1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Italy

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by the futants, Jun 30, 2010.

1. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I just returned from a 10-day trip to Italy. I'm in the wine business and was treated to staying at wineries (and their properties) almost the entire trip. The trip was confined to the northern regions (Piemonte, Toscana, Verona and Trentino-Alto Adige). Most of my meals were prepared by the mother/grandmother of wine-makers and restaurateurs. Holy. Crap. The amount of food these people eat -- and the extreme quality -- is unbelievable. I may never be able to eat cured pork in the US again. The style and precision with which they make and drink espresso still has my head spinning.

I really miss the bidet.

(Watching World Cup matches with the rabid fans there is unparalleled by anything I have experienced in the US.)

1 person likes this.
  2. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Congratulations. I hate you.

;)

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

very cool- a week ago we had a Piedmont themed wine tasting + dinner. we cheated a little on the dessert wine, but it was worth it. there were three couples, dinner was cured meats + antipasta from Salumeria Rossi to start, then steak, polenta, green market salad. the wines:

2009 Moscato d'Asti, Gianni Doglia

2006 Barbera del Monferrato, Cantine Valpane, Rosso Pietro

2005 Barbaresco, Rabajá Riserva

2004 Barolo, Fratelli Revello

2003 Albana di Romagna Passito, Leone Con, Nontiscordardime

the Albana may have been the best dessert wine i've ever tasted. richer, yet drier than a sauternes. like drinking a perfectly ripe fig.

4. the futants

KILLER! Piemonte was crazy! Every producer pulled out bottle after bottle from their personal cellars for us. Barolos from the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s...all paired perfectly with specific courses.
    As a wine importer/distributor I am "required" to drink wines from all over the world on a regular basis. This trip has ruined me. I have no idea what I'm going to do at our next California (or Oregon or Washington) tastings. I suppose I'll just sit there and smile and nod my head.
    The surprise (to me) of the entire trip was Alto Adige. I came away from that area completely blown away by the delicateness and superiority of their white wines. The German/Austrian influence also shows itself in their food (which was also spectacular). All signs, menus, etc are in Italian and German (including the names of the towns like "Caldaro-Kaltern" and "Bolzano-Bozen").

5. SlvrBtl

SlvrBtl Member

Italy is great. When I lived in London for a couple years, I went to Italy several times and each visit was great. That country is just beautiful, the food is great, and don't even talk to me about the women they are hot!

I'm don't even like Italian food, but when I went to Italy it was a whole different ball game, it made me a convert.

Now that I'm back in the States, I'm also back to being blah about Italian food, it's just not the same.

6. the futants

Oh, man...the WOMEN!

I will never be able to eat "Italian food" in the US again. Ruined...

7. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I lived in Milan for five months a few years ago...love Italy.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Hot dang. Nothing like experiencing a place local-style. I'm Jealous. :cool:

Have any pics of the trip?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dang, my wife and I just spent the weekend in Texas Wine country in Fredricksburgh, neither the wine nor the Spaghetti will compare I think.

But hey, we did get a beverage in Lueckenbach.

;)

DD

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

toscana? in the hills of northern italy?

thats where the olive garden gets their awesomely delicious 'house wine', principato!

11. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

The wife and I are heading to Sweden for about a month next month and while she doesn't know it yet, unless she reads this, I'd love to take a long weekend to Italy. We shall see.

12. Prince

Prince Member

Can you elaborate on this?

I dated one when I was in London and I couldn't stand watching her armpit covered with hair - loonger than my hair.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm bookmarking the thread. We love Italy, the food, the wine, the history, the amazing scenery, and this is just the kind of info you can be hardpressed to find from someone who's actually been there. Since we'll be returning (when the giant sucking sound of college expenses diminishes, somewhat), if you have any particular places to stay, villages that are can't miss, and so on, don't be shy. I think I'm going out of town to Houston today, the gulf storm allowing, of course (I know what heavy downpours do to Houston streets and am a bit worried), but I'll be checking back. Thanks for the info and thanks for quoting basso, so I could see his non-political post. ;)

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I was in Rome for two weeks and Milan for one week. I wasn't a fan of Rome but I did enjoy Milan, and I heard Tuscany is the best place to visit.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Where is this Fredricksburgh and Lueckenbach you speak of? Are they close to Fredericksburg, TX and Luckenbach, TX?

[/swoly :p :grin: :) :rolleyes: :cool: ]

16. the futants

I have plenty of recommendations for you. You can email me through the board.
    Cheers.

17. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are there any houses for rent in Tuscany?

18. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

This is so true. The two best vacations I've ever had were while visiting friends who were locals (Portugal and Brazil).

19. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Maybe you should've dated a woman not a man.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i highly recommend the 2003

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.