1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

J.D. Drew is now Available.. Get it Done Stros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tested911, Nov 10, 2006.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When I heard this (opting out of a 3 year, 33 million dollar deal) I was shocked. I didn't keep up with JD Drew that much, and figured he must have put up a phenomenal season that he was always said to be capable of. .280, 20 HRs, 100 RBIs? 100 RBIs as the main run producer on the 4th best offense in the NL is good, not great.

Gary Matthews Jr. is 32 and hit .313 with 19 HRs and 79 RBIs with a .371 OBP and a .495 SLG.

JD Drew is 30 and hit .283 with 20 HRs and 100 RBIs with a .393 OBP and a .498 SLG.

Matthews also hit out of the leadoff slot- 79 RBIs at the top of the order is virtually unheard of. The only advantage Drew had was a .020 edge in the OBP department. Both are above average defenders, but I would argue Matthews is better and plays a more premium defensive position (CF vs. RF), particularly for MMP.

There's seriously a market in which Drew makes better than 11m per? Nick provides the only possible reasoning - but who in their right minds gives a 4-5 year contract to a guy with Drew's medical charts?

I'll pass. But on the bright side, this increases the offensive player market supply- the hope is that an over inflated guy like Drew doesn't set the market - I'd be terrified to see what Soriano, a guy the same age, twice as many homers, and a threat on the basepaths.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Agree with Nick. I can't wait for the day when everybody starts to turn out and tune out Boras and his clients are left with subpar deals to choose from.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Nick, that makes sense. But I can't imagine someone giving him 5 years.. nor can I see someone giving him even $9 mil right now. I think he'll end up getting a 3 year, $20 mil deal if he settles for it... or signing a 1 year deal somewhere. Shafted either way by Boras.

(I'd take him at end of offseason for the Bonzi discount of 1 year, 2.5 mil with a player option for the next year) ;)

4. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Lee is much better than Drew.

They have the exact same career BA. Lee has been a consistent 30hr 100rbi guy the last 4 years. Drew has only reached 30 home runs once and 100 rbi's once in his career. And he's brittle as hell.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

WE FOUND COMMON GROUND!!!!!! :D

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

"Can you take me higher?"

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'd rather have juwan howard in the rockets lineup than have this guy anywhere near an astros uniform.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Don't underestimate the power of Scott Boras when paired against the incompetent GM/owners of MLB. This is the same man who had a team bidding against themselves, offering a deal close to $100 million more than the next team was offering.

Anyways, he's going to go to gm's, and show some pretty hefty graphs/stats that explain that Drew is a better fit than Soriano, Lee, or anybody else. In reality, Drew HAD the potential to be one of the greatest ever... but his body simply can't hold up for an entire season, ever.

My initial reaction was that somebody out there would be dumb enough to match his current deal (but add more years)... but my gut is telling me (and rooting for) a huge fallout after all the other players sign, and JD is left with nobody.

He's already burned plenty of teams in the NL (those with disposable income) that won't touch him: Philly, St. Louis, Atlanta, and now LA. The Astros don't sign players like this either, so cross them off. The Giants may take a shot if they get rid of Bonds, but them not signing Bonds is because of financial issues... they also want to get younger and healthier. The Padres already have seen what Petco Park did to Brian Giles... they don't need to mess with another subpar free agent in their 30's.

That pretty much leaves us with the Cubs... boy, would that be a match made in heaven. They already got Pinella... if they got JD Drew, that would be about the best off-season for any non-cubs fan ever.

9. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

No interest..... an overrated player rep'd by Boras is a non starter

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Holy crap that is long! Hell no to Drew. He made a huge mistake walking away from that deal. No way someone gives him a significant enough raise to make it worth the time and effort.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

As Nick has said, but I'll echo - this is Boras and Boras is smarter than his adversaries er, MLB GMs. Drew wins again (I'll bet, I'll bet), and that proves Boras' worth. Again.

12. kaleidosky

Assuming they don't re-sign Aramis (he just opted out)...this could at least be the bat they use to replace him. Wow, would they be in for a crappy year if that happened..

13. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

J.D. Drew an Astro? No thanks!

14. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I agree I would rather go after Soriano and Lee first but J.D. is not a bad fall back option. As long as his asking price is realistic.

15. kaleidosky

not that it means everything, but the guys on baseball tonight seemed to agree with you all...that JD will get a better offer than the 11 he woulda made on the old deal b/c of the OF-starved market. crazy..

so no, his asking price will not be realistic for us

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

To hell with him then lol. No way would I pay him 11mil a year. He's a nice ball player but not that nice.

17. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Drew's a much, much better player when he's healthy (obviously that's a pretty big when). They do have the same BA, but Drew has a better SLG by a slim margin (10 pts) and has a better OBP by a huge margin (50 pts). Drew can also play a solid CF, which is also a big plus in his book.

For those of you wondering why he'd opt out of his Dodgers deal, just look at the market. Beyond Soriano and Lee, there are no outfielders available other than Matthews. Drew will get a huge deal from somebody. I think he's a better investment than Sheffield, who just got a gigantic extension from Detroit.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The biggest knock on the guy is HE'S NEVER HEALTHY... which disputes any "he's good when he's healthy" argument.

The fact that he's often injured is no fluke... its a mark of the type of player he is... Nancy Drew.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEECK NAW.
    Would rather bring back Huff than this terd