1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IYO, What Was the Worst Trade the Rockets Ever Did?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manny Ramirez, Jan 24, 2007.

1. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

ill tell you which one hurt the most

hakeem trade to toronto

2. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

we should do a thread on worst draft picks ever. then one on the worst free agent signings ever.

this is making me sick thinking about all of these. :(

3. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I agree here - but add Sampson for Sleepy Floyd, we could have gotten more.

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Not trading Ralph Sampson for Clyde Drexler and the #2 pick in the 1984 draft (where I would have taken Barkley, since Clyde would handle the 2, but some would have taken Jordan) was the worst front office move by the Rockets. Dream, the Glyde, and the Round Mound of Rebound for their whole careers anyone?

5. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Agreed.

6. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

With two solid players from that draft, we would have never sucked bad enough to have won the lottery and drafted Yao.

7. thunder_james

thunder_james Member

I really think is charles barkley deal, which makes rockets lose 3 young players for a lost of a champaign. These three young players are the
    future of that team.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Horry kind of disappeared when he left, bounced around. Even Danny Ainge said he was a shadow of his former self. Had to get on some great teams in order to hit those big open shots. But in the end was somewhat one dimensional. He was never more than a role player, I dont see how he could have carried an aging Rockets team.

Cassell only became a great leader recently and is still a shoot first PG. I would love to watch the guy play but in all honesty we did have Mobley who was similiar, younger, taller, and better defender.

Rockets were one of the worst rebounding teams in the league and got dismantled by the Sonics. They had to address the problems. Barkley and Willis did that.

An often injured and aging Olajuwon, Horry, Drexler, Elie or Mack, and Cassell wouldnt have cut it. Not by a longshot.

Those initial Barkley Rockets when healthy had one of the best records in the NBA. Went far. Were a 3rd qtr Barkley injury away from knocking off the top Jazz from the 8th seed a few years later. *Ill never forget Drexler simply smirking as we blew a huge lead. Barkley wouldnt do that...*

Sorry for picking on you TJ, most people share that view. But personally I dont get it. I think people feel Horry and Cassell were some kind of all-star tandem.

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

That would have been something...Olajuwon, Drexler, and Barkley together at the beginning of their career and not at the end.

Ziggy,

I may just do that...start "IYO, What Was the Best Trade the Rockets Ever Did?"

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

worst move? considering how incredible sampson was at the time, and for the next 2-3 years? I don't think so..

11. rocket3forlife2

Eddie griffen deal.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Barkley Trade
    We lost our Future [Horry and Cassel]
    disrupted the team chemisty
    and
    it facilitated SNOTTY brining his nasty *ss here

Overall Effect. . . Devastating
    Rockets have never really recovered from it

Rocket RIver

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's the one I was going to mention. There were better things we could have done with $15 million. Trading him away was also poorly handled. Pippen did make it hard, but I think we could have gotten more if we weren't in such a hurry to unload him. The whole Pippen saga was a trainwreck.

I'm a big Griffin booster, but that trade probably was the worst in post-championship history. I agree at the time it looked fantastic. But, now we can look at it with 20/20 hindsight. And, in hindsight we ultimately got nothing for those three picks. As for Yao, can one really argue that we shouldn't trashed those 3 picks so that we could get the #1 pick later and get Yao?

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The trade for JBC and Sleepy and the acquisition of Cornbread Maxwell after he was washed up.

The Barkley deal would have won us a title or two if he hadn't gone down to injury in the playoffs.
    At the same time,that team had battled injuries all year and weren't even healthy until the postseaon,if that.
    ET and Bob for the longterm would have been nice,but at the time I approved the move to get over the hump.....Tough call.

Griffin is just a wack job.I remember celebrating with JBC(clutchcity JBC) after dealing those three picks...oh well.

It's not a trade,but having three picks in the first round and not even coming up with Rashard was pathetic...Look at who we drafted.

15. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

I vote for the Barkley trade (Cassell was later traded for Jason Kidd, if I remember correctly).

Does signing Pike and A.Griffin and letting Posey walk count? I'm still mad about that.

Also the Langhi/Najera trade always bothered me a lot more than the Collier trade.

As for trades that never happened but should have, I would include the ones where we wouldn't consider trading Rhodes or Mack.

16. VicVictory

VicVictory Member

Let's see, my pick would be either the Pippen trade or the Barkley trade. Pippen because he was a girl and demaned a trade the next season. Barkley because we got rid of Sam and Robert plus a few other to get him. Not to mention that he gets a career ending injury later on and never won another ship.

Anyways, I'm glad all these bad trades, picks and signings happend. If not for all those, we proabably never would have got the chance to draft Yao or trade for T-Mac.

17. serious black

I agree. Since I'm more fond of this current Rockets team than any since the first championship, I am extremely grateful for every boneheaded decision that has ever been made.

18. Plowman

Supporting Member

"Does signing Pike and A.Griffin and letting Posey walk count? I'm still mad about that."

We got Motumbo out of this.

19. serious black

Like I said in my previous post, I am totally happy about how all of our trades worked out. I'm happy we didn't draft Rashard, happy Eddie Griffin trade happened, happy he was a bust.
    Happy we had Pike's contract to trade for Mutumbo's contract (it seemed at the time that we were trading mistakes).

But looked at in a vacum, the Posey deal is still very upsetting.

20. Plowman

Supporting Member

I hear you.

Posey's a GREAT defender and can hit from downtown some.Another role player needed on teams that are a serious threat.

...and as far as all the deals go..we've won two titles,been contenders many years, and will be contenders for the next 5- 10 years..It's all good.

#60 Plowman, Jan 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2007