1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to admit it...Beverley is a good player again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Jan 10, 2016.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

After a win this is tough to read for many of you, but it is the truth. Let's throw Jones in this mix too...

2. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Bev is shooting 42.4% 3PT this season he is a very good value 3 and D guy. The Rockets need to make a big trade to clear their logjam at the 4, and keep Howard rested so he can play big minutes at the end of the year.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Harden sets him up real good. Dont know why he bricked so much.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

his confidence in his shooting has been much more evident. Bev has quietly improved as a shooter with the Rockets..

6. RESINator

RESINator Member

He has improved since the season started. Let's just see if he can play the full season and playoffs.

7. basketballholic

1. We have one of the worst defenses in the league. We give up more points per game than the 76ers and only the Lakers, Pelies, Suns, and Kings give up more.

2. Bev can no longer get over screens well enough to stay in contact with the ball handler and he's getting blown by constantly in iso/one-on-one situations. And he's getting paid to be one of our top defenders at a defensive position that is crucial to our success.

3. He's simply not a difference maker for us since he is no longer Mr. 94 feet in actuality. Because if his primary skill-set is shooting the 3-ball now, we can find a better shooter for half the money we're paying him to be a defender and shooter.

1+2=3

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He was never a bad player.

Can't believe we kept him for so cheap

9. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agreed, he would just get burned to easily a majority of last season. Lots of PG's destroyed us last season. Considering our defense is terrible this year, Bev is the one playing with max effort and aggressiveness.

I just don't understand our team defense right now. Can anyone explain it? We chase all over the court. Harden, Terry, or Lawson will be camped right on the edge of the lane looking to play "help" defense in case someone gets in the paint. Once someone gets in the paint though our whole defense collapses and we give up a wide open 3. This was NOT the case last year (except against GS). I would rather have Harden, Terry, Lawson, etc. out on their man in the wing refusing to let them catch a pass let alone shoot an open 3.

Make Capella and Dwight man the paint and help each other. If they can't handle it we are still better off giving up contested 2's in the paint than wide open 3's from guys shooting 40+% on the season. I just don't understand the massive regression on defensive philosophy from last year when it comes to defending the paint and the 3 point line. Can anyone smarter than me make a comparison between this years D and last year? Just amazing to me that they have regressed so much. Does anyone else see it?

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol we can definitely tell you follow this team pretty closely

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Beverley serving Bosh a facial.

[​IMG]

12. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I think Bev is a great 3 & D guy who you can count on to bring energy and hustle every night - and for that reason I really like him on the Rockets, however, he should NEVER be the guy to run the offense as his court vision/passing/decision-making is still pretty awful the majority of the time.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

That will forever be one of my top 3 Bev Moments. The ball bouncing off Bosh's head post-yam is perfection.

14. Play07

Play07 Member

He forsure meets my expectations + more, for his declining contract with salary rising.

15-16- $6,500,000
    16-17- $6,000,000
    17-18- $5,500,000
    18-19- $5,000,000

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Didn't his defensive numbers drop like a rock earlier? Have them improved recently?

16. lovermanbuda

lovermanbuda Member

Bev has been good pretty much all year long but my only concern is his decision making especially as a PG but the team's overall decision making has been sub par.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look - Bev would be best as a scrappy backup 3 and D player off the bench - a change of pace guy, but for now, he should start.

DD

18. rocketseagles07

Are you serious? People just blow by bev now, and I think it's a health issue. The assumption the Pat Beverley is a good defender still is a prime example of how once you get a reputation it stays with you. For the last two years bev has not been a good defender, last year he regressed, this year I've seen people blowing by him.

I do agree is a somewhat good fit next to Harden, he's worked his a** off to get a consistent 3. I'd still like someone who can create a little more even if it's not totally necessary. Conley would be PERFECT next to beard....

19. rocketseagles07

Besides number 3 you're spot on. I don't mind paying him the money he makes, I just don't like the idea that he's still a good defender. He's not. There was one play against the spurs where he was in perfect position at the ft line, khawi was in a bad position and was still able to turn around and BLOW by him.

Wasn't there talk that the Rockets were really concerned about his knee from cyber(I don't remember), I really think it's a health issue

20. basketballholic

Bev does get blown by constantly and I'm convinced is an injury issue that is going to continue to debilitate him. Bev is bow - legged to begin with. But now post-injury it hurts just to watch him run. You can tell he's got knee pain by his gait. And I'm positive it is preventing him from staying with guys now.

Bev is a great guy and deserving of his contact because of his past performance. But he is not the player he was two years ago. And I doubt he ever is again. We need to acquire a point guard that can defend and make plays with a lot more effectiveness that Bev can. And we really should trade Bev while he still has value and let someone else pay him.

What Morey said about Parsons should apply to Bev. Er find the Pat Beverleys of the NBA. We let some other team pay them big money.

While Bev's contact us not huge, it does occupy a chunk of salary cap space that we could better utilize in free agency or trades this summer.