1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It looka like a bomb

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 15, 2015.

1. what

what Member

It's not about weather THIS was a bomb or not. If you are a teacher and a kid brings this to school, you have an obligation to make sure others know about it, just to make sure that this kid was in his right mind and that this first incident didn't lead to another incident.

Sorta like if a kid says he is going to commit suicide and then says oh well I was only joking.

What if this teacher had let it go and two months from now he had brought a bomb to school. That teacher would have been fired or worse dead and if she wasn't dead she'd have the guilty conscious that perhaps if she had said something she could have prevented it.

you don't do **** like this period.

2. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

So what your saying is, teachers have an obligation to racially profile students. Thanks for throwing that out there.

This wasn't a kid trying to "test" the system by creating a clock and then bringing a bomb two months from now. There are no indications he is part of a sleeper terrorist cell.

Of course a few more years of **** like this, and maybe he will be :rolleyes:

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People make digital clocks all the time using Andrino chips and circuit boards. If he were white would anyone freak out?

This thing is stupid. It was a clock. If I bring a large black duffle bag super heavy and stuffed on the NYC subway right past the cops on the table at the bag search, they don't even bother to stop me. Why?

A clock shouldn't be considered suspicious. A bomb is not a small device.

4. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Because an alarm was going off and the teacher specifically asked to see what was making the noise.

Perhaps you should read the article before making such asinine comments.

5. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I doubt it even entered the kid's mind that it would be mistaken for a bomb.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

1. I agree it's not about weather.
    2. Teachers don't have an obligation to tell others if a student brings a clock
    3. Bringing a clock to school isn't an "incident"
    4. The kid never joked that his clock was a bomb
    5. If the teacher had let this go, all would be well now.

1 person likes this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yea, he's probably a passionate, very creative kid that is a bit naive. Great to see that type of passion in kids. I think it's crazy that some would suggest a smack down. Are we getting so paranoid that we prefer to put kids into a box the size of our manufactured fears?

1 person likes this.
  8. what

what Member

I'll tell you what, go to a bank and start flashing around a super soaker gun and see how far that gets ya.

Do you think if the device he made was a mechanical arm, instead of this homemade clock, the teacher woulda reported him? Can you see the difference?

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This pretty much sums it all up.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Ugh. I just hate it when stuff gets BLOWN out of proportion. :eek:

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The difference should be none. True a mechanical arm is potentially more devious and dangerous than a clock, but neither are harmful, wrong, or need to be made into an incident.

Making a clock isn't a bad thing, and shouldn't be construed as such.

What is bad is that an impressional youth getting the idea that for trying to do something creative and innovative he's put in handcuffs. He already feels like an outsider, and now these people have showed him one of the wrong ways authority in this nation can treat outsiders.

That's too bad.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Ir...-Accused-of-Making-a-Hoax-Bomb-327794401.html

My guess is that the kid was less forthcoming because he was just pulled out of school by cops in handcuffs and not allowed to even call his dad. But he did tell them it was a clock and never said otherwise. They just kept asking him for a "broader explanation":

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/comm...ted-after-taking-homemade-clock-to-school.ece

13. malakas

malakas Member

Yes because the logical next step after making a clock is making a bomb.

It's called innocence. Like many 14 year olds are. Who don't think of violence or terrorism but making clocks.

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If they truly thought it was a bomb, shouldn't they have evacuated the school? What a bunch of idiots. It's clear why he was detained and suspended from school.

I wish people would just be forthright and say "Yeah, I made a mistake and overreacted because of his Muslim name and appearance. But, I want to learn how to not do that. How can I make this better and learn to not do it again?" instead of pretending that this was all an unfortunate coincidence and that they would've reacted the same way to a kid named Jacob.

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Get your facts straight: The kid had it in his backpack when the clock chimed during his English class (that's what clocks do by the way...). The so-called "teacher" asked what it was and he showed it to her and explained that it was a clock. Being from Texas, she obviously did not know the difference between a clock and a bomb so she reported to someone even more stupid (the principal) who called the Irving police who also had never seen a homemade clock before. The Irving PD officers kept trying to get the kid to admit that he was trying to build a bomb and when he didn't, they cuffed him, hauled him off to a juvenile detention center and fingerprinted him.

Here's where your "blame the victim" rationalization falls flat: IT DIDN'T LOOK LIKE A ****ING BOMB! Look at the pictures - it was a bunch of circuit boards wired together with a battery and a digital clock face. NO EXPLOSIVES WHATSOEVER! Last time I looked in order for a clock to be a bomb it had to have an explosive payload but of course the good white morons at Irving ISD overlooked this small detail. Those dumbass fools looked at his skin color and last name and judged him to be a terrorist. What really pisses me off is that that stupid b*stard of a principal and the Irving PD are trying to justify hauling off one of their brighter students in handcuffs. I hope that family sues those arrogant fools for a million dollars because that's the only language bigots like them can understand. And folks wonder why our educational system is the way it is...

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Irving is most indian folks now days. Teacher should have known better. She must be fired.

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Who knew we were in mortal danger every day as kids?

18. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

what does that suppose to mean?

19. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

Here's a white kid being stereotyped as mass shooter.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/16/school-ousts-special-needs-boy-after-incident-with-paper-toy-gun/

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wonder what he learned from his experience?
    What will he take from this . . . for the rest of his life?

I would definitely not let my kid go back to this school .. . . at all.
    Every slight . .Every word that he brushed off as just .. every instance he ever had with this teach or principal is not in a new light. New Realization. New Eyes see Old Things differently.

What Does he take from this . . .what does he learn . . . what does he incorporate into his world view?
    How does he view his 'teachers' going forward?

Questions Questions Questions.

Rocket River