1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to stop the flopping

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

Problem is that the technical fouls would have to be called by the guys who are now being fooled by the flops. I'm fine with technical fouls for obvious flops in game.

I'd also be OK with giving opposing coaches the ability to call for reviews of particular flops. Those reviews could be done during TV time outs or between quarters, so as not to stop play, and reward a technical foul if the review merits it. Number of reviews would probably have to be limited.

I'd also be fine with the league review flops that were otherwise missed. I think the team who was the victim of a flop should get the benefit of the penalty. Thus, I would favor something like a suspension for a quarter, but the opposing team gets to say when the suspension will be taken. So, for example, if Wade flops against Chicago, the Bulls can decide to wait until the next time the Heat plays the Bulls to make Wade sit for the quarter of their choice. The choice would have to be exercised before the game started. As a suspension for a quarter, it would also be a fine of 1/328th of the player's salary.

2. Summer Song Giver

Bring back the hand check.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Better send a telegram to your boy Rubio:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GDsb8cNaZWU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YJ3GxWrKHjg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

Harden's ppg would drop by like 40%

Rockets fans can't be supportive of such a rule.

5. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

Unfortunately that's easier said than done. They are calling the game on real time. At the moment that reaction looked real to them. Now if a referee is behind a play and all he sees is reaction and says to himself "flop, I won't call it" however that foul came to be serious, now you would want that blind ref to never arbitrate again because he misses call. Refs need more help. Players need more punishment on court-off court. Nba needs a solution

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Unless it starts impacting the outcome of games (has a flop been the deciding factor in any game ever?) there's no real reason to take the rule any further, this isn't soccer where games, league titles, even world cups have been won on dives.

7. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

I think each flop should equate to a technical foul. Two flops in a game, disq. If they cannot for some reason be assessed during the game and you accumulated two, disqualified the following game. These should be called remotely by booth review and s the OP started, if they have to reverse the points awarded and give (tech) free throws, so be it. It should also be accumulated like techs and if you have more than x per season, automatic one game disqualification and increased fines. I so want this stuff out of the game

8. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

Flopping gives an advantage. If it didn't, players wouldn't do it. In this last game, Wade's flop was the only one the league called. He got two points off the flop, and two points decided the game. So, was the flop decisive? Probably not, and it wasn't the only flop in the game, not by a long shot, and both sides were guilty of it. (The repeated replay of the out of bounds where LeBron swatted the ball out of Parker's hand shows a serious, but failed, attempt of Parker trying to sell a foul where there was none.) But I think it's ridiculous to say that flopping has not been a factor in the outcome of games, even if I can't point to a game that was decided in the final moment on a flop.

9. jonkey86

jonkey86 Member

NBA needs to start fining players 20K with a 10K increase for every other flop, and they get an automatic suspension without pay. A 5K fine is a slap on the hand to these guys who make tons of money a game.

10. basketballholic

In game penalties guys. In game penalties. They won't be able to implement large fines without the players association protesting. It's got to be in-game penalties to stop it. If it effects winning and losing everyone from the owners on to the coaches gets involved in making sure the players don't flop.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

The flop is an art and should be maintained.

I flop during pick up games. It wins me the ball and everyone is always so apologetic.

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

When you start with a conclusion and seek to structure your premises around that, you're going to convince yourself of any number of wrong things. Soccer (and to a lesser, but somewhat similar extent ice hockey) had a very unique issue due to the low scoring nature of their games (and no the nba is never going to take the "i don't like this guy so every time he tries to sell a foul, it's a flop" approach).

Allowing teams to use a timeout to challenge a call (like the NFL) would remove most games determined by bad ref calls, but the nba isn't considering that, no, instead they want us to believe that the poor refs are the victims to the big bad floppers, what a crock of ****.

#52 Aleron, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Using your body to create contact in the paint, rip-through's, etc. are not in the flopping category.

Harden's flops on defense or the rare flops he has on weird situations are very minimal. Even though he does flop on defense sometimes, that's not where he makes a living anyways.

As long as the officials still make calls in favor the offensive player who initiates the contact, hand checking is not allowed, and (most importantly) you are still not allowed to swipe someones hand/arm when they are putting up a shot.... Harden will still be a top 5 player in the league at getting to the free throw line.

If you think otherwise, than I have to say that you really don't watch much Rockets basketball. 95% of his free throw attempts are NOT what the NBA considers flopping.

14. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

Dude, his head is on a freakin hinge. I'm surprised it doesn't fall off considering how much he snaps it back

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think they should review them at half time
    assess fouls coming out the locker room

Rocket River

16. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Will NY become the next flopping team of NBA, now that Derek Fisher became the HC?

[​IMG]

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He's not getting calls when driving to the rim because of his head snapping back. His body is making contact with the other players body or they are making contact with his arms/wrist/hands when driving to the lane.

If you have a problem with the head snap that's fine, but they aren't calling a Head Snap foul, they are calling a foul due to the body contact.

The Harden criticism on the GARM from the anti-fans nowadays is getting beyond ridiculous & borderline embarrassing.

18. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

if the integrity of the games is as important as the NBA claims it is, then the fines should be the player's game check. They worked for free that night. That will be a dent in the flopping craze if the player gets hit in the pocket for real. I hate flopping and it's out of control...if the player continues to flop, then add suspensions along with multiple game checks. This is if the integrity of the game is valued like the NBA says it is.

One another note.....why is the "Charge" in the game? What point is that....what kind of basketball play is that? You can't hold someone so you jump in front of them and stop?? How about playing defense and trying to block a shot?

19. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Because the defender is rightful to his own space as well. If a defender establishes himself in the open space before the offensive player, then it stops an offensive player from barreling wherever he want. Both offense and defense should be in a controlled manner at all times.

20. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

There are different kinds of flops. Sometimes there is a significant amount of contact, and the flopper is just exaggerating the impact. And then you have the flopping that is just plain cheating. When there is absolutely no contact whatsoever, and the flopper is doing nothing more than acting, I would support a one game suspension. I think Wade should be suspended.