1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I've been to the show(very long)

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Castor27, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

wow. Just got back in town after a whirlwind trip. We left friday afternoon and did not stop doing baseball stuff the whole time in SD. I was sick as a dog the entire trip but other than that it was a awesome experience. we arrived in SD to 68 degree temp(and BTW I was very disappointed that we did not get to see more of the city. The part we saw was absolutely beautiful) just in time to rent a car and head to Qualcom. The Friday game was good. Bautista threq well but no run support and getting dinked to death hurt him. We sat in the family section right behind his parents and one of my favorite sim league players' (Mike Myers) parents. After the gam ewe got to go to the visitors exit to wait for Jon to come oput of the clubhouse. While waiting we saw Randy Johnson, Gonzo, Finley, and a ton of other players (no Schilling). I must say the toughest part of the trip was putting away my urges as a fan and acting like standing 10 feet away from Randy Johnson et al was no big deal. Some observations on these guys. The Unit is huge. Steve Finley is much taller and filled out than I expected and Gonzo is much smaller than I thought. We were all kinda tired so John and his parents went to eat and we went to the Hotel(We stayed at the Marriott Marina,which was the team hotel. My room had a balcony overlooking the bay and there were aircraft carriers sitting right in front of me). THe next morning brought our only bit of sightseeing. We did not want to see John and create any anxiety so we stayed away from him and took in some sights along the marina. We strolled around a shopping area that I guess I could compare to the Strand in Galveston but that would be doing it a grave injustice. It was 3 times bigger and the shops had actual things yo uwould want to buy. Not touristy crap. That nite we went out to the field about 5:30. They were having some huge Firefighting fair(the Pads were honoting the local FD) so the parking lot was already packed. We got our tix from Will call. I got an extra so I would have one that was not torn. Made out way to our seats and decided to eat(note to self: if you feel like your sick don't eat.) On another side note: Why is it that everyplace in SD feels the need to sprinkle naything they can find on French Fries. The satdium had Garlic cheese fries(and the cheese was like shredded mozeralla sp?). they smelled terrible. OK back to the trip. We saw BP. John hit first,well bunted his first time up then hit a few flys to mid OF. Second time up he hit his third pitch over the 368 sign in L-CF. I think he will probably get a Kangaroo Court fine for having people cheer for him during BP. Game time: all of us are on edge really nervous(well I wasn't because I had a dream that he pitched good and then we all went fishing. And before anyone asks, no the second part did not come true ;) ). Mike and Miguels parents were back, as well as, Matt Williams kids. John comes out in teh first and gets a f-9, K(on Kotsay), F-7. And yes I kept a scorecard and no I am not going to go inning by inning giving it to you here. With the exception of a bad pitch to No hitting Tom Lampkin he threw great. He said he got a little tired in the sixth but some stellar D got him out of it. After they took him out we were all kinda relieved and glad he had a phenomonal outing. He threw real well and thankfully they came back and tied it up so hew wasn't saddled with a loss.After the game John had been invited to attende a party at Jr. Seau's club(thrown by Mark Grace). He chose though to celebrate at Morton's Steakhouse with every in-bred cousing in his family(Grace's words not mine). Another note to self:Don't get sick when you are invited to one of the most expensive resteraunts around and someone else is paying(in other words I ate absolutely nothing). At dinner John related one of the funniest baseball stories I have heard in a long time. It seems that in the past couple of years Randy Johnson, who has been a hard to approach guy, and moreso on days he pitches(mor eon this in a minute), has really lightened up on days he doesn't pitch. Well during the Saturday game he and Schilling were sitting next to John. Well in the top of the 4th during Oliver Perez's (who also therw a great game IMO)warmup pitches, some girl above the D-Backs dugout dropped her Cell Phone on the field. Unit goes out and retrieves it. Instead of giving it right back he turns it on and scrolls thru the speed dial numbers. He finds one for someone named Jasmin and hits the call button. The girls answering machine picks up and he says" Hey Jasmin, This is the Unit. i am throwing tomorrow and I will leave you 2 tickets at will call. Hope to see you at the game." How would you feel if you came home and heard Randy Johnson leaving you a message on you rmachine. I bet I sure would be at will call the next day to see if I had tix :). All in all it was a great trip. We had fun and John proved he belonged there. Ohh and the other thing about Johnson. I missed getting to ride the elevator with him but John's mother did today. She said he was real focused and kept looking down. So she started a conversation with him. So if Randy Johnson ever reads this message. I apologize if she meessed up your concentration and caused you to have a bad outing. And now that I have retold all this I am exhausted and must go to bed.

CK

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Castor--

That is AWESOME dude!!!! I'm glad you had a good time and I'm sure it was very exciting. You know that all of us CC.neters are living vicariously through you right now. :cool:

3. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

great stuff!
    What is his name? do you have a link to the box score?

4. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

I believe his name is John Patterson.

Box Score

6 innings, 3 hits allowed, 1 ER, 4 Ks. Great 1st outing.

5. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Hoopgod your correct. BTW forgot to mention earlier that Bob Brenley gave him the lineup card from the dugout wall and the ball he used to strike out Kotsay.

CK