1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ITT: We speculate on our offensive scheme next year (Halfcourt or otherwise)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 7, 2013.

1. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

First off I think it's incredible that we (i.e. Morey) got two superstars in back to back offseasons for peanuts and an ipad. It's all the more impressive because their talents happen to fit perfectly together. Yes it's Big + Guard which is great in its own right, but the play styles of the two mesh together on a much deeper level.

SVG probably perfected the system that's best for Dwight. You surround him with 3pt shooters and force defenses to either double Howard (and take a beating from beyond the arc) or play tight perimeter defense and give Howard easy interior points. Lots of pick and rolls.

The thing is, we're a few minor moves and acquisitions from being a supercharged version of those Magic teams. James Harden fits into the "Dwight System" so well it's insane. He's a great pick and roll player. His shot chart was designed by Morey in a lab and consists entirely of shots in the paint/shots beyond the arc. He's a good facilitator. He's better than any teammate Dwight had on those teams. Now if the paint is clear Harden can drive and draw his obligatory fouls, he can drive and dump it off to Howard for easy points, he can drive and kick it out for a 3. Howard/Harden pick and rolls with the way this team is built should be monstrous. Howard will get some post ups as well of course. Not sure how confident I am that he will significantly improve there, but with McHale he's definitely got the opportunity. If you watch his post ups it's not that he's completely inept, he just looks very stiff on more complex maneuvers. Like you can imagine him thinking "okay now I do the right spin, now I do the left spin, now up and under aaaand miss. ****.". It just seems a bit forced/unnatural. He'll never be Hakeem, but you probably don't need extreme finesse when you can just do this to people:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KauLEbIz8mY

His post ups mostly involve some combination of hooks and straight overpowering the defender with size/strength/vertical. Here's a nice HD video from 2011 before his injury that gives a decent overview of his offensive skills. Some post ups, some PnR, some alley oops, some random other stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe36-i4ucI

Basically i'm saying we should have everything required for a great halfcourt offense in addition to our fantastic transition offense. No excuse for Harden isoball, and I really don't expect it to happen. Sorry for the wall of text, and lots of this is info that most already know.

2. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

3. JBar

JBar Rookie

The Rockets will have a much better and more varied half-court game. That's for sure. Yet I hope that doesn't mean the pace will slow down. I still think the team should take every opportunity to run. With the current roster, I don't think anyone should have to play huge amounts of minutes. I hope McHale tells his players, including his two superstars: "We're going to run at every opportunity and we're going to play 48 minutes of hard defense. We've got the depth to do that. Consequently, no one should be expecting to average minutes in the high 30s."

4. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Good idea. If Asik doesn't leave and the PFs can play some, a ten men rotation wouldn't be bad. Surprised to just find out Dwight doesn't score in transition in the advanced stats thread. I'm not sure about Garcia and Anderson at backup SG (Garcia is more of a SF now). Maybe sign an SG? Bev and Lin playing together isn't all that bad anyways.

~lol~ either it's too complicated or it's too unorganized? ;)

Anyways, let's hope Lin improves his three point shooting to spread the floor and he can of course, run some PnR with Dwight also. Dwight's post up is really quite bad, can't even get past Bonner, maybe McHale and Dream can fix it but PnR still should be the main weapon.

One option I envision would be Lin running a PnR with Dwight, then the second option would be pass it to Harden who's a deadly three point shooter. He fakes (defender must respect his shot) then run another PnR with Dwight. That's going to open up a lot of easy opportunities.

5. aznboi

aznboi Contributing Member

I think you just posted this a little too late in the night haha. I'm riding on McHale teaching him how to be a better big man.

6. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

It will start from inside/outside. That's the biggest change in the system. we averaged a pultry and league low 3.5 ppg on postup plays. Expect that to change dramaticly next season.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Not to be a debbie downer but I don't think Dwight's post game will improve, even with the help of McAwesome and Dream.

We should be content with PnR and the occasional power through slam. I'm most excited about all the open looks our boys will get from the arc.

8. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Dwights post game is light years ahead of anything we've had since Yao.Last season if we had anyone with an above average post game when the outside shots weren't falling we would have beaten okc.Infact we would have finished in the 4 or 5th position.

9. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Here's an interesting article from last summer, comparing Bynum and Howard (this was before Bynum lost all credit in Philly). It talks a bit about Howard and how his post game isn't that bad... it just definitely doesn't look good.

Full article: http://hoopspeak.com/2012/07/dwights-game-is-fine-it-just-looks-terrible/

Section about Howard specifically: