1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. So they can cut him without taking an extra cap hit.....but he'll still count 19 mil towards the cap.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So they came up with 17 QB's ever and of those QB's 6 of them threw as many or more interceptions than Osweiler did last year. That's not exactly comforting. I'm still all for trying because the Texans have nothing to lose, but it's not a slam dunk type of move.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This year, and then $6MM next year - if he's designated as a 6/1 release. (It's a full $25MM this year if he's released pre 6/1.) And while they can execute the release as early as March, the money does not come off the books until 6/1, which is why releasing him now doesn't really make a ton of sense. They'd have to carry that $19MM through free agency and the draft.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I agree, it still doesn't make much sense, but it makes more sense than cutting him before that and eating an extra 6 mil. It's still the case that if they pick up Romo and draft a QB Savage should be the one that is cut because the team will need all the cap savings they can get.

5. Hey Now!

Plus, he's (slightly) older than Osweiler with less NFL experience; in terms of back-ups, I'd rather roll with Osweiler, who may yet, with another year in the system, this time working closely with a veteran, emerge as a potential heir apparent. And if they do take that route (Romo/Osweiler), I hope they don't waste a valuable resource on what'll essentially be a third-stringer next year. (And presumably a back-up the next two after that, as I assume Romo will sign no less than a three-year deal.)

I recognize the need to find an heir apparent QB - but there's a greater urgency to take advantage of this defense/our skill positions; a 1, 2 or 3 could have a tremendous impact on the 2017 Texans.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hey I'm right there with you on that, I think there's no reason to cut Osweiler and IMO there's no QB in this class worth drafting very early, in fact Mayock agrees that there is not any day one starters in this class.

If that's true, the early picks are MUCH better used on more pressing needs than a lottery ticket.....but I won't be upset so long as the first rounder is used on a solution at OT.

7. Hey Now!

Jesus Christ, this needs to die a quick, painless death. He's thrown 8 TDs and 2 INTs in six playoff games. His career postseason QB rating is 93. One loss was on a botched field goal; the other a botched catch.

If you have concerns about his playoff record, you are lazy and your opinion has no validity.

raining threes likes this.
  8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

No its not that simple.

Man stick with what you have and draft a QB. We also need to bulk up the offensive line. Cushing time is up so we need to look for his replacement. We do not have a cover linebacker. Pay Bouye and give JoJo his walking papers.

We don't need a broken down Romo and Jimmy G is not the answer either.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I honestly know nothing of the NFL cap, but I didn't think the 6 mil would count. I didn't know enough to call you on it. Nice job correcting yourself. Props.

houstonstime likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The NFL cap is ridiculously complicated so it can lead to all sorts of misunderstandings like that. When I first checked it, I didn't see the option to cut him without the extra hit. Either way though, we're still talking about paying someone 19 mil to NOT be on the roster and 6 mil next season just so that you can keep around a different guy that hasn't shown an ability to play well OR even stay healthy who would allow for cap savings if cut.

It just still doesn't make sense, but it's not as bad as I first thought it would be.

11. Two Sandwiches

In the "not wasting valuable resources" department, I would absolutely LOVE it if the Texans waited until the third round to take their new, third string, backup QB. I know McNair does not have the balls to do it. The kid with legitimately the most talent in the draft from a QB. He has Brett Favre written all over him....Chad Kelly.

I honestly haven't talked about him much, because I know the Texans won't take him. He didn't get an invite to the combine because of off field issues. He's got problems, but supreme talent.

Of the people in the draft, in my opinion, Kelly and Mahomes will be the two best.

And, honestly, your argument for cutting Savage makes sense. I don't necessarily disagree with it.

If it were up to me, honestly, at this point, I would take a tackle in the first. Try to get one of the speedy linebackers in the second. Take Kelly in the third. A guard like Bisnowaty from Pitt in the fourth. James Conner in the fifth, and I'd go best available after that.

Move Kareem to safety. Re-sign Bouye, or franchise him. If you're feeling froggy, cut Cushing, and try and bring him back later at a smaller deal. Sign Romo. Backload it to where he's not a huge cap hit or next year.

Thats a Super Bowl - caliber team that is set up for the future.

#671 Two Sandwiches, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    raining threes likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I could see things going that way. I don't know about Kelly though, there's a ton of red flags about him when it comes to leadership and off the field nonsense. I really haven't given him much thought after i heard he was disinvited from the combine.....that's kind of a big deal. He's got some talent, but damn I wouldn't feel good about spending a high pick on him.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Basically Chad Kelly is going to have to dispel the notion that he is a less talented version of Johnny Manziel and I'm not sure he can do that. I could even see him going undrafted as a result.

14. Two Sandwiches

He will definitely have to shed that label. The third round is honestly too high for him. If he's there in the sixth round, he's worth a look for sure. Honestly, I think he has the best film in the class.

As you said. The off field is very concerning. It's too bad Jim Kelly has to be associated with him, as Kelly is a class act. Maybe Jim can reign him in. Chad is big time boom or bust, much like Manziel was. He could be out of the league in three years, as well.

15. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

For once I can't totally disagree with you. Perhaps you do hold onto Osweiler if you sign Romo and hope student learns from teacher since you're cap hit next year is the same either way. Even if we disagree, I appreciate your passion. I'll let you keep Osweiler for now.....as long as you grant me Romo ; )

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Cousins?

Said greater than 50 percent chance he's not the skins qb next year

17. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

We don't have the cap space. Any qb needy team would love to have cousins, but the only rumors ive seen about him leaving is to reunite with Baby Shanahan in SF.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Not many top ten QB's winning in the league either. So....?

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member