1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

What fanbase IS satisfied with their team?

The Spurs fanbase isn't even "satisfied" with their success.

Stop arguing division titles compare to championships.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure it's true that EVERY franchise has their whiners.....and that's my point. There's no reason to pay attention to them because they'd literally never be satisfied. They aren't worth the energy.

3. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Exactly.... ignore the fans and pay attention to the zero championships, zero SB appearances, zero CC appearances.

I'm not saying the Texans suck, but the division has SUCKED since they started winning it, and the Texans never go deep in the postseason. Could those facts change next year? Maybe. But for now, it is what it is... a team mediocre team who wins a crap division. There's no denying any of that.

It's also hilarious how you deem 2 rings as "luck". Hopefully the Texans can get "lucky" soon.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, ignore the whiners who don't think winning the division damn near every year is an accomplishment. They aren't important in any way and they'll whine no matter what happens. They'll consider anything "mediocre" as if they have no clue what that word means.

5. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Better yet, ignore championships

6. raining threes

Total BS

Just because fans disagree with the way the McNair's run their org doesn't make them whiners.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I never said that's what made them whiners. Them being whiners is what makes them whiners. The inability to appreciate or recognize accomplishments is what makes them whiners. It has nothing to do with disagreeing with ownership or whatever. I'm talking about this kind of nonsense.

[​IMG]

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Dallas beat writer

Fulgore and Fullcourt like this.
  9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

It's happening?

10. today

today Contributing Member

Based upon the 2-3 year comment, I'm assuming that he'll be asking for a 3 year contract. We'll likely offer a back-loaded deal for when Brock comes off the books in 2018. I'm just not sure what kind of a discount Romo will take to play with us...

I would guess the contract may look something like this: $6m in 2017 (guaranteed), $15m in 2018 (guaranteed), $15m in 2019

Does that seem reasonable?

Edit: After listening to Werder on ESPN, I may be over-valuing Romo... Would be great to get him cheaper!

#510 today, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's way way way too much guaranteed money for an injury prone old QB. The guarantees would have to be little to none and he'd have to earn pretty much everything via incentives.

12. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Signing Romo and drafting a QB is the best option available, bar none.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Yup we already know they will draft someone per Rick; depends what they do on Romo. Needs to take a huge paycut to play here

14. today

today Contributing Member

I agree that guaranteed money is not a good idea with Romo, but I'm curious as to what he will command on the open market.

Romo is going to want guaranteed money, and we can't give it to him the 1st year. Maybe we partially guarantee the 2nd year?

I'd love to see an incentive based contract, but I'm not sure that will work if Romo has 2 or 3 teams after him.

15. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

For the love of God Texans....don't screw this up. Passing on Romo would be history revisited. Yes, he comes with an injury risk, but you take the chance because the flip side is he stays healthy opening the door to possibilities that Houston pro football has never seen. Do it McNair. Do it Rick Smith. Do it Bob. If it doesn't work out, so be it http://hou.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Tony-Romo-focused-on-Houston-Texans-51326621

16. HstnSprtsFan101

Starting to get a pretty good feeling Romo is coming to Houston. He's the Vegas favorite at +180. Obviously a lot needs to do be done for that to happen, firstly Dallas releasing him. It makes perfect sense for us & Romo for him to come to Houston. Color me intrigued.

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

I won't lie, Romo would make next season interesting. But, we would also need major major upgrade to offensive line.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The obvious standard here is Manning's deal in 2012, when teams didn't even know if he could literally throw a football. The Broncos gave him $18MM up front with injury provisions that guaranteed him $40MM for years 2 and 3 if he passed a physical after that first season.

Any notion that Romo is going to sign a team-friendly deal because he's been injured is delusional. He will get paid. He might make certain concessions (like, if the Texans are a favorite, I'm sure he'll defer money to years 2 and 3 to accommodate Brock's deal) - but he's not going to sign some veteran-minimum, injury-protected contract. They can limit the long-term damage (Denver's deal with Manning was structured like a series one-year deals - as long as he passed physicals, he got paid) but he's not paying for peanuts.

He's broken the same collarbone three times; that would be the concern. The good news; he hasn't broken it since September 2015. The bad news... you know, he broke his back in the interim. Assuming he's healed.... he's only played five games the past two years - that's also potentially good news, from a tread perspective. But, again - that's contingent on him being fully healed and not susceptible to reoccurring injuries. Big if.

Also, if he's released, the Texans will have an opportunity to bring him in and put him through the motions, which is a better situation than trading for him sight-unseen.

Yaosthirdleg and Nimo like this.
  19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Texans dumpster diving in Dallas.
    So this is the best they could go after? An old used up QB. Typical.

20. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Romo isn't a completely horrible idea if we he's released and we sign him. No trades.

Still draft a QB and linemen.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.