1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's real now. What would you give up for Tony Romo?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Another Brother, Mar 9, 2017.

1. liveguy

liveguy Member

Could be....but I think that they just wanted to get rid of him and save on cap space..period.

If it's for Romo, Cutler, whoever..

Main thing they wanted to do was shed themselves of that BO.

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Please Denver outbid Houston.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You want Savage starting instead?

mockster likes this.
  4. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

would rather force the FO to draft and groom a QB for once in franchise history.. aside from that guy 15 yrs ago

Would like Romo/Cutler, on smart performance based contract

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If the decision is to trade Romo...Jerry Jones isnt gonna send Romo to a situation he doesnt wanna be in. Denver has a really good defensive team and their OLine stinks...furthermore they play against...Oakland, Kansas City and San Diego. Does Romo wanna see these guys more so in his latter years of his career rather than..

Playing in a crappy AFC south division against a much more inferior division...

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Picking up Romo doesn't mean that they won't draft a QB to groom and even if they don't get Romo the QB they pick won't play the first season almost certainly. I don't see how it would make a difference one way or the other.

texans1095 likes this.
  7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

We're drafting a QB, it's happening no matter what happens going forward.

texans1095 and justtxyank like this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It is *a* reason, yes. However, it is not *the* reason.

Osweiler was dead weight. There was no reason to bring him back.

Cap space is a universal tool. If we miss on Romo, we can use that money for other needs.

9. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Pretty sure that will end up happening. But it still needs to be said, we would save a ton if they release and we just sign.

10. Fullcourt

Is there a benefit in trading for romo in the form of receiving a better compensatory pick for Bouye?

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Good question, that's what I was thinking.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

No. They have nothing to do with one another.

The advantage to trading for Romo is you eliminate any free market competition. And frankly, if they want him, they'd be fools to let him hit free agency. If a flier on Brock Osweiler is worth $37MM; Tony Romo is worth a day 3 pick. Easily.

You can then renegotiate his contract, which he'll want to do anyway because he has no built-in bonus money remaining. Make it incentive-laden, with roster bonuses and game-played bonuses and go from there.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

A 7th rounder? A 6th rounder? Sure as long as you know Romo wants to renegotiate. Has to be part of the deal. I don't want to get stuck owing him $14 million this year and in a situation where we would have to cut him. This is the year you have the most leverage with him because he hasn't been healthy. If you absorb the contract and he doesn't renegotiate and has a good year, you are in a real pickle with him.

Anyway, if I'm the Texans I don't see him as likely enough to be healthy to give up anything higher than a 6th round pick. Yes, when healthy he was a really good quarterback. He's also 37 and hasn't been healthy in 2 years. I won't give up a pick higher than a 6 to take a chance that he's going to be healthier at 38 than he was at 35. Even IF healthy, he's also competing against father time.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nothing. Wait for his release, even if that's in April, May, June or July. And if Jerry wants to keep him (& his $24M? cap #), good for him.

15. Fullcourt

I'll take your word for it, but my understanding is that comp picks are rewarded based on FAs lost vs FA signed. I was thinking we could circumvent that by trading for Romo, rather than signing him outright.

16. justtxyank

This is what I think the Texans should and will do.

17. justtxyank

If Romo is released he doesn't count to the formula at all. It only accounts for truly unrestricted free agents. If he is cut he doesn't hurt us or help the Cowboys with comp pick calculations.

18. StevieCrossover

19. rockets13champs

I can't even imagine Tony supporting Houston. Going to Rockets/Astros games. He's been the face of Dallas next to Dirk probably bigger than Dirk since I was a kid

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

There's a less than zero % chance of that happening. He no longer has any guarantees built into his contract. If he doesn't make it out of OTAs healthy, the Texans can cut him, free and clear, and his $14MM base salary - as well as the ~$40MM he's owed the next two years - goes bye-bye.

So as much as health is a factor if you're the Texans, it's of equal concern to Romo (if he's being honest with himself). I guarantee you he'd take roster and games-played bonuses - which are guaranteed... if the provisions are met - over no guarantees at all.

He'll renegotiate.