1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It sucks our Cs are rebounding aka Do we really miss Josh Smith that bad?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The_Yoyo, Jan 7, 2016.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Josh Smith on this current team would make it either marginally better or infinitely worse. And this is coming from someone who REALLY wanted him on the roster last season.

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

im not gonna read op but i saw something about reboudning needs and i'll say it again

dmo is a good rebounder FOR HIS POSITION. go to 82games.com and look at his position stats last season. nearly 90% was at center. it was his first season gettign heavy minutes while being inexperienced too. the numbers he put up were perfect considering his situation.

i dont think he'll be a great rebounder, but def good when he gets healthy and into game shape and rhythm. im in the minority that we dotn need a pf. we do need dmo to get healthy and back to form asap.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

capela is the most overrated big on this board right now. a straight up swap for a player like joffrey from the nuggets they'd improve their situation, ie a young player with the skills and size who is improving his game not still learning it after a few years in the pros.

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Every single person who cried about losing Josh Smith should get a big bib, pull up to the dinner table and eat crow.

That dude can't even get minutes with Blake Griffin out. He is DNP with Cole Aldrich getting his minutes. COLE. ALDRICH. Wait wait even better: Luc Richard Mbah a Moute is starting PF also getting J Smoove's minutes.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

theres a reason why he's playing under a minimum contract.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Despite the title - I didnt mean this to be "OMG I MISS JOSH SMITH SO SO MUCH" type thread I was just pointing out something Smith was able to do for the Rockets last season with is skill set that was not replaced which help contribute to the success of last season. This team went from more of a transition offense scoring team last season to one thats primarily half court - not being able to immediately push the ball off of a rebound is one of the reasons for that. The Rockets need someone like that again in the PF spot OR they need to get more rebounding from their wings and guards like they had last season. This was an ability I think was now overlooked from last season

At his price tag I would have taken Smith again in a heart beat. He is still leaps and bounds a better defender than Terrence Jones. And that difference is hurting the Rockets defense this year (along with a bunch of others of course). Smith is woeful in a half court offense but its not like the Rockets' half court offense is so amazing and Smith brings it down like a brick.

The Rockets need to get back to gang rebounding like last year because it helps their offense. After a slow first half last night against the Jazz they scored a lot in the second half primarily in transition/fast break offense. The mentality of "Let Dwight/Capela" grab the rebound is fine if this team was a potent half court offense, but its not. I am sure it'll drop Dwight's rebounding average - and really thats not a big deal for me and at this stage in Dwight's career i dont think it should matter to him. But this team is just better when everyone crashes the defensive boards (instead of the offensive boards which it seems they do which leads to poor transition defense)

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

I thought JB was the D genius on this coaching staff. Doubted it then and it's obvious now, there is nothing genius about JB.

9. PeppermintCandy

Maybe people who regularly attend games can confirm this but it feels like we're missing guys who can do what linebackers do in football defenses, which is read the opposing team's offensive schemes and relay them to teammates so that everyone gets on the same page.

I think this is the job of the main defensive big, but i can see josh smith having been a vocal part of this as well. And I am guessing this is a role that Capela or Jones would have a hard time filling.

Plus as others have said, we're sorely missing that big man who can throw the outlet pass to guys after the rebound to start the fast break. This has been extremely fatal to Brewer who basically lives to fast break.