1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[J.Solomon] Hi-Kwality Sportswriter Refuses to Praise with Non-Hi-Kwality Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 16, 2010.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Andersen wasn't meant to replace Yao, he was meant to be the filler starter and then backup next season-essentially our Euro equivalent of Brad Miller. As you said it wasn't one of DM's better moves, and one of his signings that didn't pan out (along with Mike James, Steve Francis etc.). However one thing I really like about DM is his mistakes are all negligible, all of them are low-risk moves. 2.5 mill per year isn't really something I'd cry about personally.

As for the team not contending even with Yao back, I'm afraid that's where we disagree. Our starting lineup of Yao, Scola, Ariza, Brooks and Kevin Martin is among the top starting lineups in the league if you ask me, and a bench that has Buddinger, Hill, Lowry and Battier is tops in depth as well. If DM signs Brad Miller and manages to get a promising C with our lottery pick we'd be all set. I'm not sure why you think a lineup that starts Yao, Scola, Brooks and Kevin Martin needs more scoring, which is basically what Bosh will give you lol...

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

First of all This whole Yao and T-Mac injury mess was created by Carrol Dawson. Morey would have two choices to get a title:
    a) Trade both and just suck for a few years OR
    b) win the best way he could and rebuild on the fly.

Dude say what you want but drafting Aaron Brooks (26th), Carl Landry (31st), and Budinger (44th) is amazing. He's traded for Jordan Hill, Kevin Martin, Luis Scola and signed Trevor Ariza. So if he is able to trade for Bosh it will be from the fruit of HIS OWN drafts, trade and signings.

No one is saying that Morey is perfect. (who is? Certainly not Solomon!) But for Solomon to play "we didn't make the playoffs" card at this point, is an easy mark at this point and a borderline cheap shot. I'm not crazy about David Andersen but who else was in play that was going to REPLACE YAO and not put us into the luxury tax?

ITS CALLED REBUILDING! Morey just has tried to win while doing it but he had to breakup Yao and T-Mac if there was going to be any hope for a title. But I gotta question for you & Romy Solomon, how many "Superstars" change teams via trade anyway? How many in the last 10 or 15 years have changed teams and won a title? ShaQ? Garnett? Both had been in the league 10 plus years before they were traded. You could count Gasol but a GM could live a thousand years and never be offered a more lopsided deal than the one Memphis offered L.A.

Most of the time you have to draft them, but for Romy Solomon (not callin that JACKASS a king) that would have taken too much thought before typing and I'm not sure that thinking before typing is his forte' anyway.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

The difference here...

people who watch the Rockets when they have all stars

vs

people who watch regardless.

Solomon would have rather seen a hobbled tmac out there "helping us" like he did NY than he would see a bunch of "overachievers" end up with a winning record.

those of us who figured tmac was never going to play in a rockets uniform again (okay so I was off like 30+ minutes) knew this season wasn't going to be one for the ages... so we tempered expectation.

I don't know about Solomoron but my expectations at the beginning of the season was to finish exactly what we finished.. a little over .500.

meeting expectation = success for me

reading this article I knew exactly what he was trying to do.. he was trying to fire up the fans that watch every game regardless by belittling our expectations... no he doesn't do it outright, but instead he does it by belittling management who have "hypnotized" us into accepting a product that we shouldn't

Like we were too stupid on our own to know what we should have wanted.

The man is writing just to get a rise out of readers because apparently that's what Chron writers are supposed to do.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

"Not finding a decent replacement inside was one of general manager Daryl Morey's failures last offseason. A halfway decent big man and Rick Adelman could have guided this team to the playoffs."

"Instead of bragging about putting up a winning record without an All-Star, how about going out and getting an All-Star?"

These two little snippets make me SO angry!

1st: He makes it sound like it is an easy task to get a decent replacement, but in the snippet after, he says great centers don't grow on trees. Come on, man.

2nd: Again, he makes it sound easy to get an all-star. You're a WRITER, moron. NOT a general manager. You have no idea how hard it is to woo people.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's what Jerome Solomon, if that's even his real name, is supposed to do.

6. MrAwe

MrAwe Member

this.

7. MrAwe

MrAwe Member

I think the problem is that Morey still believes that "Yao is the missing piece to make us a contender", at least that is what he is selling. So he goes out and found us very good role players to complement Yao.

If Yao does come back and dominate, Morey will come off as one of the greatest GM's we have. However, I don't think that will be the case. The chance of Yao getting back to where he was is very slim. In the end, we will be stuck with a team full of role players and a injured Yao.

Right now, Yao's situation doesn't look good and that's why Solomon is criticizing Morey's decisions. I don't think there is any fault in that.

Like Morey said, Yao won't be back until this time next year. So that pretty much translate to we won't be making the playoffs again next year with the team we have right now.

So the question is, do we wait for Yao and keep adding pieces to surround him or do we move on without him and try to rebuild a team that will be able to contend?

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, you are saying Morey basically DECIDED to NOT GET A STAR because of his FAITH IN YAO'S HEALTH?

Which STARS are available in the last offseason and during the season that could have been had and Morey just decided NOT TO GET because, OH WELL, WE HAVE YAO ALREADY!

Are you saying that a STAR would be USELESS when YAO plays?

Are you saying that guys like Kevin Martin, Aaron Brooks, Luis Scola, Trevor Ariza, etc. are only useful in COMPLEMENTING YAO and ARE USLESS IN ALL OTHER SITUATIONS including PLAYING WITH ANOTHER STAR PLAYER?

Is there some reason why, these guys can't play with, say, CHRIS BOSH?

This whole "MOREY DIDN'T GET NO STAR CUZ HIS ASS IS BETTING ON YAO'S HEALH" crap is just absoultely stupid.

I mean, Jesus, of course they SAY THEY ARE CONFIDENT IN YAO, and expect him to be A PART OF THE TEAM.

DUDE HE IS UNDER CONTRACT FOR ANOTHER YEAR!!!

HE IS UNDER CONTRACT FOR ANOTHER YEAR!!!

WHY WOULD A MANAGAMENT PUBLICLY TRASH THEIR OWN PLAYER'S VALUE AND YAP ABOUT ANY DOUBTS THEY MAY HAVE ON HIS HEALTH?
    (and don't tell me they trashed TMac... it's different because TMac's contract was ending and his value as an expiring contract (a.k.a., the "Meat Value") is greater than his value as a player (a.k.a., the "Pet Value").

9. MrAwe

MrAwe Member

No, I am saying Morey decided to build the team around Yao even his health is questionable.

Even Kevin Martin was acquired to complement Yao although I don't consider him a star due to his injury problems.

If Yao isn't on the team, I don't think I want to have Martin as the first option we depend on.

There weren't many stars Morey could have gone after, but the way he is building this team suggests that he is still betting on Yao. For example, signing Ariza to that long ass contract that we will be stuck with for the next few years.

Guys like Brooks, Martin, Scola, and Ariza are definitely still useful even when Yao isn't around. Just look at our record this season. But will they win us championships?

We don't play just to be an okay team. We play to win the whole thing and guys like Brooks, Martin, Scola, and Ariza won't get us there.

These guys are definitely useful if we get Bosh, but will that happen? With Yao being supposedly untouchable and T-Mac's expiring contract traded, there is a very slim chance.

Like you said, management don't trash their player, but why are they still keeping a player that is never around? They did the right thing trading T-Mac, but why are they so blind about trading Yao?

I believe it's because they still think Yao will return to all-star form. Like I said before, there is a very small chance that happening. Even if he does, he is more likely to get injured again.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

There are a bunch of Caveats on this year
    and
    to ignore them is just being ridiculous

Rocket River

11. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

he sure did help the Lakers... :eek:

[​IMG]

I'm just saying ... ;)

--RB

12. MrAwe

MrAwe Member

woa, they have a hardwood court outside?

13. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Solomon is garbage plain and simple.

14. Raven

Raven Member

This is all he and Justice do, troll for page hits.