1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In fairness, Peyton Manning led to Broncos to being completely embarrassed in the SB. By the time they actually won one it was really in spite of him being terrible rather than because of him.....and if not for Osweiler taking over for Manning and giving the Broncos a boost, they'd have never even made the playoffs at all that season.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yeah, because Texans fans are so used to seeing a QB for their team average close to 5000 yds and 44 tds a season. Lets not take a chance on a qb like that. I guess I'd rather never see my team make a SB than to see them get embarrassed in one. o_O

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

given we have two serviceable qbs on the roster, the injury risk w Romo is worth the reward

can't waste Watt's prime, a Romo signing would be rolling the dice short term without mortgaging the future long term

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, so if the QB put up numbers like that then it would be okay to flame out in the playoffs? I mean, you do know that when they won it all Manning had closer to 2000 yards with only 9 TD's and 17 interceptions.....right? Most teams crater if their QB is that bad but the Broncos built up a good enough team to win despite Peyton Manning being terrible and that's the ONLY reason why they won anything with him there.

6. donkeypunch

Sure man. If you believe in your heart of hearts that he wouldnt have helped us to a chip, thats good on you. Im sure most posters would disagree and would have welcomed him with open arms. Thank god we got the savior of that SB Broncos team to come sign with us and lead us to the promiseland.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure he'd have made the team better, but given how he choked in the playoffs and how the Texans never had anywhere near the team the Broncos ended up with and given that the one year he tried to co-exist with Kubiak they had a ton of problems.....I don't think anyone can assume that the Texans would have won anything with Manning. In fact, they'd probably be b****ing now that it was a bad idea and set the team back after it didn't work. I mean, just look at how good the Broncos were with Osweiler.....the Texans sure as hell couldn't do that, so they weren't/aren't the caliber of team the Broncos were when they won.

8. donkeypunch

Because putting a number one rated defense out there wasnt enough? I dont know what else we could have done beside given him a little bit of a better Oline but even then, twinkle toes would have still found a way to get sacked or thrown the ball into an opposing players hands.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Clearly it wasn't. He was significantly better with the Broncos than with the Texans. Perhaps it's that the Broncos had a better organization, better coaching, better talent, I don't know what it was, but it's clear that the Broncos were better than the Texans given that they were able to overcome absolutely terrible QB play and win the SB and there was no way the Texans could do that. If they had a QB playing as poorly as Peyton Manning was his final year they wouldn't be even .500.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In fact, in the history of the Texans organization, only 3 times did they have a QB performance as bad or nearly as bad as Peyton Manning was the year the Broncos won the SB.

The very first 2 seasons when David Carr was terrible and the Texans were 4-12 and 5-11 then the bad Schaub season when the Texans were 2-14

So yeah, it's pretty clear to say that the Broncos did a ton more with garbage than the Texans ever could.

11. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

And remind me again how Peyton looked his first year in Denver? Oh yeah, he posted one of the best individual seasons in the history of he league and lead the Broncos to the a Super Bowl. You're right. That would have been a disaster for the Texans

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, then he choked in the playoffs by turning the ball over 3 times.....

Oh you're thinking of his second season in Denver when the team got to the Super Bowl and they were blown out by 35 points. Yeah I'm sure our fans would have loved that.....and would have ignored the 3 times in that game Manning turned the ball over

How about the next season when they got shut down by the Colts? I'm sure that would have made everyone happy.

And that's it, the 3 seasons where Peyton Manning still had something left in the regular season.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I have a hard time taking anybody seriously who's finding a QB putting up MVP numbers and leading his team to a SB as a disappointment... and yet they still will defend the performance of Brock Osweiler as somebody who may improve.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's okay, I don't take you seriously....I'll just straight up say it instead of 30 roundabout nonsense posts.

15. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Bobby is right, I would much rather see horrible qb play and zero chance at reaching the SB than seeing a great season by a qb that gets you to a SB even if he chokes. Give me Romo and a qb in round 1 or 2 and I'll be happy. Best chance this year and a qb for the future. I've still yet to see Bobby point out a good qb option. To win you need at least a decent qb.

16. HstnSprtsFan101

All he wants to talk about is a 1st round right tackle

17. donkeypunch

Uhhh..... Have you not see him defend the greatest signing of last year? He will lead us to land of dreams where we will drink mead and be merry.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because there's not really a good one. I'm sticking with reality. We can day dream all we want about unrealistic nonsense or we can prop up the next Patriots backup QB that they are looking to unload on a sucker, but that's not really productive. What is productive is talking about options that actually can help the team such as fixing the O line and ensuring the defense stays dominant. The Texans need to put themselves in a position where they can win even without falling into an elite QB by some miracle.....which isn't impossible. The Broncos won the SB with absolute garbage QB play and they did so due to stepping up the other parts of their game.

If the Texans happen to miracle their ass into an elite QB, great, but making that the plan is flat out stupid.....it's basically a good way to become the Cleveland Browns.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In the process of being so scared to be the next Cleveland Browns, some have not realized that with 5 failed different QB's in 5 years, the Texans are every bit right there.

The sad thing is, with this defense, they're wasting a golden opportunity.

But by all means, doing nothing is certainly the smarter move...

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The reason the Browns are so terrible is that they've been so focused on QB that they haven't built a good team, just like you said, the QB are every bit right there with getting new QB's all the time......but the difference is that the Browns are a joke of a team because they put the QB hunt first and foremost while the Texans developed their team instead.

The Browns would have absolutely drafted Bortles or Manziel (like they did) with the first pick in the draft, the Texans instead picked Clowney because that was the smart move. Some here think that the Texans should just draft a QB in the first round every year till they miracle their way into someone good....well that's the Browns way.

So when you say "doing nothing", you simply misunderstand that building a contender of a team isn't "doing nothing" even if you don't do things the Browns way by picking QB's all the time.

I get it though, there are many people who share your views.