1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Israel Launches Ground Invasion of Gaza

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jul 17, 2014.

1. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

You are quite the character. The world is passing you by friend.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So you think Hamas would not make use of it if they had superior weapons compared to the Israelis? You think they only shoot 1,000 rockets because they want them to do as little harm as possible? Get real. It's in their charter. They want to destroy Israel. The only way to contain that is to make sure they don't get better weapons. Simple as that.

3. houstonhoya

Set aside the fact that multiple high ranking Hamas officials have since recognized Israel as a state.

Let's look at why Hamas placed those words in its charter over two decades ago.

Why do you think they sought the destruction of Israel?

And please don't give me the usual shtick regarding anti-semitism where Hamas is supposedly the successor of the Nazi party.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

They haven't changed the charter. You didn't answer my question.

5. houstonhoya

I think they should so their words and actions will be given more credence and so I wouldn't have to waste my time answering you. Now answer mine.

6. houstonhoya

They don't have those weapons. They don't have a true government or public utilities much less nuclear weapons or drones. If they could overthrow the occupation by force, yeah they definitely would. NO ONE would live under occupation willingly.

Either way, your hypothetical is silly.

7. houstonhoya

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, it isn't. They are spending all their money on rockets, while their people starve. That is how much hate they have in them. And that is backed by a large part of the indoctrinated population. It even shines through your posts here.

9. houstonhoya

Do you even know how many 'terrorist' groups operate in Gaza today?

I hate oppression and apartheid yeah...

You keep talking about 'they' and Hamas but you know very little. Plus, what you do know you learned from Abe Foxeman lol

10. trustme

trustme Member

I don't know why you pro Israeli zionists don't understand that Hamas didn't launch rockets until after Israel decided to bomb Gaza because they claimed that Hamas allegedly killed three Israeli teens. Such propaganda machines on this board.

11. houstonhoya

It is unfortunate that facts don't matter to ideologues.

12. trustme

trustme Member

13. houstonhoya

I am learning. Honestly, this is why I have stayed away from D&D for so long. But it is kind of therapeutic, it helps to call out the lies and misinformation while sharing truth with an online community I care about and respect.

14. houstonhoya

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Never heard of him.

16. houstonhoya

Patron saint of the hasbarists? Oh you'd love him.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Do you seriously think the world would allow either side to commit wholesale genocide?

Rocket River

18. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

l

Abbas has affirmed ius committment to Arafat's clause changes the PLO charter as per Wye River.

There are still some that argue that the changes aren't "real" but it's hardly nothing.

Amended or not, it's a far cry from Hamas' charter, which pretty much reiterates every anti-semetic cliche, names not just Israel, but Jews and Judaism as the enemy, and goes on a rambling tirade about Freemasons, and the Rotary and Lions clubs as part of a secret plot to control the world (besides claiming the Protocols of the Elders of Zion as a primary source and blaming Jews for both world wars, among other things).

It's agenda isn't to create a Palestinian homeland, it's to liberate the entire area "for Islam" which it makes clear is inclusive of all the territory of the former Mandate. Not much to debate about it -- it's there for anyone to read.

That makes it hard for anyone to defend, and there aren't many outside the hard-core Salafist bloc that do. But in recent years, they've often said things to indicate their intractable position is negotiable.

While it's fair to question how serious their desire for peace and a reasonable reconciliation is, my main problem with Bibi in regards to Hamas is that when Hamas shows a willingness to take a back seat to form a unity government with Abbas and let him negotiate with Israel (and presumably accept the outcome), we have never been able to learn if they are for real, because he always responds (as he did right before this war started) with a blanket declaration that he has no partner in peace, which I think is a disingenuous stall tactic to preserve the status quo.

Israel and Palestinian leaders have a long history of talking tough in public and negotiating terms in private -- there certainly are many instances of it in the past, where they have come very close to a resolution. All parties involved have a bit of a Michael Collins dilemma which I think might account for the disparity: Sign a treaty, start an internal war of pro and anti treaty and end up killed for "betrayal."

If you are Bibi Netanyahu or Khalad Mashal, the same tough guy image that gives you enough political capital to be respected by hardliners is the same politcal capital that can make an agreement -- but by it's nature it can disappear in an instant if you actually try to use it.

19. houstonhoya

Too bad ATW has shown an unwillingness to understand nuance

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What nuance? You keep asking WHY Hamas is firing the rockets, as if they were just "reacting" to something. There is no excuse or justification for what they are doing, yet, you talk as if there was one. You are indoctrinated, which is somewhat explainable, given you are from there, and even small children get force fed the "Israel and Jews are the root of evil" kool-aid.