1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ivan Rodriguez Signs

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rmoreno, Feb 15, 2009.

1. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3909861

didn't see it posted.

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

hah....was just coming to post this.

"I don't know where I'm going to play, but a team is going to win the lotto when I sign," Rodriguez said Sunday night in an interview with The Associated Press.

i believe him, and he brings a passion to the game that makes him fun to watch. he's cheap, has a chip on his shoulder, and something to prove. oh, and he's 50 million times better than what we have.

it's gonna be really disheartening and upsetting if we dont sign him.

3. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

Sign him up!

4. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

man we would also have a solid lineup, to help with the horrible rotation that we have.

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

So another past his prime aging player but he's a big marketable name. And he's not a pitcher? Greeaaat.... like the team really needs that

Wait
    [​IMG]

okay maybe he fits right on in after all...

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

brad ausmus was "a big marketable name"?? on what planet? and pudge past his prime demolishes ausmus' "prime", if he ever had such a thing.

8. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

it would be nice

9. Republic

Republic Member

It would be nice, but I don't see how it really benefits the Astros or Ivan. It's not like we're 1 player away from the World Series. If he wants to win, he should look elsewhere. This upcoming season is going to be ugly. I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. We don't have near enough pitching.

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

really simple answers: he improves our team, and he can't get playing time with any other team in the league apparently.

understand that the nl central is still an awful division, with it's two best teams worse than they were last year (the brewers significantly worse), and throw in that you can pretty much cross out the nl west as a possibility for where the wild card is coming out of. hope. springs. eternal. gimme pudge and a prayer. our lineup would be great. play over our heads the first half of the season like we did in the second half last year. have hampton or somebody else emerge in a big way, and trade for peavy (or another top arm) at the deadline. it's that simple. anything can happen in the mlb folks.

11. Republic

Republic Member

Well, yeah, it technically improves our team. However, I meant that it doesn't do so to the degree that this becomes an "important" transaction. If we had a pitching staff that was solid, and needed a slight boost to our lineup (defensively and offensively) to put us over the top, then it makes sense to get him. I just think priorities should be elsewhere. I don't like the fact this type of move looks like a "consolation prize" leftover from all the Yankee signings, etc. Know what I mean?

12. msn

msn Member

with what??

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

cardpire??? is that you??? optimism in an astros thread??? :D

hope springs eternal, indeed. can't wait for the 'stros to get started.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

this is the first year i can remember where i'm not excited. signing pudge would change that in a huge way.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

If we sign Pudge it would be a relief.

Honestly I don't trust Quintero or Towles behind the plate at this time. And Castro of course is still straight outta college.

16. msn

msn Member

I'm excited about baseball, but not about the Astros' prospects. If Hampton returns to anything remotely close to '99 form, *that* will be exciting. He was my favorite back in the day.

17. MadMax

If Hampton can stay healthy and pitched like he did last season I'll be THRILLED!

18. msn

msn Member

I didn't follow him in the least. I'll have to look him up.

19. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

We shouldn't overpay, but what is left of Pudge is probably lots better than we have had for many years. Ausmus served the Astros the best he could but once he was no longer able to throw runners out, his usefulness was sort of limited to helping attract free-agent pitchers and being a security blanket for pitchers already on staff. Which was kind of expensive at the cost of 3 or 4 out of 27 outs.

20. MadMax

I don't think he had a great season...but I think his second half was good, if i remember right.

I'm more concerned with the number of starts he can give us, frankly. I think he's smart enough to be effective...