1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Maybe go hard after Kirk Cousins?

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. gatsby

gatsby Member

Patriots reportedly open to trading Jimmy Garoppolo for a first-round pick

Per CBS Sports

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Certainly debatable which further proves my point about the draft. Even though I think most would've have rather had Teddie vs Brock going into last season (injury aside) and Bridgewater's "year and a half" was statistically better than Brock's.

5. gucci888

If they'd take #25 for him, then yes I agree it is that simple. None of the Top 3 QBs are falling to us and if it's between a 1st for Jimmy G. versus a 2nd for Mahomes or Kaaya, I'd do the former. Unfortunately, this is not a particularly talented or deep draft for our 2 biggest needs IMO (QB and OL).

mick fry and Joshfast like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Browns with multiple higher first round picks. They could easily beat the Texans offer if they decide to go this route.

Steelers also possibly in the market for a QB?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure Teddy was statistically better than Brock.....but his career might legitimately already be over. I don't think it's really debatable that only getting a year and a half of sometimes decent sometimes not decent game managing from a first round picked QB equals a bust. Now if he beats the odds and returns to football and plays significantly better than he ever has before and does it for several years, then we can include him as someone the Texans missed out on....but IMO not before that. The reality of the situation is that the Texans haven't really missed out on any QB's worth a damn that they could have had other than Carr (who I was calling for them to pick literally a year before the draft) so there's not much to complain about. They did the best they could with what they had to work with for the most part. Drafting a bust QB in the first round (pretty much all that was available thus far) wouldn't have made the team any better and almost certainly would make them a lot worse.

8. gucci888

Ya the Browns with the 1st and 12th pick could make some headlines with adding Garrett and Garrapolo on the first day of the draft.

9. gucci888

Dang not sure what that makes Brock then...

Not gonna argue who is the bigger bust and unfortunately you are right that we may never know since his career is certainly in jeopardy. But going into last season knowing what we knew then, would you have rather had Brock at $12M or Teddy going into his 3rd season?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Knowing what we know now is different from what we thought we knew then though. In a lot of instances if we go off of what we thought we knew then we'd end up making the wrong decision. Knowing what we know now, I'd pick the guy that can walk right now who at worst will be a decent backup next season before being cut after that. We'd still be stuck with a bust, but a bust with some small chance of turning things around as opposed to a bust that might not ever be able to play again.....and in both situations you'd be looking for a new QB.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As long as Brock's salary doesn't have you cutting guys that weren't going to be cut anyways (and as of now, we can't find any examples of that)... the actual dollar figure isn't going to be as important as the years.

And right now, you can't get away with giving up on a high round draft pick after just 2 years... but you can do that to established players who aren't fitting in.

Frankly, 1-2 year contracts are ideal for QB's... unfortunately, you're not going to make much headway with the players union by offering out the bare minimum guaranteed years (hence why all QB's are so resistant to the franchise tag).

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

If we trade for Jimmy G, his nickname will be Jimmy Guapo-lo

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I want to draft a QB in the first 3 rounds, but I also want to get Jimmy.. He is younger and less injury prone than Romo, cheaper, and gives us a better chance in our already tight window. Even if we had first overall pick and could get any of these QBs, none would be ready to take us to the ship THIS year.

16. dram1

dram1 Member

I find it comforting to know Brock will be there earning 20 mill to "ya know...just be a good teammate...help this team win any way I can...let him know what I see as far as coverages. Ya know...just overall support any way I can so we can find a way to win a football game." Then the Mexican in me has an outburst...."ve te a la verga puto...pinche mamon!"

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Damn. I wanted the Texans to draft JG and I'd like to make a run at him now. Doubtful that this happens, but never say never.

18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Is Jimmy G that good?

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

houstonstime likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Houston Chronicle calls Jimmy Garoppolo a potential trade target for the Texans.

The Chronicle's Aaron Wilson -- who is typically responsible with his wording -- suggests Garoppolo could interest the Texans, but may cost "a first-round draft pick and change." While the Texans still owe Brock Osweiler $16 million guaranteed for 2017, they are projected to have $25.5 million in salary cap space and could make a Garoppolo or Tony Romo acquisition work if they tried, even if initial costs would be exorbitant. Garoppolo's trade suitors will want to lock him up long term. He'll be in a contract year in 2017.
    http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...hp?t=9e626e143c438d9cbb&cmpid=twitter-premium
    ****ing gross!