1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Its offical Stockton Retires

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rocketfan83, May 2, 2003.

1. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0502/1548503.html

Stockton: 'I think it's time to move on'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY -- Utah Jazz guard John Stockton, the NBA's all-time assist leader, said Friday that he plans to retire after 19 seasons.

Stockton met with Jazz owner Larry Miller and coach Jerry Sloan and told them he was not planning to return for a 20th season.

"I think I'm finished,'' Stockton said. "I informed those guys and that's the direction I'm headed. I just said, 'I think it's time to move on.'''

The Jazz's stonefaced leader who never seemed to age continued to excel late in his career at a position that usually chases players away by their early 30s.

Stockton even spent his last few seasons trotting the ball up the court past a handful of former opponents who retired long ago and are coaching.

Named one of the 50 greatest players in NBA history, Stockton played in every game in 17 of his 19 seasons and is the runaway all-time leader in career assists (15,806) and steals (3,265).

2. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

You beat me by 25 seconds.

Yeah, it's time fo him to end it.

3. Just B

Just B Member

I know a lot of you guys don't like Stockton, but you gotta respect the guy. He had to be the best PURE point guard in NBA history.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

it would be soooo coool if Clutch would lock this thread....in an unfair foul call kind of admin flop.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

congrats to Stockton and hope he has a good life OFF THE COURT. I hope I dont see him on it again...even as a coach.

go and spend time with your family.

6. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I respect Stockton...ALOT.

But, the freakin guy killed me with that shot he hit against us in the WCF in 1996. I was looking forward to Dream and Jordan duking it out.

Stockton had a great career.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I still have good feelings about Stockton. We whupped him when it mattered- on our way to our 2 rings, when Hakeem was in his prime. We would have lost in 1996 anyways.

8. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

Man, F&%^ Stockton!

I'm just playin'.. I respect what his assists/steals records but I'm glad the game will be rid of his elbows, flopping and all of this other dirty tricks.

9. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

you can bash the guy all you want,

but he was a clutch playoff performer, a great defender, and never missed a 15 foot jumper.

Oh, and Stockton can pass too. It was because of him that every player who went to Utah always played better.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

One of the all-time greats, ever.

Once the Jazz-Rockets rivalry died off, once the Rockets decided to suck, my level of appreciation/respect for Malone and Stockton went up 10-fold. Never ever take for granted the great players who are here today, and gone tommorow.

11. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Hope he lives happily ever after.
    He's a legend and I respect him a lot.

12. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

The greatest pg ever. I wish he would play to 50 just to prove he could.

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

He can sux a nutt as far as I'm concerned.

14. FlyWilliams

FlyWilliams Contributing Member

Stockton was an excellent passer, an excellent midrangei jump-shooter, and a terrific a-hole. How many times did he tie up (i.e., HOLD) people setting a screen or trying to get around one, only to come flailing wildly out of it and get a call? He lived at the foul line his entire career, just like Malone. I am happy to see him retire ring-less.

15. FlyWilliams

FlyWilliams Contributing Member

OMG, that was poor grammar.

/learning

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

bout time he decides to flop into the sunset.

watching the Jazz will actually be enjoyable next year. I will not miss him one ****ing bit.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Flopton is Gone!!!!

No more Flopton! He's out, he's gone, no more hard elbows and cheap shots! We don't have to look at his sneer anymore. Goodbye to a miserable old man! I loathe you John! Don't let the door hit you on your way out. You retired a loser, never could win the big one! Your cheap shots weren't enough to get you all the way! We, as Rockets fans, will always hate you.

18. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Props to Stockton. He was everything a point guard should be and will be a welcomed addition to the hall of fame.

That said, I'm glad he's gone.

19. walls

walls Member

Couldn't have said it better myself.

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

no i don't. he was a flopping, cheap, cheating b*stard. as a rule, i don't respect flopping, cheap, cheating bastards. i hope his acl snaps on the way up to the podium during his retirement press conference (if he has one).

it will be weird to see the jazz w/o flopton, karla, and sloan. they may actually start their long rehabilitation towards being a franchise i don't hate. if things go right, they could be off the hate list by maybe 2025.