1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Not Enough, Yet. Win Game 5.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SeeingRocketRed, May 11, 2009.

1. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

exactly. it makes me sick how all the media is talking about how the Lakers lost it. we are a completely different team without Yao and with Hayes in there.

i get the sense the Lakers think they will win the next 2, well they are severely underestimating us and will be in for a rude awakening.

2. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I think it comes down to Artest starting Rockets off well. When he shows up on big games (Ala game 6 vs. Portland), the Rockets can rally behind him.

I'd love to see Artest bring it early and somehow the rest of the Rockets follow his lead and have a HUGE game. Omg beating LA would be sweet, beating LA w/out Yao would be BEAUTIFUL!

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well there is no way of getting around it, but if we are going to shock the world and win this series, we must find a way to win at least one more time at the Staples Center. The element of surprise and using a different philosophy on offense is gone for us but we do have the fact that Ron Artest had a MISERABLE shooting performance in Game 4 plus we didn't get much from Landry and Scola only scored 11 points.

As The YoYo said, if we can limit our turnovers and prevent them from getting easy transition baskets plus continue to hit the majority of the wide open shots, we should have a great chance. The Lakers don't like playing teams like the way the Rockets are having to play which is why they struggled with Portland and the Bobcats. We need to play a fast paced style but at the same time, keep the score in the low 90s, high 80s, if that makes any sense. I don't see this Rockets team being the next coming of the Suns, but it is definitely a quicker team now.

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Both times that Houston won, Lakers failed to score 100. Both times that Lakers won, they scored over a 100. We cannot get in a shootout with them. Scoring droughts from us that dwells on for many minutes will do us in, because a team like the Lakers that can go in scoring spurts like 12-0 runs real quick.

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Do I like the rhetorical device of answering your own question?

Yes.

Is Kobe Bryant a flaming d-bag?

Yes.

1 person likes this.
  6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Simply cutting down on turnovers gives the Rockets a shot. Without those easy fast break points off of turnovers, the Lakers are much more manageable. The Lakers are going to drive to the hole a lot in the next game, so it will be up to the Rockets to keep moving their feet and strip the ball. I have a feeling Stern has a sent a help the Lakers at all cost directive to the refs.

7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

BAttier is a huge key. I know guarding Kobe takes a huge amount of energy(and abuse from kobe-both physically and verbally), but he ash to stay agressive and look for his shot on offense. keep shooting Shane. Like he said, if he gets 20 open looks from the perimter take him all!!

8. acjeitherocket

we're gonna have 2 play damn near perfect to pull this one out..LA is obviously gonna give it there all...

9. tslee98

tslee98 Contributing Member

I don't think it's so obvious that LA is going to give it their all. If they could turn it on and off like that, why didn't they destroy the Rockets in Game 2, and why were they completely lost in Game 4? My theory is that we've seen the Lakers give it their all, and we just match up well against them. We have the toughness, the physical play and the grit to throw sand into their finesse game. So in that respect, I think our game plan and strengths are "perfect" against the Lakers. And it's just a matter of us executing the things we do well.

I hope once and for all after the Rockets beat the Lakers in this series that people will finally recognize that Lakers basketball is like the Mavericks from several years ago or the Suns of recent memory -- it puts up big numbers and makes Sports Center highlights in the regular season but it always falls short in the playoffs.

10. zpengwei

zpengwei Member

Come on,Rocekts men! Beat L.A, and win my 10RMB from my classmate! :p

11. SeeingRocketRed

I love the fans in China. Their posts always make me smile.

But seriously, I think the Rockets take Game 5. I've been thinking about this, and I just don't think the Lakers match up. They could have more intensity, but as long as we don't turn the rock over, I don't really see them pulling it off.

12. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I've though before this series started that we have the best chance to beat the Lakers, even though NOBODY in the media believed it until the game 1 win.

We are the ultimate underdogs. We've lost BOTH of our superstars. And, even with both of them, nobody expected us to contend. Now we are tied 2-2 with a team that everyone expected to steamroll us. Its not over though. I'm immensely proud of this team, but I think they are destined for greatness. I don't want to hear "Maybe next year again". I'll be proud of this team as long as they play their hearts out like they have been, but I'll be even more proud if they win it. And, I think we can.

I agree, less turnovers, that has been killing us. Also, I think Artest will rebound, and have a much better game, which will help us. I don't expect Battier to have the same game offensively, but if Artest can pick up his slack we are all good.

I really think we have a legitimate shot at winning this.

13. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

In a weird way for the first time I feel the same way. This team will go down as one of my favorite Rockets teams and I have been watching since 1980. Yes I want them to win but they way they have been playing has definately made them Americas team for at least this year. Hell even Kenny and Charles were talking Championship :D

14. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

Great Post :)

15. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

After game 5, push it to the limit, GET GAME 6! :D

16. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

turn overs are key, as well as a better performance by ron, kobe was off, that won't happen again. so we have to adjust by slowing down pau in the 4th, chuck did well until we had to take him out for the hackahayes, von will play more cause we will need more offense this game i predict, maybe some barry so we cant get more 3s, chances of shane playing that well again while guarding kobe are slim, but he still needs to chip in some baskets and not just 3s

i honestly think the lakers will win, but wouldnt be shocked if they lost because i believe:
    chuck hayes will continue his great d and hustle
    ab will play well, prolly not 34 well
    lowry will prolly continue to push the issue
    ron will bring the intensity

its up to everyone else to play smart basketball, no unnecessary turn overs, take the easy shots not the hard ones, move the ball and play like you think you can win

i am really excited for this game, but equally nervous because we did exert a lot of energy in game 4 and it will take even more to overcome to visitors court