1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to remake the team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, May 7, 2012.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It's time to remake the team

After 3 straight years of missing the play-offs as the best team in the lottery, doesn't even Les and Daryl Morey have to acknowledge that this team does not have what it takes to make a serious run at the post season? Remaking your team does not have to mean the team is not trying to be competitive or make the play-offs and it does not mean they will not be fun to watch.

I think a lot of fans are becoming apethitic towards the Rockets because they realize that the team continues to look like the best non play-off that also happens to be void of the neccessary talent to advance to the next level. But I think people will show up if they think the team has real developing talent that has a chance to improve and turn into a contender.

I know a lot of us love to watch young teams develope. This year we have an opportunity to really do a major face lift on the team. We have early 1st round draft picks in a deep draft and over seas assets that look like they are clearly ready to come over and could be special. On top of that we the players that I think need to go could offer real value to other teams and bring back real value for the Rockets.

Players that need to be traded:

Luis Scola - He is 32 years old and is due 9.4 million in 2012. Including this 2012 he only has two more guaranteed years on his contract. He is still a quality power forward and he could be a major rotation piece for a contending team. He still gives good value for his contract. The Rockets are not a contending team though. As of right now Luis Scola looks more like a progress stopper for Patrick Patterson (if the Rockets keep him) and Motiejunas (next season). If the Rockets want to find out if Patterson or Motiejunas can be their Power Forwards of the future then Sola has to go.

Kevin Martin - He will turn 30 during next season and he is due 12.5 million in 2012 as an expiring contract. He is a good scorer but he is a liability on defense and he is hurt way too much. There are reports that he is disgruntled due to the attempted trade last summer for Pau Gasol. Kevin Martin is both a really good offensive weapon and carries an expiring contract.

Chase Budinger - He is just 23 years old and only makes .8 million in an unguaranteed year. He is a good rotational player but he is what he is after 3 years. I like Bud and normally I would say keep him but Chandler Parsons has clearly cemented himself as the starting Small Forward. And if the Rockets want to find out what they have in Marcus Morris they are going to have to give him a chance in the rotation. I think it's just time to move on from Bud.

Kyle Lowry - He is just 26 years old and is due 5.7 million in 2012 and has an ungaurunteed year in 2013. I'm a big fan of Lowry but I like Dragic more. Goran has made it clear that he wants to start and I think we know Kyle will not go quitely back to the bench. Plus, IMO Kyle is by far our most valuable trade asset. I just think trading Kyle and resigning creates the most value for the Rockets and gives the team a better shot at getting to the next level instead of just letting Dragic walk for nothing.

Samuel Dalembert - He is 31 years old and has a 7 million partially guaranteed contract for 2012. I like Dalembert but with the addition of Marcus Camby who we are likely to resign and with Motiejunas coming over from Europe to go along with whoever we draft, there just will not be minutes to go around with out stunting someones development.

Players that need to be resigned

Goran Dragic - He is 26 and just entering his prime years. He has prototypical size for a point guard. As a starter of almost half the games this season Goran averaged 18 points, 8.5 assists, 1.8 steals, 49% f/g and 38% 3pt shooting. Those are stout numbers. He is a terrific offensive player and a solid, high energy defensive player.

Courtney Lee - He is 26 and is solid on the offensive end and very good on the defensive end. I like Lee as a starter but would prefer him as 6th man off of the bench. I would love it if the Rockets could somehow move up in the draft for Bradley Beal or if they could land Eric Gordon in free agency as the new starter.

Marcus Camby - He is 38 and can still rebound and block shots. I could see him as an outstanding back up at the center spot for a few more years. He lives in Houston and wants to be here.

Free Agents the Rockets should go after

First of all I do not think the team should make any sideways moves. I think the team should only try and sign players who can either significantly improve the team or has a chance to grow into an all star caliber player. There is really only one position in this years free agent pool that I am looking to address and that is shooting guard.

If there were a true difference maker as a center that is young enough to grow with the youth of the Rockets I would absolutely go after him but I don't see that person in the free agent market. We need to find out what we have in Parsons and Morris so I am not really looking for a Small Forward. I don't want a power forward because we need to find out what we have in Patterson, Motiejunas and the fact that one of our draft picks is likely to be a power forward type.

I don't see Roy Hibbert as a possibility and I'm not as high on Omar Asik as some. I would not chase after Deron Williams because I don't think he would come here and while we were chasing him we would certainly lose out on Goran Dragic.

Eric Gordon - He is just 23 years old and is a legitimate 20 point per game shooting guard. Of course he is a restricted free agent so the chance of signing him is slim at best.

Rockets should bring over their international talent

Donatas Motiejunas - He is just 21 and a true skilled 7 footer that proved he can rebound. We all know about him and Morey has said he is definitely coming over.

Sergio Llull - A 24 year old 6'3" point guard that looks like he is ready to come over. There have been reports that after seeing Ricky Rubios success in the NBA that he wants to give it a shot if he can be a rotational player. If the Rockets trade Lowry that spot would be open for him. I know his contract is prohibitive at this point but I still think the Rockets should try and get him over here now.

The Draft

The Rockets currently have the 14th and 16th draft picks. They have a lot of tradable assets to try and pair up with one or both picks to try and move up in the draft. Currently they need to add a Center and a Shooting Guard, IMO. Of course we should be able to get a possible upgrade at just about any position if we want. I happen to like what we have at Small Forward with Parsons and I would like to see what Morris can do. At Point guard I am wanting to make Dragic our full time starter moving forward and at Power Forward I want to give Motiejunas and Patterson a chance to man that position. I'm wanting to keep Lee as the back up shooting guard if at all possible but even if he stay's the starter I we will need another quality shooting guard to take Kevin Martins place if we cant land one in free agency. So Center 1st and shooting guard 2nd IMO. There should be some potentially good players there at both positions this year.

Big Men

Anthony Davis Who doesn't want this guy? Unless a miracle happens on draft lottery night it is not going to happen.
    Andre Drummond - I would draft him if available but it should be noted that he could be a serious bust. He can could also turn into a stud. Regardless, we will not get a shot at him IMO.
    Thomas Robinson - Another player that we will have no shot at.
    Jared Sullinger - He is a true center but at 6'9" I think most people don't want him because he is a bit undersized. But he also weighs in at 280lbs which means he is going to be a load in the post. I've seen him play and he likes to creat body contact when he shoots the ball in the post. He is strong and people can not slap the ball out of his hands. He plays solid defense but does not block very many shots due to the fact that he does not play above the rim. He is a very good rebounder. He reminds me a little bit of Chuckwagon but with more height. He has a good offensive game. He is a guy that I think the Rockets might have a shot at either by trading up or possibly if he slides a bit. I think NBAdraft shows us drafting him at 14. He is not my first Choice but I would gladly take him.
    John Henson - Unlike Sullinger he is a little lite in the pants. He makes up with it by using has height and leaping ability to block a lot of shots and grabbing a lot of rebounds. He does not have a great offensive game yet but he does run the floor well and and will make a lot of highlight real put backs. I think he could be another Marcus Camby. He is another guy I would be thrilled if the Rockets could somehow land him and I do think he is a possibility.
    Tyler Zeller - Arnet Moultrie - Meyers Leonard I'm not crazy about any of these guys but I would prefer Moultrie to either Zeller or Leonard. Leonard is my least favorite of all.

Swingmen

Micheal Kidd-Gilchrist - I would love to have him but we have no shot at him IMO.
    Bradley Beal - We would have to trade up to land him but I think we might have a shot.
    Jeremy Lamb - Like Beal I think we might have a shot at trading up to get him.
    Terrence Ross - I think this guy could be a stud and should be there at 14 or 16.

I could see Houston packaging Kyle Lowry along with their 14th pick in order to trade up to 11 with Portland since they have 2 lottery picks and need a point guard. Or maybe doing something like sending Dalembert to Dallas in exchange Cuban would allow the Rockets to use the 1st round pick he owes them this year.

In the end, if the Rockets could add:
    - Montiejunas
    - Llull
    - Sullinger, Henson or Moultrie
    - Beal, Lamb or Ross

While getting rid off:
    - Lowry
    - Scola
    - Budinger
    - Martin
    - Dalembert

We would have a youthful team that would be fun to watch develop and a team that might have enough talent to actually challenge for a play-off spot in the near future.

One Possible Rotation:
    PG Dragic - Llull
    SG Lee - Lamb
    SF Parsons - Morris
    PF Motiejunas - Patterson
    C Camby - Sullinger

5 people like this.
  2. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

What is the obsession with Eric Gordon?

History has shown that he is pretty injury prone...

Last 4 seasons' games played: 65, 60, 56, 9.

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Go for HARDEN....

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BXLR-eY9QM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BXLR-eY9QM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

5. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I completely agree, and nice work on the detailed post. Hopefully Scola and Martin have some trade value on draft day, but if not, at least Kevin's contract will be a nice expiring at the deadline next year.

6. houseofglass21

Uh no...the only "progress stopper" (nice wording brah) for Patterson is Patterson himself. He had plenty of playing time this year and the results were mediocre at best.

7. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I know Deron Williams is probably headed to Dallas but I hope Morey can look in to what it would take to get him. He is still a damn good point guard.

8. dje243

dje243 Member

That line up is exactly what i've been lobbying for. The only one i disagree with is Llull. He's made it clear he doesn't want to come over to come off the bench.

9. theglyde1121

theglyde1121 Member

I think the Rockets are unsure if Sergio will be coming over next year or not. I thought he was still locked up in his contract with the team he is playing with in Europe. Is Nick Young locked up with the Clippers? I thought Gordon was a restricted free agent.

10. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I would LOVE if Nick Young became a Rocket.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If we package Lowry with the 14th pick just to move up to 11, we'd get raped. Lowry alone should get the #11.

I like Sullinger; I also see him as a taller Chuck Wagon. But McHale describes the team needs as better decision-making on the perimeter and athletic bigs (bye-bye, Scola?). Of course now the problem is, How do we make it happen? (PLEASE, no Tyler Zeller or Meyers Leonard. Let's not kid ourselves.)

Part of me is hoping the Rockets can make enough cap room for Llull, and I mean now. That means trade Lowry, but for good value; the guy was in the running for the All Star game (well, he was discussed as being worthy). You'd have to "overpay" Llull to offset his buyout. (Even then, he'll probably wait a year.)

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Patterson played hurt the majority of the season.

13. theglyde1121

theglyde1121 Member

I think they have cap room at get/bring Sergio over if they trade Scola/Martin's contracts but they also need to get him out of his contract with his Euro club.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

So are Goran Dragic and Kyle Lowry. (read sig)

15. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

16. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Yes, we've seen the sig. You compare 1 month of Dragic to an entire season of Deron Williams with scrubs. congrats.

17. Big Time Titan

Good ideas overall but I don't like the idea of trading Kyle away just to move up in the draft. If we do trade him I want it to be for an all star type player like Gasol. Not necessarily Gasol but someone of that caliber. As you mentioned he is our most valuable trade piece aside from Luis.

Martin is gonna be the hardest to move.

18. Mariachi ROCKET

One Possible Rotation:
    PG Dragic - Llull
    SG Lee - Lamb
    SF Parsons - Morris
    PF Motiejunas - Patterson
    C Camby - Sullinger

And with the 14th pick AGAIN in the 2013 draft, the Houston Rockets select????

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This i don't get. Trade a 25 year old PG to make space for another 25 year old PG. Instead of drafting a PG?
    I feel they have waited long enough for Llull and i am not a fan of his because of it. There are 19-21 year olds coming out in the draft this season. A couple of them will be in our drafting range whether we move up or not. Remaking the team should involve only picks from this draft. I too would rather move up to 10 or 11 with just Lowry. That way we could get Lillard. Although, i do feel that he will be off the board when they come around. Just a feeling.

20. Raven

Raven Member

Regardless of player position or draft position, the Rockets must ditch the NBA Ready mantra and select the player with the highest ceiling even if that player has the highest risk of busting out.