1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It looks like the US is finally restoring diplomatic relations with Cuba...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by geeimsobored, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Are you just being selectively choosy? My original post said "almost universally." Of course I knew there would be opposition to this. To be truthful, I meant to say almost universally here in CF. That's why I asked if people here on CF were against this. But I didn't make that clear so that's just my bad.

Still, aside from the Obama-the-King-doing-what-he-wants angle, what is wrong about this move? Yes, Cuba was a brutal regime decades ago. And that explains the older vs newer generational ideology Major was referring to. But a step toward peace is, in my eyes, a good thing.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Makes Americans vulnerable

still is

we are at peace.......

3. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Ok, thanks for clearing things up.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Did they?

Obama received 65 million plus votes in 2012 - More than any individual Republican in History, and certianly more than the 40-50 million Republican ballots cast a few months ago.

The people have spoken. Obama is our leader. Democracy is a b****.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It doesn't look to me like the prisoner exchange was a big driver here. It's more like the holding of prisoners was an impediment to a deal we wanted to do, not a stick to use in negotiations. ISIS has beheaded a few American citizens now and Obama's not exactly giving them the shop to incent them to stop.

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Capitulation. Rubio calls Obama the "single worst negotiator in my lifetime."

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oQxYxuNlk24" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

really holds nothing back.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Didn't you hear? Obama sent Isis American trucks from Texas!

[​IMG]

8. REEKO_HTOWN

This will ruin him come election time.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you're saying they voted for Obama before they voted against him?

/Kerry'd

10. Major

Major Member

Too bad Rubio got his basic facts wrong.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

Hes saying that more voters turned out to vote for Romney than they did for this last congressional election and Romney still lost.

12. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

This is probably one of the best things Obama has done as President. He has my applause!

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah if only that was relevant to how our representative republic works. Obama is a lame duck, and he's a lame duck because the American public overwhelmingly voted against his party. Of course that won't stop the spinsters from trying to twist an obvious and crushing defeat as if it was really a win.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Yes.

If it is universally seen as a good thing, why did Obama wait till after the election to do it? Why didn't Congress do it when the Dems had control of both houses?

Offering rewards to dictators for hostages sets a terrible precedent. Obama put a price on every American's head. Every totalitarian regime knows they can get significant concessions from Obama if they capture Americans.

Also, as Rubio said, the Castros made zero democratic concessions here. No free speech, no free press, no elections, no right to protest the regime.

The only way the Castros do any deal is if it makes them more wealthy and powerful, and that's what this has done.

The Left adores the Cuban dictatorship (as you can see from the squeeing here), and this legitimizes it and the empowers the tyrant Castro bros.

#54 Commodore, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Sounds like we shouldn't be in any trade relationship with China and Vietnam. In fact, we should be embargoing them right now.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

Yeah Isis sure got some nice swag from Obama for killing Americans after holding them hostage. This bombs he dropped on them sure did cost a bunch.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

And so he's not a lame duck if American public overwhelming voted for his party? Dude, you are so anti-obama you forgot what lame duck means.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Only a select few people on the planet still think the Cuban dictatorship isn't legitimate. In reality it is no less legitimate than any other dictatorship that we don't embargo.

The embargo failed. It never toppled Castro, it only hurt the Cuban people. Cuba has normal relations with much of the world. We accomplished nothing.

Time to move on.

Open them up to the free market. If they had normal relationship with American the past 50 years, who knows where they'd be today.

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wait, have they not been in undisputed power since the 1950s or is there some shadow Cuban expatriate government with a rightful claim to power?

20. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Opening up relations with the Cubans doesn't mean we're friends with them anymore than it means we're friends with the Chinese and Russians, and Cuba is just as bad as those countries, if not worse through certain avenues. Still, we stand a better chance of crushing their dictatorship under the banner of free trade compared to what we thought of China.