1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's real now. What would you give up for Tony Romo?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Another Brother, Mar 9, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yes, I feel the same way. However, I don't want to give up any leverage by trading for him without that figured out.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

If any trade was to go down it would be the other team getting Romo and a pick. Cowboys have no leverage, what's Jerra thinking?

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They have plenty of leverage; first of all, Jones is under no obligation to deal Romo to the team of his choice; would the Rams or Jets deal for Romo if the price were right? They have better assets to offer than the Texans or Broncos. What if he calls Smith and tells him the Rams are (legitimately) willing to offer a 4?

And if a trade can't be worked out, once Romo hits the open market, his pursuers lose any control over the situation. If Denver and Houston both REALLY want him, that sparks a bidding war when a day 3 pick would've avoided any drama and kept costs way down.

No Chance likes this.
  4. justtxyank

The Rams aren't giving up a 4th rounder for Romo any more than the Texans are.

5. ipaman

But why would either Houston or Denver willingly do this? I'd bet money on it, this will never happen because they know they have the power. Sure one of them won't get Romo but I don't think they mind as much as Jerra thinks they would.

Jerra is creating this alternate reality of leverage that has no basis whatsoever. He 'aint gonna pay Romo 19 million cash and use up 24 million of their 2017 cap to back up Dak and everyone knows that!?!?

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I fully believe the Broncos rumors about not trading for him. Elway doesn't play that. Now our GM....

7. Hey Now!

I would be 100% confident in his willingness to renegotiate. These guys chase guaranteed money.

AND... even if he doesn't... and he gets hurt on the first play of the regular season, you took a $14MM gamble......

8. Hey Now!

Willingly engage in a bidding war? Because they want to sign Tony Romo.

If you're the Texans, do you really want Tony Romo in a room with JOHN FREAKING ELWAY and PEYTON FREAKING MANNING and their four Super Bowl rings? A trade is the only way to prevent that from happening.

9. Hey Now!

Probably not; but then, they're an under-the-radar team that has a really good defense who might see a year or two of Tony Romo as a big selling point in LA.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I must have missed something. Is Peyton part of the Broncos front office now?

I'm not worried about Romo hitting FA.

Houston has talent, money, and a weak division.

I'm confident he will decide we're his best landing spot.

ipaman likes this.
  11. Hey Now!

You don't think he'd participate in recruiting Romo to Denver? I do. Even if he didn't, his story - "Look what we did for Peyton Manning late in his career" - will resonate far more than, "Look at the career years Fitzy and Hoyer had with us."

12. ipaman

If I'm GM yea I do. For Romo (oft-injured, 1 playoff win), I need to see that he wants us more than we want him for it to work. If he "likes" Denver so be it. Go freeze your ass off in Colorado with a new coaching staff and a very depleted former NFL champion. You gotta have a poker face and show a position of strength.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Every year I think this and every year I'm wrong.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

No. I don't.

Unless he's like super bored or something.

♫ Nationwide is on your side ♫

15. Hey Now!

Stop. 1) you're wrong; he's 2-4; 2) who gives a flying **** how many playoff wins he has? Would you have traded for Matt Ryan this time last year? He only had ONE playoff win (1-4).

Not that it matters, but Romo has won 62% of his career regular season starts. And has a 93 QB rating in the postseason. There is ZERO reason to think, if he were to get into the playoffs, that he would somehow derail it.

That is... well, that's silly and has no bearing on whether it'll work. Health is the mitigating factor. If he's healthy, it'll work because he has proven, if healthy, to be a very good QB.

16. ipaman

You don't get what I'm saying at all. I would like Romo to come to the Texans but I don't tell Jerra that because neither will Elway. Everyone (Romo, Texans, Broncos) except Jerra wants Romo to hit the open market and they all no that. Once that happens Romo can go where he wants and if you're not wanted you certainly don't trade for him.

17. Hey Now!

Jerry: Hey, John, it's Jerry Jones... any interest in sending a 5 for Romo?
    John: No
    Jerry: OK, let's see if the Texans feel the same way....
    John: Wait, wait, wait.........

If you want him, the ONLY way to guarantee you get him is to trade for him. If he hits the open market, Romo seizes control of the process and you're at his mercy.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  18. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Isn't Romo a truly unrestricted FA if he gets released?

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This is true, but I have a feeling Romo will dictate who Jerry calls. Also, I have a feeling the Texans will shy away from obtaining a pre-annointed starting quarterback that they haven't extensively vetted beforehand from now on...

20. justtxyank

No. The way the rule works they have to reach free agency by their contract expiring. If they are cut they are not considered an unrestricted free agent, they are considered a street free agent.

Fullcourt likes this.