1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time for Gregg popovich to step down the game has passed him by

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Nov 17, 2019.

1. likestohypeguy

Are women's groups not skewering him? Cancel pop?

What did becky say after the game about it, I'm sure the media was all over it.

slothy420 likes this.
  2. Newlin

Newlin Member

He's two years older than D'Antoni. Can you go from being a genius to over the hill that quickly?

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The truth is the Spurs just haven't been that good for 2-3 years now.

This likely the worst Spurs team in 20~ years.

The game hasn't passed him by, but the talent sure has, and no amount of coaching can replace that.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

They should trade Derozan for Aaron Gordon. That should be their first move. Get a guy that can run with their young guards in White and Murray who also is a career 32% 3pt shooter. Pop can turn Gordon into Blake Griffin lite.

da_juice likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

If the owner is absolutely set on getting rid of D'Antoni, I would be absolutely thrilled if Popovich came to coach for a few seasons with Harden and Westbrook.

The game hasn't passed him by.

6. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

KingCheetah and Ketchup&Mustard like this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Honestly, Spurs should trade away both Derozan and Aldridge, and just start over.

Aldridge is an aging stretch 4 who doesn't shoot the 3 particularly well. Derozan can't shoot the 3 at all, and is a high volume scorer but isn't the #1 option on a championship team, even if it IS coached by Popovich.

In fact, if the game of basketball has passed someone by, it's probably Derozan and Aldridge.

I'm positive Spurs can net a decent haul for both and just rebuild. They already have a solid backcourt core with Murray, White and Forbes. If Walker comes along, that's also a plus.

The only problem is that FAs might be less inclined to come to San Antonio sans Derozan and Aldridge. But it'd be a chance to play under Pop.

da_juice and Ketchup&Mustard like this.
  8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

You cant build your team around two of the softest players in the league in LaMarcus and DeRozan and expect to go anywhere.

They are both mental midgets.

Richie_Rich and da_juice like this.
  9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Lol. I wouldn't trust becky hammon in the first place either. Good on pop. Duncan will take over once pop retires.

10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

dude traded kawhi for derozen, he lost it years ago

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Pop is gonna show the league he is NOT on Pops level

I’ve been certified 100% petty free by a reputable hand reader and I would not wish them worst record.

Maybe 10th worst, plzz.

12. TimDuncanDonaut

I think Pops knows Kawhi > DeMar. The Spurs medical staff messed up with the wrong evaluation. Parker's comments didn't help. The relationship got strained beyond repair. If Pops had hindsight, he would no doubt stood by Kawhi. Pops was load managing his guys years before it being a trend topic now.

Under the circumstances, DeRozan was a good get, versus losing Kawahi for nothing. I feel for DeMar too. I remember listening to an interview of him, this was right before the trade. He talked about his training regimen, busted his butt to be the #1 guy there. Loved Toronto and playing with K-Lo, wanted to retire there. Despite few stars consider it for free agency.

On pops retiring, I feel like he's going to be like Jerry Sloan. Unless a nasty falling out between Pops and the San Antonio organization, it's his job so long as he want it and he retires as a Spurs coach.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

LOL. Pop was supposed to win with a team that PJ Tucker was arguably the best player on? And he didn't even play? LOL

Pop is fine.

da_juice likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Kawhi Leonard was leaving no matter what.

da_juice likes this.
  15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I believe it was Spurs at Miami TNT Game and the Spurs were on the road. Gregg Popovich sent home
    Tim Duncan,Tony Parker, Emanuel Ginobili. TNT were so angry. I think they got fined for it, then Around the Horn and PTI made a controversy out of it.

Also LeBron James missed a Grizzlies game one time. Fans were so upset this one time playing in Memphis and LeBron sits out. Fans paid a lot to buy those tickets to see LeBron play.

Makes me appreciate James Harden. Even injured he plays on the road. 3 years ago he fell on the floor at Denver, played the next night at Utah, James played great and won both of those games.

da_juice likes this.
  16. what

what Member

If you wouldn't trust her then fine, but moving her up to the lead assistance only to snatch it from her when it matters is egregious. Pop shouldn't have hired her in the first place.

17. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Yeah, there's also the whole thing that the best PF to ever play the game wasn't on the coaching staff when that decision was made, but you know. Irrelevant.

da_juice likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think it is

[​IMG]

19. what

what Member

Tim duncan is a center and regardless of position he was better than hakeem.
    But that doesn't make him a great coach: see Isaiah Thomas, magic Johnson.
    And neither of those guys would even be close to guys like Chuck Daly or Larry Brown who weren't even players or marginal players at best.
    Again pop was way wrong for this. No way to sugar coat it.
    And this isn't even considering the fact that Becky will be a hall of famer in her own right and one of the best pg in her league in league history.

20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I actually think you're wrong, which is the norm.

Imagine thinking you know what's going on inside an organisation and having the audacity to call out the greatest coach of this era.

Richie_Rich likes this.