1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Fantasma Negro

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Broncos are totally fine going into the season with Siemian, Lynch & a draft pick.
    Texans are totally fine going into the season with Tom Savage, Brandon Weeden & a draft pick.
    Jerry is totally fine holding onto Tony & is under no deadline or pressure to release him.
    Tony is weighing offers from ESPN, FOX, CBS, NBC

[​IMG]

Please @ me when there is real news. ;)

Rodman23, Yaosthirdleg and justtxyank like this.
  3. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why would Romo want the Texans to give up a pick if it would (conceivably) make the team weaker and lessen his chances of winning?

In before the Rick Smith can't draft anyway replies.....

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

So he can make 14m next season and not the lower amount the Texans will offer if signed as a free agent

5. liveguy

liveguy Member

Hopefully the Texans moved along 3 weeks ago....

Jones trying hard as he can to squeeze that turnip drier than it already is...

6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's gotta know anyone - including Romo himself - would want to renegotiate the contract in any trade scenario.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And that no one is trading anything at all for him. EVERY team that has any interest whatsoever in him playing for them next season is waiting for him to be cut. Until Jerry cuts him, nothing will happen.

8. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Give them a Third:

2003: Tony Hollings -lol
    2004: Glenn Earl - Never did crap.....
    Wasnt realy a 3rd round pick (bexause of a trade I think), but he was the third player picked
    2005: Vernand Morency lol
    2006: Charles Spencer - Could have been great, but the injury messed him up.
    2007: Jacoby Jones - was alright, but that muff in the Ravens playoff game! I could never like hm after that.
    2008: Steve Slaton - a flash in the pan - Antwaun Molden - was am ok ST player but nothing special.
    2009:: Antoine Caldwell - lol
    2010: Earl Mitchell - played very well, not Pro-Bowl level, a good guy, that played hard
    2011 Brandon Harris - Dude suckes ass!
    *Not really a 3rd round pick (bexause of a trade), but he was the third player picked.
    2012: DeVier Posey - Never did jack-sh!+ here!- Brandon Brooks: great player but the Texans couldnt get him signed....
    2013: Brennan Williams - I guess....he kinda sucked. lol
    2014: C. J. Fiedorowicz - Looks like he may turn out OK, I'm thinking OD Lite... Louis Nix III - LMAO!! Epic!
    2015: Jaelen Strong - Took awhile to get the hang of things, then looked great, but has a problem staying on the field.
    2016: Braxton Miller - Seems to be struggling. I stull have lots of hope for him, and hope he suceeds.

Of those 3rd round picks IMO 8 of them were complete trash! With the infamous Texans third round disasters, I say go for it. He could not be any worse than what they have been getting in the third round. I will give them props for the past copule years though.

#1268 Creepy Crawl, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It would balance out the 3rd round pick the Cowboys traded to the Texans for Drew Henson.

Creepy Crawl likes this.
  10. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Answer me this....why the hell hasn't Jerry Jones and Romo restructured Romo's contract to facilitate his trade value? If Jerry wants some kind of compensation for Romo, this would seem to be step one. Perhaps Romo wants to explore every last possibility of having his cake and eating it too?

11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought he was a good player. Am I remembering wrong?

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Had a great td catch in second round vs Pats. That's about it.

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

It seems to me that Dallas would be the most motivated party. There's the $9 million roster bonus, and if Romo turns on Jerry, they stand to lose a lot of clout among players and agents.

Whether it's actually true or not, Romo will be viewed as a victim if Dallas goes against his ultimate wishes.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...heart-dallas-cowboys-houston-texans/99792282/

“I have his interest at the top of my list,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones told USA TODAY Sports. “How this thing evolves over the next few weeks or months will be dictated by what Tony wants to do.”

Jones gave legitimacy to what has been widely speculated — that Romo, who will be 37 next month, hasn’t made a final decision about whether he even wants to continue his career. Romo barely played over the past two seasons because of three major injuries and lost his job to rookie Dak Prescott last year.

“As we stand here talking about these circumstances,” Jones said, having stepped out of a meeting for a break, “he has some of the best options you could have. But I think he can still win at a championship level.”

I asked Jones about the mixed reports that surfaced before the start of free agency and whether he and Romo had agreed on the quarterback being released.

“It’s definition,” Jones said.

In other words, when Jones thinks “release,” he apparently mean release or trade.

“There’s ambiguity with this,” he added.

Texans owner Bob McNair, who got burned in last year's Brock Osweiler gamble, clearly has a sense of the Romo dynamics in play with Jones.

“He saw the trade we made,” McNair told USA TODAY Sports, alluding to the startling deal that sent Osweiler, his $16 million salary for 2017 and a second-round pick to the Cleveland Browns in a pay dump. “(Jones) wants to make a trade. I understand that.

“But he’s between a rock and a hard place with that.”

One thing is for certain: Jones’ “do-right rule” wouldn’t frown on Romo playing for the Texans, even if it presents the awkward scenario of one of the most popular players in Cowboys history landing with their intrastate rivals. In Houston, Romo’s doings would be big news in Dallas — perhaps even stealing attention away from the Cowboys.

But Jones scoffed at the notion.

“That would not be a problem for me,” he said.

McNair put the prospect of Dallas being stung by a Romo revival inside a bigger picture.

“If he ends up anywhere and Dak doesn’t play well, it won’t look good,” McNair said. “I don’t know that (Jones is) worried about that.”​

Fullcourt likes this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

That JJ quote is such BS and that Mcnair comment is damning

16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

McNair needs to keep his cards a little closer to the chest, IMO.

whag00 likes this.
  17. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

He's becoming the old guy who doesn't give a damn and has no filter.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

He has entered a golf tournament for the 1st time since 2013

19. Fullcourt

In regards to the notion that Cowboys might keep Romo:

20. Fullcourt

It honestly wouldn't be shocking if either of those guys fell apart before Romo does. Romo is from the Rivers draft class and Brees is older. I'd much rather acquire Romo than give up "Watts". Pretty absurd notion to me.