1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I've Seen Enough - Asik Should Start

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dk808, Apr 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Yes, and in 2014 they're still averaging the same rebounds per game (if you take into account Asik playing consistent minutes). In fact with a messed up shoulder and back in 2013 Howard averaged more rebounds per game than Asik. Asik is a very solid, dependable player, but people are crazy saying they would take him over Howard. I'm sure there are teams looking at Asik, but they would do backflips if you offered Howard because he is clearly the superior player.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

50/50 minutes is what it should be

3. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

If NBA wasnt so racist he would get one every week.

One of the main reasons though is because Dwight goes up to block everything, while Asik is more of a "straight up and down" defender thats why Asik is always in good position for rebound

4. mesta

mesta Member

come on man. why a dividing thread like this? let's just enjoy the win

5. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Lol this can't be a serious thread but I believe Asik will play a ton in the playoffs with Dwight. Jones can't hold Aldridge. Don't mess up the chemistry.

6. Soft Takes

Soft Takes Rookie

I love Asik to death and he has he heart of a lion but I think in the games Dwight's been healthy this year, he has looked awesome at times too. I wish one of them could shoot a little then they could play together

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Jesus, I remember when Yao went down and Mutombo would have these 20 rebound games... just because the backup center plays big in a few games doesn't mean he should be handed the starting job lol.

Asik is a starting quality center who hopefully will be traded this summer for some quality bench pieces/assets.

8. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Agreed with OP. I love Asik's inability to catch passes and miss 2 foot bank layups.

9. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Btw, I was in no way agreeing with the OP, just mentioning what I saw. Its pretty stupid to think we are better with Asik than Howard. We have looked horrible since he went out.

10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Man I believe the Thunder should have started Harden instead of Durant lol shut up with the Asik should be starting BS.

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Howard is also in the running for the rebounding title this year as well. He is currently the two-time reigning and "defending" rebounding champion and has won something like 5 of the last 6 rebounding titles.

12. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

I actually agree. What Howard brings is the offensive game. In our current starting lineup we have Bev, Harden, Parsons, and Jones. All capable of putting up huge offensive numbers around and outside the board.

But your second unit only has Lin and whoever is on fire for the night. If you put Howard in the 2nd unit, we would have very balanced Defensive Offensive game for both bench and start. Meaning we could potentially have a full game power threat. That's freaken scary.

Asik and Howard are pretty equal defensively. So putting him at the starting unit would open more shots for Harden, Parsons, Bev and Jones. While Howard in the 2nd unit would open more shots for him.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He hasn't started because he wasn't good enough. How is that a point in his favor? Geez.

14. bonny1

bonny1 Member

If howard can commit to PnR like Asik did, our offense would be much more efficient. He should only post up against some certain matchups.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Wait............so your saying starter who gets the majority of the minutes in each game has more rebounds in each game?

[​IMG]

Over the last two years Omer has more per 36 minutes than Howard. 12.8 vs 13.7

16. mclawson

mclawson Member

I'm not sure he should start, but I'm seriously leaning toward him always finishing. It's such a luxury to have both players, but I think Asik might play bigger in bigger moments these days. He surely doesn't shrink in clutch time.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Yeah right. Have you had a positive IQ test lately? Thought not.

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

The whole forum would've been LOLing at your comment a few months ago. Funny how things change now that Asik has bought into the program, most certainly aided by Dwight's injury.

19. basketballholic

Yeah....cuz Jones can shoot a little so he is so much better??????????????

hate to tell you guys but ..... Asik is making a great case for re-visiting the Twin Towers. Because Jones has no shooting range either.

So you tell me....since Jones can't help our offensive spacing because he shoots 30% from everywhere on the court except when he dunks and shoots lay-ups, then who would you rather have out there beside Asik.....Dwight or Jones???

You see...any way you look at this situation you can't deny the argument that the Twin Towers should have validity. Omer Asik is better than Jones defensively in space. He's longer, he bothers big shooters more, he has quick feet to recover and swipe backside when a smaller big attempts to go around him. And he's an expert at pick-and-roll defense. And Dwight is better than Jones finishing down low.

IF....McHale would understand the big matchups...he would understand that we have to re-visit the Twin Towers if we are going to win a championship this year.

20. basketballholic

By the way, for you nerds, Asik probably just edged past Dwight in TRB% tonight.