1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It hurts, but the future is..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freddyg956, May 3, 2014.

1. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

Bright.
    We have a good foundation with Howard Harden Bev Parsons and Jones.
    This is the first year they play together, and to be honest it takes teams a while before they really start rolling and going deep into the playoffs. It took OKC a while before they advanced, S.A. core has been together for ages, which is why they are so good(and Pop). But the future is bright guys, we can't be down with this loss, as much as it hurts. I think though we need a guy like Tony Allen, or Wes Matthews that we can put on the other teams best player.
    There will be changes and we can only get better. Bye to Cass,Hamilton,Garcia and all these other bench guys.
    We have a great up and coming guy in Troy Daniels.

2. Play07

Play07 Member

this is the thing, people want a lock down wing but they still want to keep parsons, if parsons stays he will play 38min and him and harden will be on court together most of the game anyway.

This is why parsons needed to step up and be that defense guy, (but he couldn't) so it's time to move on from him, we need someone who takes pride in playing D on the wing that can start

3. trugoy

trugoy Member

Dwight i

Dwight is declining, he is no longer playing defense at a DPOY level, in particular his pnr defense is significantly worse that it was, Asik is much better defender of the pnr at this point in time.

Age and back injuries has caught up to him, he will only get slower as the years go by.

I'd say we have probably 2 more years of contention left before dwight is not good enough to anchor the team.

4. kastuul

kastuul Member

HOU should trust more their veterans.

Last season, they lost 4-2 to OKC with Gracia and Delfino.

The Aaron Brooks trade was so dumb.

5. kastuul

kastuul Member

Harden can't be leader if his D keep playing like that.

He may be the next Carmelo. MVP in reg. season, lazy D, and always first round exit.

I can't believe some fans want to bring Carmelo to HOU.

6. bmd

bmd Member

Or Parsons can come off the bench.

If he's playing less minutes coming off the bench, he can play harder on D like we know he is capable of, and he's still a scoring threat.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

As much as I'd like to agree, I'm not sure I can. Yeah the Rockets will be real good, but until the coach is changed (he's staying), the point guard play improves (not likely), and until the Rockets wings play any sort of defense (not likely), it's hard to see this team dramatically improving. Morey's got some work to do.

8. bmd

bmd Member

But let's be honest... the Rockets weren't even close to winning that series. And Westbrook was injured.

Rockets went down 3-0 and Westbrook got hurt.

Then the Rockets win two games while OKC tries to figure out how to play without Westbrook, and then the Thunder close out the series 4-2.

It was never in doubt.

If Westbrook wasn't injured, it would have probably been a sweep.

9. bmd

bmd Member

So you think the roster is just going to stay as-is going into next season?

I don't think so.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I guess we'll see. I don't see a huge move happening, but I'd love to be wrong. Definitely excited to see what Morey does, no doubt.

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

We don't have as much time as we want. Dwight only has 2-3 years of competitive basketball in him.

So we will be adjusting again with a new coach. But the heck that's better than the alternative of keeping McHale where you know exactly what you will get.

12. thiefery

thiefery Member

Gonna be tough decisions made by the front office. First they need to figure out if McHale is the person to get the job done with this team.

Also is Parsons going to get that payday he's been expecting all along or will they flip him in a trade for someone else.

After a nightmare ending to the game early this morning, Rockets are in a great position to attract attention for players to come in.

13. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Youngest team in the playoffs, surprisingly. Only one direction to go for us.

14. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

We don't know for sure that Mchale is staying. The pg play is good, but inconsistent(Lin). Bev. does what he does, he's a solid starter and with a full year as a starter will only improve. The wing defense, well that's why I stated we need a Tony Allen. I'm sure Morey will make those improvements we need.

15. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Member

This thread is full of stupid. Howard only has 2 years left in him? Get rid of Parsons?

16. Gumblin

Gumblin Member

Call my crazy but I think part of the problem IS Morey and his live by the 3 and die by the 3 approach. How many teams go deep in the playoffs like that? It's why we have so many collapses in the second half.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Future is really bright. We were the youngest team in the playoffs, and IIRC we own all our future first round picks and we are going to have roughly $17m cap space in 2015 and we have a great trade chip in the form of Omer Asik.

18. nolimitation

nolimitation Member

Mchale did a fantastic job coaching this series. Like the op said, give him and this roster another year together and things can improve. Yes there definitely a need for roster changes during the summer. Morey should be motivated to move certain players during the next few months before the season starts.

19. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

We weren't a good 3pt shooting team at all. So we didn't have the personnel to run Morey's offense.

Also we can should run that offense using ball movement, pnr and screens. It was the way we ran it when Gogi was here. Just a ton of pnrs over and over on one play until someone got open. None of this everybody can ISO stuff.

Most importantly, it shouldn't be the only way we play. We've been begging for playcalls since last year. Up to now we still don't do it as often as we should. We should have eliminated POR already if only we had some plays to run at the end of games.

20. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

There's a reason why Dwight only signed a 3yr contract with us, with a 4th year as player option.

If he still hasn't won a championship by then, he will try to leave for greener pastures.

Year #1 -- 1st round exit

So you sense the urgency now?