1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's semi-official: What's-his-name's coming back

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Swopa, Sep 10, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

And CNNSI's Marty Burns looks to have been the first guy to put it on the Web.

To those skeptics who questioned if the six-time NBA champion could accept playing with a losing franchise such as the Wizards, Jordan said he'd "matured" and come to learn that "winning isn't always about championships." He explained that winning could be defined in many ways. "It doesn't always have to be the scoreboard at the end of the game," he said.

[ . . . ] When asked why he was coming back, Jordan responded: "For the love of the game, nothing else."

#1 Swopa, Sep 10, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2001
  2. noemi

noemi Member

Geez, I hope the article is not true. Kobe, Vince or Ray Allen will kick his behind.

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

My father-in-law heard that Charles would've come back also, but 200 pounds of him wanted to and the other 100 pounds didn't. ;)

4. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

What, were 50 pounds undecided? :)

5. Legendary21

Legendary21 Member

Starting at point forward for the Washington Wizards! Number 23... :eek:

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

LOL! By the way guys, I heard 3 months ago that Michael Jordan was in contact with Dennis Rodman for awhile and told him "to be ready". Expect Dennis Rodman to show up in Washington.

7. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Bwahahhahhahh.......What a crock!! Sounds to me like he's already setting himself up to lose. I wonder how much under-the-table dealing went on to convince him and his ****** ego to join a cellar dweller team like the wizards.

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

What does MJ have to gain from doing this stupid, regretful move. A sore back?? A knee injury?? He's going to tarnish his image, IMO.

9. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Look at the difference in salaries if he plays versus ownership, he's virtually will be playing for free when he comes back...now please don't say millions mean nothing to him because he's so rich....if you play a game for a living all of your life, that passion doesn't go away quickly...The 'tarnish his image' argument is just silly....who cares???? why do we care so much about his image? shouldn't this be HIS issue instead of ours? Let the guy do what he loves before he gets into his mid-40's and really regret not trying to comeback earlier...

#9 ChenZhen, Sep 11, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2001
  10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Jordan left in the greatest way possible, hitting the game-winning shot (despite the obvious push-off) against the Jazz to end the series and give Da Bulls another title. Now he wants to come back to a team that will be lucky to win 30 games, even though he's nowhere in the shape of what's he normally in. And he wants to do this to satisfy "the competitive fire" inside him. I'm sorry, but that's just blowing smoke up our ass! He's doing it because of his ego. You don't think he's been eating up all these people wondering, "Will he or won't he?" He has nothing to prove. He set the bar so high that there's nothing for him to do but fail, especially with the Wizards. It will take a real Wizard to get this bunch into the playoffs, and although MJ is close to being superhuman, he is no wizard.

However, now that I think about it, I think I'll get a lot of pleasure of seeing Allen, Kobe, Vince, Tracy, Franchise, and others schooling him every game! My guess is that he won't finish the season because he'll either get hurt or his ego won't be able to take it.

11. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Hey, wouldnt it prove just how good he was/is if he did take the sorry Wizards to the playoffs. I think that would add to his legacy. What if after all this time MJ still has something left? I am not a huge Jordan fan but I will never doubt his talent and desire. If anyone can still do it its MJ.

12. Kurupt the Kingpin

I hate how people complain about that "tarnishing his image" thing. People should realize by now that when we look back at the greats, we remember their accomplishments and good times, not the times when they were semi-washed up and couldn't do it anymore.

When people think back about Magic Johnson, do they ever bring up his multiple comebacks in the 90's? Of course not. All they ever talk about is Showtime. Same thing with Jordan. When we look back at his career, we'll talk about the Bulls, not the Wizards.

I can't understand why people bash him for coming back. Basketball is his life. He loves the game. His heart tells him to play, so he's gonna play. That's supposed to be ego on his part? Give me a break. He's just another in a long line of athletes who simply can't walk away from a game they love.