1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

It's time to give up the name...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Jones, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Alright, giving up isn't the right term. Rather I mean, the Houston Rockets should be named something new. Come up with a new nickname instead of Clutch City. I'm not saying someone else should have it at all. It's the name reminder of the back-to-back championships and will always be.

2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

WORST THREAD SINCE HISTORY OF TIME

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Get what? As others have said this part of our history even if the teams of late haven't been that clutch. Its like NYC's nickname is "Gotham" which comes from old English meaning "Goat Home" when outside of the Bronx Zoo there probably hasn't been a goat living in NYC in a hundred years. Obviously things change but that doesn't mean we don't forget our history.

Your argument seems to be that we should be ashamed that recent Rockets haven't been Clutchcity. Yes we shouldn't be happy about that but that doesn't mean that we just drop the Clutchcity moniker. Just like even though Green Bay languished for decades between the Bart Starr era and Brett Favre era's they still kept the name "Titletown" it was part of their history and also drove the team to recapture that history.

You knew you were opening a can of worms and now want to shut things down when things get ugly.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nicknames usually only stick when they grow organically. The organization and us fans could try to come up with something new but it won't have the same resonance or meaning than if it came about from something rather than just coming up with a new name for no reason than we think the old one doesn't fit.

5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

You're funny. I ain't givin' up ****.

6. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Well, other people like to call us Crutch City. Guess we could use that? pfft. :eek:

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Seriously, this was a stupid notion. No one asks Detroit to renounce the Bad Boys nickname, LA to stop saying Showtime, etc.

When "nobody gets it"....maybe it's time for you to reconsider.

8. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Should we rename it after Yao? Crutch City?

9. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I like it when people act like there's something surprising or original about saying something negative on the internet.

Surprise! I'm negative on the internet! Bet you never saw that coming!

1 person likes this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the last thing we experienced was "Crutch City"

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Sh!tty story, bro.

12. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Charles Jones is mad cause he didn't get much playing time as a Rocket.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="360" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xdzljz"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdzljz_cheech-and-chong-basketball-jones-w_shortfilms" target="_blank">Cheech and Chong Basketball Jones with better...</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/shrinkingman" target="_blank">shrinkingman</a></i>

14. Lil Lee

Lil Lee Contributing Member

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!! URGHHHHHHHHHH

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

If you say Clutch City so much that you aren't reminded of the glory days anymore, it says something about you as a Rockets fan.

16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

How about you just go away?

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I was willing to give the OP the benefit of the doubt for actually sticking out his interweb neck for even suggesting such a blasphemous thing but then he decided to bargain his way out of it :facepalm:

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Rocket Jones,

We have had a new name, since Yao was drafted. It's unspoken, but it has always been in the background.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CRUTCH CITY