1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's just no need to. With Romo saying that he'll either play for the Texans or retire there's absolutely no reason to trade anything for him. It's just a matter of time until the Cowboys release him. Don't play for something that is "free". You'd just be throwing a 5th round pick away for no reason.

2. Nook

Nook Member

How many free agents have the Texans lost out on?

Is your position that the Texans were not going to be active in free agency regardless?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"lost out on"? As far as we know, 0 that they were interested in. It's not like they don't have the cap space to make moves and still have plenty left over for Romo and Nuk.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

Where did he say he's retiring or playing for the Texans? Why believe that rumor to be true over everything else?

If the Texans actually want Tony Romo, and could have ended all this with a 5th rounder, they continue to somehow never cease to amaze me with their sheer idiocy (understatement). I never have much problem beating a dead horse, but the Texans have managed to get the best of me. Not much more to say about their front office ineptitude.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a fair point, it's not a direct quote, it has just been widely rumored that he said that so you can't take it as fact.....but there's a ton of smoke.

The talk about trading for him is still a bit weird, if the Texans jumped the gun and immediately traded a 5th for Romo the second it was discussed then the talk would be about how they wasted a 5th round pick for a player who was going to be released anyway and how that was mismanagement.....which it would be. Now that they don't jump the gun and waste assets on a guy who is going to be released that is widely rumored to only want to play in Houston people complain that they didn't waste those resources to make it happen faster.

I think certain "fans" are just looking for any excuse to bash the Texans, or rather that's what it seems like.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He didn't. An ESPN reporter did. But if it's true, then Romo is sending a message to the Texans and forcing Jones' hand, which is good for us, obviously.

I've long advocated they deal a pick and end the charade - but if, through back channels, they know for a fact Romo wants Houston, then I'm OK with waiting it out and keeping the assets. If I'm Denver (or another potentially interested team), the threat of retirement would give me pause to deal any assets.

IslandB.O.I. likes this.
  8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If you're willing to admit this as a possibility (the GENERAL you, not you specifically), then why should we as fans lose patience and clamor for a trade? It's fairly obvious that neither the Texans or the Broncos are going into this completely in the dark about what Romo would do should he hit the open market. His people would have made sure to get his intentions out there so as to waste as little time, and cause as little drama as possible. I think that's as fair an assumption to make as any, INCLUDING assumption that the Texans have their heads up their asses and are scrambling to screw this up as badly as possible.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Translation: We're screwed.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

What's Elway supposed to say? "The guys we have on our roster stink; we want the guy on that other team's roster"? Here's what Elway said about Tebow before dumping him for Peyton:

cardpire, Two Sandwiches and J.R. like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Yup:

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

I for one wouldn't be complaining. I've already said that essentially trading a 2nd rounder for a 1-year trial of Osweiler was a reasonable gamble. Pretty sure I wouldn't complain much about unnecessarily wasting a 5th, if that was what happened.

There's a hold-up of some sort, that much is fact. If Jones wanted to cut Romo, the Texans wanted to sign him, and Romo wanted to sign with the Texans, it all would've happened by now.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I can't wait for Rick Smith to jump in and say he feels the Texans have the two best QBs in the league on his roster, in Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden.

J.R. likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's the unnecessary part that I'd have a problem with. When it comes to Osweiler, you picked him up as a FA and it took a 2nd to dump him....that wasn't unnecessary if the goal was to get him off the roster.

When it comes to Romo, he's going to be cut. There's no question about that. The Cowboys aren't going to keep him on the books as a backup at his current salary and Romo doesn't even want that. No team is going to be foolish enough to trade for a player that is obviously going to be cut who is putting out word that he only wants to play for one team or retire. Wasting a pick is completely unnecessary to get Romo on the roster thus I'm against it.

Unnecessarily wasting picks like that is what bad franchises do.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Would say a lot about their QB evaluations

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

The great ones go into season after season with cripples, projects, journeymen, busts, and has-beens at qb every year of their existence, then worry about losing a 5th rounder when the stars finally align and a franchise qb is staring them in the face.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny that you refer to Romo as a "franchise QB" instead of a "cripple journeyman" which is probably how more people view him. If you take a step back, you might see that you are suggesting the smart move for a franchise is to give up a pick to be able to pick up a QB that is now in the "cripple journeyman" stage of his career who is about to be released and that only wants to play for the franchise you are suggesting should give up picks to get him.

I mean, it makes perfect sense for you to keep pushing this idea if you are a Cowboys fan looking to get something for Romo before he's cut for nothing, but it makes no sense if you are a Texans fan or even a neutral party arguing for something that would benefit the Texans.