1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Time for a New Mascot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Sep 3, 2023.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Turbo was the OG.

Clutch the Bear is stupid and a marketing ploy for a nation that hasn't given a sloppy shadookie about us in a decade.

The hottest take? Our "new" mascot should just be Orbit.

RocketOrg and don grahamleone like this.
  2. a time to chill

Nah, you trippin' Clutch the Bear is adorably awesome. He's a 3x mascot of the year award winner.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm just confused how a Houston sports team named the Rockets decided that a bear should be their mascot.

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I 100% agree. But other than Turbo, what makes sense? An anthropomorphized rocket? A beer-gutter bear is just silly, though rather appropriate for the city of Houston. :D

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Please know your houston history. Gray bears were native here until they were hunted into extinction for their fur.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Clutch is fun. I actually prefer him to Orbit. I'll allow a mascot change but not until a full logo and jersey revamp.

Rockets Rule and htownborn34 like this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Because you're not the one they're trying to sell jerseys to. From what I recall, they wanted a mascot kids would identify with and could be used in promotional material more. This, of course, meant something cartoony with a big head, I guess. I doubt you could get kids to fall in love with and say "Look! It's Saturny the Saturn V Rocket!"

Turbo was awesome, but I think Clutch works for what he was probably intended for, and I really have no problem with him.

I don't really follow baseball, but when I see Orbit, I think "vomit". Orbit to me seems like the Astros' version of the Rockets' former mascot, Booster, except Orbit's design doesn't look quite as drug-induced. But Orbit's kind of cute, too, so it works. Toro, on the other hand, just looks like a genetic experiment gone way wrong.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why just 1 single Mascot.

Is there a law that one team can only possess 1 mascot....
    [​IMG]

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No. The Rockets technically had Turbo and Clutch together for a while at games. And is Mini-Clutch still around? I don't remember, but he's the sample-sized version.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I hate Clutch so much. He makes no sense. If he were a chimp then I'd get it. At least we sent one of those to space. But bears aren't even native to this area. So wtf? I'd like an animal that is native to Houston, like a stray pitbull or chihuahua, or even a nutria or opossum. A grackle would work too.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Clutch is already in the HOF

Go watch some Tapes you made in 92 and chill out

Rockets Rule and 34to11 like this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I'd take the derpy AI anthropomorphized rocket before a damn bear. At least turn him into a tardigrade. An astronaut? Just a guy in a space suit and you can't see the face cuz it's reflective. An alien. Turbo v.2. Some Buzz lightyear knockoff.

A teddy bear. Lazy. Lazy mascot, lazy themework, lazy brand. With the space theme served up on a platter, they can't even embrace it or make it cool.

Williamson and Kevooooo like this.
  13. TimDuncanDonaut

As far as merch goes like stuffy toys; bears (as in like teddy bears) is one of the best selling animal a company can choose.

For acrobatic NBA mascots not in an animal suit. Celtics' Lucky comes mind; somehow I don't think a Lucky action-figure sells that well with NBA kids.

#13 TimDuncanDonaut, Sep 3, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Clutch is the best!

16. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nah Clutch just needs a sweet OXY patch on his shoulder........ Did wonders for the Astros.

17. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

The Astros had a jackrabbit as their mascot. They changed back to something beloved, a refreshed throwback branding, something theme-relevant and started winning championships.

Just saying.

18. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Bring back Booster

Invisible Fan likes this.
  19. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

Or a Mosquito...A fcked up looking Mosquito...

Corpusfan and txtodd like this.
  20. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

Or a Mosquito...A fcked up looking Mosquito...