1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IYO, What Was the Worst Trade the Rockets Ever Did?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manny Ramirez, Jan 24, 2007.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I doubt we would have sucked enough had we kept Moses to get Hakeem.

2. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Straight up true!!!

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Trade that made me the sickest was Olajuwon for basically Nachbar. All to sign Mo Taylor. Sometimes you have to look past moving on and show some loyalty. Hakeem in purple. Jesus...

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

touche. Though their stats weren't amazingly different. Moses wouldn't have HOF or even All-Star reserve teammates in Houston (Lewis Lloyd and Robert Reid!). Subtract Caldwell's 10 and 7, too.
    Moses ('83-84):23 and 13
    Ralph ('83-84): 21 and 11

Dream was leaving no matter what. It wasn't about loyalty. He was too proud to admit he was no longer a star. Toronto was willing to play along with his daydream.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

There are so many. It makes you wonder how "basketball experts" could do these trades. Maybe they aren't basketball experts.
    Alson/James may not be the the worst, but it is the most recent worst.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Small clarification, but the pick we got was actually the #3 pick, which turned out to be Rodney McCray (fans wanted UH's Clyde Drexler). The Rockets made the trade hoping to get Ralph since the pick they got from Philly was Cleveland's, and the Cavs had the worst record in the league the year before. It also helped them suck a great deal -- so two shots at the #1 pick, and turns out their own 14-win season was enough to get them in the coin flip (and win it).

Houston is the reason we have the lottery and Cleveland is the reason you can't trade all your future draft picks.

7. Nero

Nero Member

Clearly, the 'experts' whose job it is to make these trades become a reality sometimes have their hands forced.

For example, as much as we ridicule that hockey GM in Orlando, he really didn't have a choice - TMac forced him to do *something*, and, as bad as the deal was, it was probably the best he could manage, ESPECIALLY given that TMac had not only made it clear that he was leaving one way or the other, but that he specifically wanted to come to Houston.

That said, as badly as many people feel about the Alston/James deal, you will never be able to convince me that that was purely a basketball move. I will always believe that the Rox were forced into moving MJ by TMac, because it was plain to see that TMac and MJ were not coexisting peacefully on the court, no matter what they say publicly today.

Could also be a large part of the reason why MJ dodged coming back here, even though we pursued him. I doubt he EVER had any real intention of coming back into that situation. (anybody remember that NASTY elbow to TMac's abdomen when we played them earlier? Think that was an accident?) If it wasn't going to be a trade kicker, it was going to be something else.

8. Highwire

Highwire Member

Spanoulis for ***************...

9. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I think it's ridiculous to say the Eddie Griffin trade was a bad one. If you were the GM that day, you would have made the deal.

Armstrong is out of the league, Collins is useless and on draft day Jefferson couldn't hit the midrange or long-range shot, couldn't handle the ball well enough to consistently get FT's, and was considered a low IQ guy. Basically, his ONLY skill was his athleticism. On the other hand, Griffin was the youngest, had the most skills (could rebound, score, block shots) and it seemed all he needed was to put on some muscle and not be so trigger happy (on the court, off the court, in his car, whatever).

Go back to that day and everyone makes the same decision again. Besides, we weren't EVEN going to keep Jefferson, we picked him because NJ told us to pick him.

Battier for Gay and Swift, as I've said before, is not a bad trade. Its just that it could've been better IMO.

Personally, I think the Rockets have done a pretty good job.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I agree. And definitely about Griffin on draft day. On top of what you said, RJ may not have developed as he has without Kidd getting him the ball in the right places for so long. An athletic guy like him may not have thrived here. (look at Iguodala, whose game has stalled after his rookie year because of AI...and is now producing/improving already with a solid PG in Miller)

As far as the thread goes...if I have to choose something, I'd have to just go with Moses since he was still so productive after he left? I'm not old enough to actually know about the details, though--just the stats and all.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

In before the lock.

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Collier was becoming a decent center for the Hawks before his untimely & unexpected death. He was projected to be their starter the next season. His per-40 numbers were good, and by all accounts, he was showing promise.

Maybe it's just the Hawks, but Pryzbilla is getting the same number of minutes as Collier was at the time after 2 more seasons worth of work.. and has no semblance of an offensive game STILL

13. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

I still think the Eddie Griffin deal is the definition of a bust.

3 first-rounders (Richard Jefferson and Jason Collins among those) for him?? That would've given us solid, consistent depth at 2 positions, which is rare from a draft standpoint.

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Scottie Brooks for a 2nd round pick.

When I realized I could be traded to Dallas, it ruined my basketball dreams. :(

Honorable Mention: Roy Rogers (and a 2nd round pick??) for Quitten. (sign and trade, but still)

15. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Shandon Anderson and fodder? for Glen Rice ( 2 years @ 9 mil+ per season)

We could have let Shandon walk-instead we did a sign and trade.....

I hated what we gave for Charles Barkley the fat, but I will not nominate it for the worst.

I guess giving Pippen away for nothing was the worst-we could not bargain due to Scottie's mouth in the media complaining. All the GM's knew we had to give him away...Pippen really did us dirty

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hey Manny when this thread starts to die down you should open a "most lopsided trade in Rox history" topic...

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

LOL... Pro Rockets of course...

18. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

If it wasnt for the eddie griffin deal we would have not sucked bad enough to get the 1st pick and pick up yao. no yao means no tmac since yao was the primary reason tmac chose houston. what would we have with no yao or tmac, we would have a repetitive streak of 05-06 seasons

19. YugoRocketsFan

Mike James for Rafer Alston, if we didnt have Rafer we woulda beat the Nuggets and the Timberwolves, :)

20. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

LOL. Well said. Eddie just kept shooting all over the place. :D

Reminds me of a song by Shaggy:

"Saw you shooting bad jumpshots"
    -"It wasn't me."
    "Saw you shooting at your girlfriend"
    -"It wasn't me."
    "Caught you jerking in your coche"
    -"It wasn't me."
    "They even caught you smoking ganja"
    -"It wasn't me."