1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Going to Be Alright Because ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manny Ramirez, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Rudy T and Cd will figure out what to do considering this latest calamity. I have complete faith in them and everybody else here should to. Even if we don't pick up Jahidi White, Marc Jackson, Jelani McCoy, etc., then there is a good reason why Rudy T and CD decide not to pursue other players. Personally, I think the Rockets need to do this:

Give Kenny Thomas a chance at starting at the 4 spot. I have read posts for a month where people have suggested that we trade him. Aren't you glad that the Rockets didn't trade him? If Kenny is ever to do anything in this league this is his now or never. Defensively, I think Kenny is better than Mo. He won't give you the offense that Mo can, but with Francis, Mobley, and Rice this might be for the best. You know the old saying, "There's not enough basketballs to keep people happy", well that may not apply now.

The other options are to move Glen Rice to the 4 spot and let the Wizard start at the 3. Not a good move, IMO, because Rice is not physical enough to bang with the 4's in this league--he's a finesse player. Plus the Wizard starting at the 3 would make a below-average team defensively even worse. Also, he's too inconsistent and he would take shots away from the big 3. So, I don't think you'll see this option.

Another alternative is to start Eddie Griffin at the 4. Personally, I think it would be a mistake to throw him into the starting line-up this soon. Realistically, he was not going to start if Mo didn't get hurt. The fact that the Rockets got Rice showed that Rudy T and CD didn't feel that EG was ready to start. To start him now may not be a good idea. Ideally, I think the Rockets wanted EG to come off the bench as the 6th man and eventually move Rice to the bench. However, there's no better way for him to learn than for him to be thrown into the fire. I just think that this is not what the Rockets wanted to do with him. This scenario is probably what will happen unless...

The Rockets can get someone. Chris Gatling and Anthony Mason are probably the 2 best names out there. But is it realistic to get them? I don't think it is. Even if we get them, what do we do when Mo comes back? I still think that the Rockets will go after Jahidi and he may start at the 4. This would probably be better than to have EG start. Don't get me wrong--Eddie is a big part of the Rockets offense; however, I feel the Rockets need him off the bench for now. If they start him, then their bench outside of Moochie (if he re-signs) will find it hard to score when they are on the court.

I really think that the Rockets best plan is to start KT at the 4 with Eddie coming off the bench. Maybe by the All-Star break, the transition can be made to start Eddie at the 4 and let KT go back to the bench. Who knows--Kenny may have a career year and show that he's worthy to start all 82 games. Unless the Rockets get someone, they'll probably start EG at the 4 instead. I just hope that this won't stunt EG's growth, but I'm sure that Rudy T and CD will consider all the alternatives. If they feel that this is the best option, then as a fan of the Rockets, I will stand behind them because I feel they will put the best line-up out there that has a chance to win every night.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I stopped reading right here. No, it is not for the best. Assuming future chemistry problems due to "not enough touches" to go around with Mo' in there as a reason that Mo's injury might be for the best is nothing short of absurd.

Mo's injury is not for the best....not even "might be for the best." Not even close.

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

It's going to be alright b/c I hadn't made that bet that the Rockets were going to do anything ever again in the next decade.

Way to waste the talent of Steve Francis guys. Spend 6 million per on Kelvin Cato. Spend 8 million per on Maurice Taylor. The wuv fest... mmmm hmmmm, wuv ****ing mediocre ****ing fest.

What a ****ing joke.

4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I know this hurts Steve Francis the most. He wants to win really bad and with this injury it hurts the team alot.

5. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Crispee,

It's gonna be alright cause someone on my ignore list says so.... WOO HOOOO

Smeg

PS Heb watch your language punk

6. SixthMan

SixthMan Member

I think it's a good assessment. Kenny thomas or another player (via trade) will be more than capable of manning the position. I prefer a trade because as we can all see ,we do need more depth (offensive depth) at the 4 and 5 positions. Kenny will be a great rebounding machine and plus has a few moves, along with put backs. I don't see how anything changes. Yes, we could lose a few games, but in the same light, we could win some others becuase of the increased rebounding. We have more than enough talent to make up on the offensive side. I wouldn't mind a marc jackson or jahidi white at the 4. We actually have the competition guessing. Is the team going to fall apart? Are they going to be the surprise of the 2001 season? It's definitely going to be an interesting season.

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The same people counting the Rockets out are going to be the same ones who jumping up and down celebrating when this team gets to the playoffs. Francis has a fine crew around him. And it's funny people are going around like they knew Mo was going to blow out his knee or something. It's one thing if you thought the Rockets blew money on Mo because you thought he wouldn't produce, but there is no way anybody can say they blew money on Mo because "they knew he would blow out his achille's tendon".

8. Manny Ramirez

So what are we supposed to do, Crispee, call off the whole freaking season because our 4th option could be out for the whole year?? Give me a break, man!! Yea, it sucks that Mo got hurt but all I'm saying is that if KT is given a chance that hell, he may surprise you. If he has a good season, then that can increase his trade value or better yet make the Rockets an even better team. It's not like it was Steve Francis or Olajuwon in his prime that got hurt and is going to miss the whole season. You gotta have faith that Rudy T and CD will figure something out.

I have been down this road before with all of my main sports teams but none as bad as this year's Red Sox. You wanna talk about something that sucks? Try losing your best position player for the first 100 games in Nomar Garciaparra. Yet, the Red Sox were still in contention and it has only been recently with the boneheaded moves of Dan Duquette that has wrecked their season. Plus they had to deal with the loss of their C, CF, and their ace starting pitcher for extended periods of time.

It sucks but there is no need in getting upset over things that you have no control over. Maybe you're cranky that your historical fantasy game has not been finished yet, I don't know. Just because you have 1,000,000 posts doesn't mean that your word is the gospel. Just chill out and listen to some NIN if you're that angst-ridden.

9. Manny Ramirez

You must really enjoy being a fan of the Rockets. If you feel this way about the Rockets then why do you even root for them? Why wouldn't you root for a "winner" like the Fakers? Your attitude is the f***ing joke!!

10. Francis3

Francis3 Member

If you think the rockets will go anywhere with Kenny Thomas at the starting power forward spot , then you are smoking. Yeah Kenny can rebound better than Mo, but his offense stinks.

Mo couldnt rebound but he was one powerful mother****er. People here talking about Mo and kenny close to same size. If you want to go by height, then yeah they are close but Size of body then , HELL NO. Mo has huge shoulders that can throw the b****es down inside and bang. Kenny is just small and fat. ( BARKLEy) :) ..... Kenny cant compete against the other forwards. Mo had a chance.

Rockets need to do a trade to help the Power Forward spot. Signing Jelani Mccoy isnt enough help. Maybe package Kenny, Walt , picks for a veteran forward thats available at good price.

This is a big loss and Kenny Thomas wont fix the problem.

11. Manny Ramirez

Like I give a flying f*** what you think, you obnoxious a**hole. Buddy, it's people like you that make others feel that there's a clique on this BBS and that "Sr Members" think that their s*** doesn't stink! Well, I got a newsflash for you, genius: just like Rocks Millenium said, you'll be one of the first to jump up and down like a damn fool when the Rockets make the playoffs. Then you'll be one of the first to bash them when they get eliminated from the playoffs. Funny, I didn't think I was on some second-rate forum like ESPN. You might as well as put everyone on this forum who thinks that the Rockets will make the playoffs on your precious ignore list . Then you can have all the fun you want with your other Rocket-bashing buddies as you talk about insipid things like when New York will be flooded by the Atlantic Ocean, Hawaii will disappear under a volcano, and when the world will end. You must really enjoy life!:p

#11 Manny Ramirez, Sep 4, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2001
  12. Manny Ramirez

Just give him a chance. Hell, he may surprise you. I think after the first month of the season, we will all know for sure if he can handle it or not. I'm not stupid enough to say that the Rockets don't need to get anybody, but I feel like there's not a lot to get excited about. Maybe there wasn't any urgency on CD to go get someone. Surely, that will change for now. I just don't think that we should get our hopes up that Anthony Mason or Chris Gatling is going to come in here and save the day.

I never said that KT is our savior; I just said give the guy a chance.

13. The Voice of Reason

hehe

ok, im not even gonna try to take a side onthis one, but i gotta make a point, because it made me laugh.

comparing KT to barkley

think about it, yup, here it comes... ok.... charles B A R K L E Y

oh yeah he managed to use his frame to end up in a small city in Mass. he was league MVP, he won the rebounding title. If having barkleys body is an insult, than give me a whole team of them.

besides KT is at the very least 6'7, so he is 3 inches taller than barkley

14. Manny Ramirez

BTW - Your enthusiaism is so infectious that I felt I could use it to update my sig!!

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It seems simple enough. Kenny Thomas and Eddie Griffen are both better defenders and rebounders than Taylor, Thomas is a better passer as well. The only thing Taylor brought was offense, not much of an outside shot but a legit inside presence. So we lost some offense, big deal. Francis, Rice, Mobley, and Griffen can pick up the 15ppg that we lose with Taylor. Seems fine but it hurts, possible late season chemistry problems might be the worst part. Imagine Griffen eventually averaging 16 and 8 only to have Taylor come back trying to fit in . It will either make us crazy that Griffen is on the bench when Mo is back or that we spent so much on Taylor when Griffen is better and permanently starting. Either that or Griffen is a bust and Taylor comes back weak. Its a bad situation.

16. Francis3

Francis3 Member

With Taylor we lose the chemistry Steve and Cat had with him. Griffin and Rice will take time to learn how steve and cat run the guns.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Achebe,

Get over it. Are you really going to whine about the luv fest all year?

Ziggy and SixthMan,

It is much different to say that losing Mo' to free agency "might be for the best," because you'd still have cap room. Losing a young starter for one of his newly signed 6yrs years making him untradeable can be nothing but bad.

It's like you guys think only 5 people play this game at 40+ minutes, with minor scrub minutes besides.

I like KT starting, and I like Rice playing with 3 guards and a center, and I like Griffin when Rudy thinks he's ready; but going to mismatch-style offense, because we lost significant depth with this injury sucks. And "imagining" Griffin will be 16/8 at 19yrs old is pretty homey.

Francis and Mobley must play yet another year without a full complement frontline. This really sucks. Losing a young, important starter always sucks. Anyone who doesn't think so must be chuckling at Mo's misfortune, because you don't like him as our starter.

18. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Why can't Griffin start? This is not baseball and Griffin is definetly not Ankiel. Give him the starting spot along with the minutes.

#18 bigboymumu, Sep 4, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2001
  19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If anyone watched the Rockets as much as I do Know that Kenny has a hard time getting his shot off over the tall 4's in the league. I want Eddie to play and start in the season.Joe Smith started, McDyess, and some of the other guys who wasn't physically ready. If Eddie can get us 12pts and 8reb, 2blks, that would constitute a very good rookie year in my opinion.As long as the rebs and blocks are there, then I can be happy for the Rockets.

20. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

way to shore up the heresy Manny. "he doubts the sun is the center of the solar system! he's not a rockets fan!!! off w/ his head!". Give me a break. I apologize for ever speaking an honest opinion that doesn't reak of skunk weed. I have opinions. Sometimes the Rockets make mistakes. Sometimes things fall apart. Not all is happy go lucky. Santa doesn't exist.

Sometimes it rains on your ass.

crispee, if I don't echo that the wuvfest is bs all of the time, we'll be left w/ Jordan, Dream and Drexler fantasies and TheFreak will come out in Mono.