1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ISOLATION SCORING, Statistical analysis of LIN vs HARDEN and the top 50 scorers ISO rankings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Voice of Aus, Dec 15, 2013.

1. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Great reasoning. I guess Lin is much worse than his stats indicate. This is the don't believe what you see argument. Just listen to my yoice of reason that explains what we see and and evidence of is wrong. Thank you for setting GARM straight on this issue.

2. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Totally agree. Our coaching staff makes very poor decisions at times/ I like Sampson very much. However, when he put Harden in with a painful and yet undiagnosed ankle injury it is beyond reason. Why risk your best players health to try and save one game. This is just one example. Your examples are excellent.

3. bws

bws Member

He's played the same as a starter, has starter's minutes and started about 40 percent of the games this year due to injuries to Bev and Harden. He worded hard and has better efficiency, there's nothing to really support him playing better off the bench vs. starting.

4. gene18

gene18 Rookie

The only sample we have is when he was in NY. His usage rate was much higher and he was quite productive. The sample size is close to 30, higher than in this study. (I know it was a fluke, flash in the pan).

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Lin's stats (starting averages vs bench averages)

FG% .480% vs .504

3PT% .278 vs .413

FT% .848 vs .800

Ast/TO 1.41/1 vs 1.53/1

Not a canyon-sized difference, but these stats do show Lin is does better off the bench. There's no shame, most players will do better against lesser competition.

6. rokit

rokit Member

check your ish again bruh, there's no way he's shooting 27% from 3pt land as a starter

7. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/splits/_/id/4299/jeremy-lin

playing better as a starter vs bench this year (probably due to the last couple of games skewing his bench stats downward).

8. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Used the stretch where Beverley and Harden missed 3 consecutive games each (6 total), but Lin did start 2 more games. That's where the discrepancy came. Anyways, Lin is still a better fit for the team off the bench. All you LOFs can go cry to your mommies about it.

9. lfw

lfw Rookie

Your data looks all wrong. Where did you get this from?

ESPN has it like this:

Code:
    By Position	GP	MIN	FGM-FGA	FG%	3PM-3PA	3P%	FTM-FTA	FT%	OR	DR	REB	AST	BLK	STL	PF	TO	PTS
    As Starter	8	30.6	4.8-9.6	.494	1.9-4.4	.429	4.5-5.4	.837	0.3	2.9	3.1	5.0	0.3	1.4	2.8	3.5	15.9
    Off Bench	10	27.3	4.3-8.6	.500	0.9-2.9	.310	3.6-4.7	.766	0.1	1.8	1.9	3.6	0.6	1.0	2.0	2.3	13.1

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Pimpn IMO dude should be starting. Bev was our high energy guy coming off the bench last season. Why the change this season, I still dont know. But oh well McHale knows best so it really doesnt matter what we think. And please dont put me in that category of LOF's because I've been a Rockets Fan since the 80's.

11. Houstunna

Supporting Member

The fact Beverley came in mid-season could be a reason there wasn't a lineup change. McHale was still learning the team as well. I'm good with Lin starting or not, just think he's a better fit off the bench. Also, I respect the fact he gives consistent effort on defense (unlike a certain bearded one).

I remember you from Texans4life, so wasn't referring to you with the LOF comment.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I don't agree.

As far as complimentary pieces go you will not be able to replace what Parsons brings easily, if at all.

Morey has an opportunity to add one more piece via free agency next summer and then resign Parsons/Beverley using their bird rights. Having that option, I highly doubt he would offer Parsons in any (other than Lebron/Durant) because he has the flexibility to have both.

13. rajon

rajon Member

This is one of the many reasons I was excited about the Harden-Lin backcourt to begin with. Look at this tweet from the 2011-2012 season before either was a rocket.
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Of 73 players w/ 90+ isolation plays last season, only Chris Paul &amp; James Harden averaged more points per isolation play than Jeremy Lin.</p>&mdash; ESPN Stats &amp; Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/statuses/221047542153097216">July 6, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

With a sample size of at least 90 plays, they were both top 3.

14. bws

bws Member

very interesting. Before either was a Rocket.

15. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Your so adamant that FG% stats are useful. Smh

16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

There are 3 OTHER (important) stats in that same post and you pick FG% to talk noise. smh

You can't even man up and admit FG% ISN'T useless. No surprise.

17. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Why not just use eFG which is a summary of you post instead of listing them out individually.

18. torocan

torocan Member

Off the top of my head...

1) Sample size
    2) Part of that was without Harden in the line up, which made Lin the primary focus of defenses
    3) Part of that was without Beverley available, meaning the Lin/Bev line up was unavailable
    4) 3pt shooting is notoriously volatile.
    5) .020 difference in FG% is well within normal deviation. It would fall well within the margin of error even at a confidence level of 80%.

Did I mention sample size?

Insufficient data to be conclusive either way.

19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Since you wanna continue to be difficult, the correct term is you're.

20. Houstunna

Supporting Member

The fact Harden/Beverley weren't playing was the entire basis of my post, as Lin only started when one of them were injured. If you'd focused more on context instead of trying to argue, you clearly would've seen that. But hey, don't fight the feeling.