't been correct.

12. Buck Turgidson

Moran Norris? ;)

pgabs, if this:

is your criteria for craziness, there's a whole battalion of nutjobs in these Carr/Texans threads, yourself probably included.

Back on topic, whoever brought up Deion Branch is right on the money, Pats WR = Broncos RB in the "product of the system" department.

13. Major

Major Member

Deion Branch's numbers this year weren't too far off of last year's career-high pace, especially considering that he's the #2 receiver in Seattle (behind Darrell Jackson) and that he missed the first two games and training camp.

I think the only point about Jabar Gaffney is that he is probably not quite the trash people here said he was if he's become Tom Brady's freaking go-to receiver in the playoffs after joining the team just two months ago.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He's still trash, just not as trashy as the other Patriots WRs. :)

But yeah, I'd probably agree with that point. I don't think that it's any kind of argument against Carr though which was the original point of this thread.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

MM, it should come as no surprise that i can actually lend you a hand here:

here's a list of players who've logged at least 10 starts in a season with david carr; my suggestion is to start your search here
    james allen, jonathan wells, moran norris, stacey mack, billy miller, corey bradford, jabar gaffney, marcelleus rivers, demingo graham, ryan young, greg randall, victor riley, todd washington, todd wade, seth wand, not to metion chris palmer, joe pendry....

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Watch out Canton!

17. MadMax

it's not the fan base i'm concerned with. it's the guys who actually get to make this decision that scare me.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Not me. Yet anyway. However, I am thrilled that we just had our best draft by far and that gives me hope for what they'll do with Carr.

And the only bright side to Carr being a starter next year is that at least he'll have to earn it. All indications are that he'll have competition at the very least, something he's never had here.

19. MadMax

i can't find a bright spot to carr being a starter next year. we'll see.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I just have to find one. I definitely won't be happy about it at all. Unless he throws for 350 yards, 4 TDs and 0 INTs the first game. :)