1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Mad Max's birthday.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kam, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Only 30 minutes left in this day before it is 12 midnight. Today is Mad Max's birthday. No, not our poster Madmax, but our Rocket Mad Max. Vernon "I beat up Portland Fans" Maxwell is 37 today. I heard it on another edition of Matt Jackson's celebrity birthday.

Happy Birthday to Mad Max. BTW, did he ever get his 2nd championship ring?

I hope he did, he deserves it.

2. CoPilot

CoPilot Member

Big damm deal he is not a Rock anymore nor was he good for long here was more of a Thug than a good player...:cool:

3. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

He was a HUGE part of our first championship run and still adored by many on this board. He is a Rocket forever to me.

But you just got on the bandwagon, so what would you know.

4. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Mad Max was my hero; he was only player that could break down
    the defense during the 1994 season.

Anyone remember Game 3, Western Conference Semi-Finals,
    in Phoenix? (5 three-pointers in a row!).

This was after we blew two 18+ 4th quarter leads in games
    1 and 2. It was this game that defined "Choke City" only to turn into
    "Clutch City." :)

So, Happy Birthday, Mad Max! Thanks for helping out Hakeem!

5. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Did he get a new gun to wave around in lunchtime traffic for his B day? :eek: ;) :D

6. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I practically worshipped the ground that Mad Max walked on during the Championship yrs!

Happy Birthday Max, and thanks for the memories!

7. rookie2

rookie2 Member

my most memoriable moment for mad max was against the denver nuggets. there was only like 1.5 secs on the clock and we inbounds it tryin to hit hakeem for a dunk but it went through his hands and max got it before it went out of bounds and shot it and it went in. So for that moment I say Happy Birthday Mad Max:eek:

8. cometsluv4play

Happy Birthday! Vernon

from a fan whom still remembers your contrabutions with admirations.

9. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

much love madmax, thanks for all the memories

10. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Happy B-Day Max. Thanx for sealing the deal in game 7 of the '94 finals. The Rocks could use someone with your defensive tenacity nowadays.

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

It's funny how much you guys love Maxwell.

Considering the fact that he pulled a Quitten, and ditched the team in the middle of the playoff series, because he couldn't understand that Drexler was better than him, and deserved to start.

Max is an a-hole who did help us win 1 ring. Regardless, I have zero respect for him.

12. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Mad Max had his problems, and I would not like to see him as any child's hero. However, he deserves his due as a ferocious competitor -- I'll never forget his 30-point quarter or clutch shots. For a $50,000 purchase by the Rockets from the Spurs, he was a steal. I'm late, but happy birthday, Max. May the personal demons that haunted you during your career be swept away.

13. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

I remember the game he went off for like 30 fourth quarter points. He always played Jordan pretty tough, a lot of trash talking. Happy B-Day Max.

14. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year

15. TCDREAM

TCDREAM Member

Happy b-day mad max. Max ruled and put the nail in the coffin in game 7 of the '94 finals. Sure he had his problems especially when we traded for Drexler, but can you blame him, he was our starter for years, and was replaced like that. Anyway all you mad max haters.....Shut-up!

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Happy birthday Max!

17. wowming

wowming Member

Happy birthday Vernon, you were the only person Jordan was scared of. You kinda scared me too, but I love ya.
    Met Max one day at Houston's during the first Finals. Real class act, introduced me to his wife and to John Lucas. If it was up to me, Mobely would be backing you up this year on the Rockets.
    W

18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Max happy Bday!!!!!

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Happy birthday, Max!

You had your picadillos and moments of outrage at the world, life, or the cards you were dealt... but Jordan still wakes up in a sweat thinking about your D (before he realizes it was a "mad" nightmare) and we remember all the clutch play you gave us before your demons caught up with you.

Everyone has their demons. Some imagine being the inflatable copilot on "Airplane". Some imagine being a rock balancing on an 8-ball. Max, you had your own imagination. The reality is that you were a great Rocket player until your imagination ran away from you. Your hard to love, Max, but we love you anyway. We'll never forget.

#19 Deckard, Sep 13, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2002
  20. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

And we all have ZERO respect for you kidrock8!

He played a heck of a game 7, Give the guy some respect