1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Time! Consolidation of Assets: Roster Spots Needed!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Mar 16, 2022.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Some very good discussions were had in the Twitter Spaces today hosted by @Clutch and @foggy94.

One that I wanted to bring to the forum to discuss was with the draft bearing down on us, a very real discussion needs to be made about some of our favorite or least favorite current players.

It's just time. They HAVE to move off of some of the players on this team. The Rockets are chock full of guaranteed contracts and will be in a position where they have to integrate at least one additional player into the lineup (top 5 pick) and wanting to possibly get the second draft pick minutes. I know some of us have different attachments to different players, but they all can't come back next year. Some of them have to go bye bye and it may not just be the guys we want to leave. It may be a guy that has value because he is a good player and actually has a trade market. Like a Jae'Sean Tate for example rather than a guy like David Nwaba.

How much would you be willing to give up to pair with our Brooklyn pick and how far do you think we could move up in this draft? For example what does a package of the 16th pick along with Tate and Wood get you? At that pick, what player would you be targeting? For example say you can get the 7th pick, would you make that trade and if so who would you take?

Coming out of this draft with 2 top prospects in my opinion would be ideal and would be great for the team long term. I think they should target a second player that they feel can be part of the core and do what it takes to move up in the draft for him. Last year they traded future picks because they targeted Sengun, but I think they need to see who bites on some of our current players.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Players we can/should move, in order:
    Wood,
    Gordon,
    Wood,
    Gordon,
    Wood,
    Gordon,
    Wood,
    Gordon,
    Wall (good luck),
    Schroder, Schroder, Schroder, Schroder,
    [Everyone else not named Sengun and Green]
    Josh Christopher only if we get another top 8-ish

3. vator

And honestly tanking one more year is fine and after we move some of the vets should be expected. Next year’s draft has some heavy hitters at the top.

If you hit on your picks this year and your pick next year, you can start looking at free agency to fill needs with good veterans.

joshuaao, DreamR, Sean Dr34ms and 3 others like this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

I think this gets a lot easier to wrap my mind around after we know which positions we are drafting.

Getting #1 overall is very different than drafting #5 for these kinds of discussions.

Plus, to move up in a trade you have to know where other teams are to make up trade scenarios.

5. vator

Schroder is expiring. They just don't need to bring him back. Honestly they shouldn't have kept him in the first place. I think they were being petty and didn't want him to go to the Lakers because they didn't do the Wall/Westbrook deal. I don't blame them lol.

This is what we're looking at for next year as is. Multiple players need to be moved off this list.

1. Jalen Green
    2. Top 5 Pick
    3. Alperen Sengun
    4. Kevin Porter Jr.
    5. Josh Christopher
    6. Usman Garuba
    7. Christian Wood
    8. Eric Gordon
    9. John Wall
    10. Jae'Sean Tate
    11. Kenyon Martin Jr.
    12. Garrison Mathews
    13. David Nwaba
    14.Daishen Nix
    15. Brooklyn Pick

#5 vator, Mar 16, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ehhh I don’t think they need to yet.

Same as it’s ever been, if they can move Gordon & Wood, go for it. But I don’t feel the need to move anyone else.

*(JI) — Kevin Porter Jr. — Daishen Nix — John Wall
    Jalen Green — Josh Christopher
    Eric Gordon — *(AG) — Garrison Mathews — David Nwaba
    *(JS/CH/PB/KM) — Jae’Sean Tate — K.J. Martin
    Christian Wood — Alperen Şengün — Usman Garuba

*Top 7 draft pick
    15th-20th draft pick

#6 J.R., Mar 16, 2022
  7. vator

I like the way you broke that down. Good work with the potential draft picks at each position. I have to head out for about 30-45 minutes, but I really like this post and I do want respond to it.

8. fattz

fattz Member

Tate
    For
    DayRon Sharpe
    Let’s get something for Tate before his mini contract expires. He will be used as filler in trade at the trade deadline otherwise. Let’s get some size that has found some success already. Sharpe’s contract is rookie scale with years left. No need to draft this year when last year’s was so good that talent got pushed down & win now teams have better than average rookies.

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Trade Wood+Tate+#16 as discussed. I believe this will get you to Portland or Memphis.

Trade KPJ for whatever. OK player but he is hurting the development of the other players.

Keep Schroeder as a pg that helps the growth of the youth.

Milos, jcmoon and vator like this.
  10. DreamR

DreamR Member

Players I don't want to see next year: Wood, Gordon, Schroeder

Players I like but would trade for a good return: Tate, Porter, Christopher, KJ, Nix

Players I have a neutral connection with: Mathews, Garuba, Nwaba

Players that have no chance in hell of being traded (unfortunately): John Wall

Players we must keep: Green & Sengun

jcmoon and vator like this.
  11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am not exactly a prospect expert, but if a guy falls to 7-10 that you really like...maybe a Sharpe, Griffin, Duren, Murray....

I am all about packaging some combo of Wood / Gordon / 2022 Nets pick / Tate / 2023 Bucks pick to move up and nab them.

I feel like there are always teams in that range that don't want prospects, they want to get better immediately.

Milos, sydmill and vator like this.
  12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I think you start with moves involving Wood and Gordon, then you move on to tradeable assets like Tate and KJ. Obviously you will ultimately have to end up with a roster centered around Green, Sengun, and whoever our top prospect in this draft ends up being, but you can't get there overnight. The younger guys on this roster can still raise their value to the team, and either become great trade chips, or guys that are too good to move. It's honestly a pretty good spot to be in as a rebuilding team. We have lots of potential ammunition if/when we're ready to pull the trigger on something bigger.

#12 Fyreball, Mar 16, 2022
    vator likes this.
  13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

As long as we keep gordon, garrison, green and garuba, I am good. Draft Griffin.

The G team.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have to try to move Wood - he's not going to be here long-term anyway so definitely have to move him this summer or his value will decline to an expiring contract pretty quickly. Gordon you want to move but if you can't it's not the end of the world if he finishes his contract out and them signs elsewhere.

Schroeder will be gone especially if you don't move Gordon. Hopefully someone wants Nwaba and takes his $5 million a year - there was some interest last trade deadline. Prayer that the Lakers take Wall off our hands, can't seem them giving up a future 1st vs just buying westbrook out and shipping James and going into rebuild themselves. So let's stay we are stuck with him for the summer.

So depending on what happens with other those 4 guys, will decide a lot. You can move the Nets pick for a future pick to create a roster spot - that's not a bad scenario as it gives you a year to see what your areas of needs are.

But I'd be hesitant to move KP3, KJM, GM, Nix, and any of this years rookies. They are all developing and it seems premature to move them while their value is increasing - they certainly should be more valuable with another year and thus a better trade asset depending on where they are on their contract.

vator likes this.
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

The Cuban once said Morey and The Rockets treat all players as assets

True, but all teams do....including the mavs
    3 to 4 years and then try to flip them for a vet of a position of need.

What are they saying? "We in the Talent Acquisition Business" right now!!
    Just one step up from the G-league.....and three steps behind the rest of
    the NBA.

So yes, don't get too attached to anyone but Green for right now....
    If Green fails to progress in 3 to 4 years; then him too.

Example: Patrick Fertitta loves a team full of guards who can dribble,
    attack the rim, and get layups (but unfortunately get blocked more often than not).
    This sets up Jaden Ivey being drafted and competing with: Green, EGo, Porter jr,
    Mathews, Nix, and Josh Christopher for minutes.

But hey, it's position-less basketball and nowadays you can play
    6'3" guards as PF's and Centers right? Nevermind rebounds, or
    altered shots, blocks or deflections.....we've got 5 more years
    to catch up to "The Process" done by Philly. Heck we got decades
    to get to where the Kings are now.

vator likes this.
  16. my time to shine

Please move on from tate.

Tate and Wood are black holes

jcmoon and vator like this.
  17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

It really sucks that when you look at this roster's individual talent , we should be a 35- 40 win team easy... Then when you factor in the upcoming high pick , that should put us as a lock for playoffs for years to come... BUT the damn talent is so redundant, that even if they all " buy in " , it's never going to naturally work... Good teams, that we're gonna be competing for a playoff spot with, are gonna poach this roster and send flowers and candy thanking us...

vator likes this.
  18. vator

You are correct. They can add 2 guaranteed contracts to the 13 players we expect back next year just fine.

But should they? Consider…

1. Tate and Wood are entering the last year of contracts that are good value salary wise. A team probably gives you more for them before the season when they can get a full year with them than they would give you at the trade deadline. And do want to run the risk of not moving him and having to decide if they even want to pay him or just let him walk for nothing? This off-season may be the last best chance they have to get something decent for him.

2. Positional logjams and playing time. Adding 2 rookies especially at least 1 that you may HAVE to start forces a guy to the bench. We have a few guys on this team that won’t like that. Playing time will also be tough to come by. Like it was for Sengun most of the year.

3. Consolidation. The idea is to take a couple of guys that don’t necessarily factor into the long term and package them for one guy or with our Brooklyn pick to move up in order to get a player that will be here and factors into the long term. That was the true premise of the topic. What if you can overpay a little and move up to a spot where you can grab a Jalen Duran, Keegan Murray, Adrian Griffin, etc.? Do you do that?

4. The longer they hold on to some of these guys, the more you risk the assets depreciating and you’re cutting into the playing time and development of your younger players.

Corrosion likes this.
  19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm not sure we NEED to move anyone.

Young teams with inexperienced players tend to lose games. We need to wait and see how the ping pong balls bounce before we go blowing everything up, but even if we get pick #1 or #2 there is still the need to have veterans and role players to work alongside the younger players.

The only move I might make early on is to see if we can get a return on Gordon by packaging him and the BKN pick to trade up. Perhaps Portland sees an opportunity and sends back Bledsoe and one of their picks?

Apart from that, we need veterans and workers to play alongside Green and our latest (top 2?) pick. For that reason (as much as I hate watching him out there) I don't think moving Wood is the right answer to start the season. Sengun isn't ready to start yet, and another half season off the bench might be really good for him. Wood can be potentially be traded later in the year. But if we were to move him, we'd need to find another starting big to partner with whomever we draft - Holmgren would need a bruiser type face up 4 who can hit the 3 consistently; Smith and Wood could actually be a decent tandem, opening up driving lanes for Green with their shooting ability.

TL;DR - don't go downsizing just yet - it's all about the summer of 2023. Wall off the books and the chance to chase a max free agent. Next season should be about cobbling together as many wins as possible, seeing what we actually have, and then convincing someone to come here via cap space, or a trade. If a trade, THAT is the time that we cash in some assets (players and picks).

20. AXG

AXG Member

Sengun and Green are the only two I'd consider off-limits at the moment. I like Martin, too, but he can be had for the right price. Everyone else I'm either indifferent about or dislike.

cryout75 likes this.