1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

J.R. Smith isn't attracting any attention

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheDreamShake, Jul 19, 2008.

1. TheDreamShake

TheDreamShake Member

I know he's a head case, but the guy can play

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/18/nuggets-only-team-to-show-interest-in-jr-smith/

2. JD2010

JD2010 Member

The guy can shoot the lights out.
    I remember one game he made 7 threes in a half.

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Seems like Nuggets are content in matching any offer anyways. Probably like the situation with the Rockets and Landry.

4. lastmanstanding

I want this knucklehead on the team, but we haven't resolved the Landry situation yet.

5. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

The guy's a talent no doubt about it. He improved greatly this season from last season and so did his maturity so I fail to see how he isn't atleast getting some interest, especially considering how Ronny Turiaf was given such an overpaid contract.

If we can somehow sign him with our remaining MLE (though I doubt he would do it), this team will have its missing 3rd scorer.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm not surprised in the slightest. Maybe this will be a lesson to him that there is a price for being a nutcase. Hopefully he'll get his act together.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Man I really wish Landry would hurry up and sign.

8. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

SIGN HIM TO THE ROCKETS!

9. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

He's super athletic, has good size, and can hit lights out from the three. Minus some of his character issues he's a perfect fit for almost any team. Add the fact that Coach A. has a history of keeping players in check (Artest, J. Will, etc.), and he would be an interesting pick-up.

I still wished we picked him up on the cheap when he was a FA back a couple years ago.

10. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I guess it comes down to who you'd rather have, Landry or J.R. Smith.

I actually say Smith, because we need a 3rd scorer at the wing position (headcase) more than we need a finishing back-up 4 (knee history), especially having now drafted Dorsey...

But here's the question, would Denver match any offer for Smith when they just sold Camby for a bag a chips?!?

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ronald Murray was the same player once. I too thought JR could play. Obviously not. He'd be signed if that were the case.

12. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

If we didn't sign Barry, then possibly. It would take a back seat to signing Landry first though. Smith just seems to inconsistent to spend any real money on.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

J.R. can play and has room to grow,it's his mental immaturity that makes teams hesitant to give him a long term contract IMO.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

Smith is restricted and isn't a borderline rotation player. Teams probably know the Nuggets wil match any offer and are stayinhg away a la Landry.

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't believe that. Didn't Flip just get hot when Ray Allen was injured. J.R. is younger, much taller, and can actually shoot BETTER. I think the Nuggets are just trying to cut costs so they'll only give him as much money as the market dictates. I think if someone offered a full MLE contract the Nuggets would match rather quickly. Likewise, other teams won't offer him a deal knowing it will be matched. I think its a similar situation to ours with Landry.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Dude can ball but when Carmelo thinks you are a knucklehead then you have issues.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he can score but he's a pretty low bball IQ player who doesn't really hustle or play D.

only rebuilding teams would be interested in such a player, and they wouldn't want to tie up cap room by signing him to an offer the nuggets couldn't match.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He plays absolutely zero defense. Sometimes I actually think he's letting guys go by on purpose. Talented guy, though.

19. The_Nine_Gates

His defense is painfully bad. No future in the NBA at all unless his defense improves drastically.

20. BleedsRocketRed

This guy is a cancer waiting to spread. Keep him as far away as possible from this team.

His attitude sucks
    His work ethic sucks
    His defense sucks
    His consistancy sucks

Please, keep him away from this team.