1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iverson off hook, almost

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by michecon, Jul 29, 2002.

1. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0729/1411443.html

From espn:

Judge throws out all but a misdemeanor charge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- NBA All-Star Allen Iverson was cleared of all but a misdemeanor Monday at a hearing into charges he stormed into his cousin's apartment with a gun and threatened two men while looking for his wife.

Two counts of making terroristic threats were left standing after the six-hour preliminary hearing to determine whether prosecutors had enough evidence to try Iverson.

``It sounds like you had a relative looking for a relative at the house of a relative,'' Municipal Court Judge James DeLeon said.

The ruling followed testimony from Iverson's two accusers and his cousin Shaun Bowman.

Iverson, the NBA MVP in the 2000-01 season and a three-time league scoring champion, was accused of throwing his wife, Tawanna, out of their home, then barging into Bowman's apartment July 3.

The Philadelphia 76ers guard was arrested on 14 felony and misdemeanor charges, including assault, terroristic threats and weapons offenses. Iverson's uncle also was charged and he, too, now faces only the misdemeanor.

The original charges against Iverson carried a maximum sentence of more than 50 years.

He was the subject of intense local media scrutiny after the allegations surfaced. Hordes of reporters and photographers camped outside Iverson's suburban mansion in the days before he turned himself in July 16 to face the charges.

It's not Iverson's first brush with the law.

As a teenager in 1993, he was arrested after a bowling-alley brawl and spent four months in jail in Virginia before he was granted clemency by the governor. The conviction was later overturned.

In 1997, Iverson pleaded no contest to gun possession.

He also made an unreleased rap CD in which he used derogatory terms for women and gays, and he's fought several times with 76ers coach Larry Brown.

Through it all, Iverson remains enormously popular.

His 76ers jersey is the among the league's top sellers, and Reebok last year gave Iverson a lifetime extension of his 10-year, $50 million endorsement contract.

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Party at AI's house tonight. All of the posse will be there.

3. Stylez

Stylez Member

Well that was a big waste of time, but then again, did anyone think he was gonna spent one second in prison.

4. HenryH

HenryH Member

They never did find a gun, so all the charges were dismissed except for the threat. The threat seems to be the only thing they can charge him with, because of the 2 witnesses.

I think it was fair. Even if he did throw his wife out into the street naked, I don't think there is a crime against that. Nobody said he hit her or held against her.

5. jams3y

jams3y Member

that's such crap... everyone's like "well damn, guess they didn't find the gun...", as if were set in stone that he even had a gun... ppl don't like iverson's image so they assume he's guilty, even though it turns out the dude had his friend lie to the cops, so his delusional / i'm gonna get 100g's off iverson fairy tale wouldn't be w/o merit... see you in the league next yr ai, keep lightin ppl up... but while you're at it, let's end all this tossingwifeoutthehousenaked nonsense, ok?

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why did anyone ever believe two druggies passed out on a couch from smoking drugs to begin with?

"Hey, lets say he pulled a gun on us, and he kicked his wife out naked in the streets. Yeah, cool, man."

Of course he is after money, just like everyone who ever provoked a fight with Barkley in a bar.

7. ktheintz

ktheintz Member

Typical: 300 posts on "Kick Iverson Out of the NBA" thread, five on this one (before mine). If the Iverson-haters had any integrity, <i>this</i> thread would have 300 posts, mostly from people apologizing for rushing to judgment.<p>
    The police spokesman who said "Stay tuned" with the feces-eating smirk ought to be fired for creating this basis-free media circus. "Stay tuned" for two misdemeanor charges, which probably won't stick?

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the stay-tuned is a reference to the possibility od re-filing the charges that were thrown out. The witness who recanted about the gun said he saw a black object at Iverson's waist but didn't know if it was a gun. So, he didn't completely withdraw the assertion.

On apologies, I'll lead the charge (hello? is anyone following? :) ). I did defend Iverson after a fashion anyway, but I did assume he had a gun. His probably not having one afterall doesn't really keep him from being a thug, but he's at least not a complete fool as I initially thought.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I haven't paid much attention to the story, but everyone seems to make it sound like he was waving a gun around threating to shoot him. I think if I was that rich, I'd carry a gun too.

What next? He had car keys and they felt threatened he would run him over? Who gives a crap. Let the jury decide.

10. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

It was, reportedly, his two-way motorola pager---which police DID find at his residence.

11. Stylez

Stylez Member

I never really thought Iverson had a gun it just didn't make much sense for him to be that stupid. I think he went over there and I think he threatend some dudes but he just had a fight w/ his wife and he was pissed. And has it been proven that he thre her out of the house naked? I know he kicked her out b/c she was at a hotel but I couldn't believe that he threw her out naked. I don't really like AI that much but I knew this case was going nowhere and got blown out of proportion.