1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Official! Yanks fans are already bitter.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Oski2005, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I've got one hyphentated word for those ****ers:

NO-HITTER!!!!!

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The white hummer thing was joke at the press conference. Clemens joked with the car dealer that he still could use that hummer, a white one for debbie since he had a burnt orange one already. It generated laughs from the crowd, too. And it was a good gesture.

I'm sick of seeing New Yorkers whine over this. They always buy anything they want and when players actually decide to play other places they complain to no end. The Yankees are not baseball. They have so many world titles because got lucky enough to have Boston drop a dynasty in their lap with the Ruth trade. And now, they have good management, but having a payroll that outclasses even your nearest competitor by 70-80 million is a huge advantage. They have benefitted because of baseball's idiotic economic system more than every other team.

I like seeing the Yankees lose talent, not because it angers them and their fans(though it is a plus), its because it's good for baseball. Just like having the A-Rod trade block was good for baseball. The last time I checked, 30 teams, in 30 cities played Major League Baseball, not just the Red Sox and Yankees, but I could be wrong.

3. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

I can't wait for the first sit-down interview with Roger, hopefully from someone not based in the Northeast.

There's no way he expected all of this crap; he just wanted to pitch one more year. It was his choice. And that makes him a traitor?

I'm sure he still feels like and always will be a Yankee inside, but if those fans (who seem to become more and more despicable every passing day) keep this **** up, I wouldn't doubt him retiring as Sock.

I haven't read one nice article regarding Clemens since he signed. The least hatred came from the Times a couple days ago that barely made an allusion to the fans (and readers) that maybe they should have blamed Steinbrenner.

Still, it's great to see my cousin so pissed.:D He plans (or so he says:rolleyes: ) on going to Shea August 10, 11, or 12, dress up in Yankees attire and 'throw bats at that *******'.

Jesus, you would think they would at least thank him for his years of service! And if they don't see how their anger is purely and ONLY selfish, then they are the worst fans in baseball. Bottom line: Clemens retired; he wasn't going to come back with NY, Boston, Houston, any team. Then the idiot Yankees don't sign Pettitte; Clemens sees a great opportunity to fulfill a dream of his.

YOU LOSE NYY FANS!!!

#63 Mr. Mooch, Jan 14, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The Yankees fans who are whining and moaning just don't get it. They don't get how it all came together. They don't get how he could not retire a Yankee. They want to claim everything Roger said about retirement and all that was a total lie. Is it a lie if it's true when your saying it and you believe it with all your heart only to have some set of rare circumstances come along to change your mind after the fact? To me...that doesn't fit the definition of a lie. I interpret a lie to mean there was willful deception. I'm sure he never even contemplated this set of circumstances occurring at the time and he really did believe his decision was final. Are you saying you believe that to be a lie? If so, then that is a pretty presumptious statement.

It seems to me that Yankees fans should have an understanding of hometown appeal as well. They want to brush off Clemens like he isn't a Houstonian because he's not a native Houstonian but, rather, was originally from Ohio(I believe). I believe that Clemens is being honest in that he wants to partially do this to help the city of Houston. It's great for our city and our city's baseball. He knows our team and some of our guys well. He knows how bad they want to win. Obviously, there is a lot of persuasion going on with everyone and his dog prodding him back. I mean...his kids and wife obviously wanted him to do it as noted by their x-mas. Clemens wants to be with his family. He thought he was retired until he could have the best of both the worlds he lives for...family(first) and baseball(second). He also has permission to skip some road trips which must be a positive factor in swaying him to come back. For home games, he will sleep at home obviously.

I'm not really saying anything new...am I? That's because we're all talking in circles. We know...deep down...how this unfolded and why it happened. If the Yankees fans who just flat out don't see how something like this could happen actually get all the factors involved, get past their disbelief that "he didn't retire a Yankee", get over their having given him standing ovations when he really wasn't retiring(unbeknownst to him), etc. etc. etc., then I'm sure they can find it in their hearts to forgive him. If not, then your just not being fair intentionally or you still just don't get it. LOL. I think once you have had time to let it sink in...then you will get over it and actually be grateful for the five years he gave you. But, there's a chance it may never sink in because...let's face it...your obnoxiously large payroll has lured practically every player you ever wanted at some point. However, you may never get over it cause if he didn't retire a Yankee...then he isn't a Yankee. You were wanting him to give it all up and end it a Yankee under all circumstances. Is that really fair? Does that mean he is disloyal? I think it kind of shows how spoiled some of you Yankees fans can be. I think if you were in a similar situation as Clemens, then you would be making the same choice. The situation is gravy for him. The gravy wasn't made until December and the recipe didn't even exist before that. The gravy is damn good. Must eat gravy. :)

Surf

5. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

How is this any different than what Jordan did? Bulls fans didn't consider him a traitor

6. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I'm an Astros fan and I hate the Yankees, so what's happened is doubly sweet...

but I have to say, most Yankee fans are not bitter toward Clemens, but at the Yankees for mishandling the situation.

The chron had an article about how NY columnists were disparaging Clemens...that actually is not true.

The headline in the NYTimes was "Don't Blame Clemens for Yank's mistakes".

Anyway, it's already a non-issue here...so much for bitterness.

But go Astros!

7. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

But we've seen the Daily News and Post took a different tack, at least in their headlines, such as "Roger the Rat" and "What as Asstro".

Mike Vaccaro's column in the Post, entitled "Good Riddance, Rat" with a sidebar called "Roger's Diary of Deceit" seemed to be geared more against Clemens than the Yankees.

It looks like there are at least some NY columnists who are disparaging Clemens.

8. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I know the article is a couple of days old but I haven't seen it until today and I had know idea they started calling his kids liars.

Patrick Reusse: Another liar vexes Hall voters

Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune
    Published January 13, 2004

The Clemens family was paraded into an interview room at Pro Player Stadium early on a Thursday morning in October. Clemens had pitched the first six innings in the Yankees' 4-3, 12-inning loss to the Marlins in Game 4 of the World Series.

Clemens answered questions for a long time about the emotions of his final major league start, then there was a choreographed conclusion to the news conference.

Kacy Clemens, 9, and the third of the family's four sons, said to the assembled media: "Thank you for watching over my dad for the last 40 years . . . I mean, 20 years. We'll take it from here."

On Monday, the Houston Astros announced that Rocket Roger had signed a $5 million contract to pitch in 2004.

It's one thing for baseball fans to be lied to by Pete Rose, even as he is making an alleged confession of past wrongs. It's deplorable to be lied to by a 9-year-old kid.

As a voting member of the Baseball Writers Association of America, I'm no longer certain of being able to support Clemens when he becomes eligible for the Hall of Fame.

I saw him with my own eyes giving a high five to Kacy in the media room that morning, immediately after the kid mouthed his falsehood.

Should we have people in the Hall of Fame who have been seen high-fiving blatant liars? That's an issue all veteran members of the BBWAA will have to wrestle with in the next few years, before we get our chance to pass judgment on The Rocket

-----------

Maybe they will calm down soon.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What a joke.

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Sweet Jesus, is that article a joke?

Yes, it is a joke, whether intended as such or not.

11. mrpaige

Why is a guy from Minneapolis so bitter about it?

12. Surfguy

I don't think he's joking. He's just another one that doesn't get it.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It was satire.

I sent him an e-mail and he responded.

14. mrpaige

I see.

Given the reaction in New York, his bit was a little too subtle.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They are so spoiled. I guess buying all the players they want isn't enough.

16. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

That's good, I was starting to get a little nervous for The Clemens family.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I agree.

18. Surfguy

Ah...Reusse with the ruse. ;)

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Now he's asking about this forum. :)

20. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Yeah, but it's the ny post and the daily news! I don't know...but those headlines are half comedy and the articles are ridiculously over the top.

I don't know, the sentiment in the city is more that the Yankees dropped the ball then Roger was a rat or anything. I think most people are just disappointed that the Yankees are going to suck next year and are upset they lost first Pettite and then Clemens. NY shows it's love in weird ways.

Anyway, I'd say don't take the Daily News or the Post too seriously, they like to make fun of everyone. In the meantime, enjoy what will be something you rarely get...to bask in the national media for at least a year. I'm happy for Houston and the 'Stros, so just enjoy it!