1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ISO Offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by acruz2, Nov 9, 2018.

1. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I’d be curious about our pace increase relative to the rest of the League. But it might be a red herring.

The poor shooting may be the whole deal in a nutshell. Honestly, that might be best. Regression would seem to be in our favor, if so.

I’d also wonder if the faster pace might impact/correlate to our shooting. Pace = rhythm, rhythm = shooting.

Again...naked eye...But our shots very rarely look in rhythm to me.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Bottom 5 and yeah the pace has picked up for over half the league at this point

26 Houston Rockets 10 4 6 480.0 104.2 109.9 -5.7 56.1 1.42 15.5 27.2 70.8 47.4 14.8 49.8 52.8 98.90 43.9
    27 Brooklyn Nets 11 5 6 533.0 109.9 108.6 1.2 60.1 1.61 17.7 29.5 68.4 49.0 15.3 53.2 55.7 98.84 49.9
    28 Denver Nuggets 11 9 2 533.0 109.8 101.6 8.3 60.4 1.70 17.5 33.2 76.6 54.4 14.6 50.9 54.7 98.75 54.7
    29 Indiana Pacers 12 7 5 576.0 109.0 105.2 3.8 54.0 1.63 16.9 27.5 71.9 50.0 14.1 53.3 55.8 96.92 51.9
    30 Memphis Grizzlies 10 6 4 480.0 106.3 104.9 1.4 65.4 1.75 17.9 23.6 71.4 46.9 13.9 51.1 55.6 96.00 51.0

3. HP3

HP3 Member

Denver is last in pace???? How's that possible loool, their offense is like one of the best in the league too.

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I just looked at the current numbers and our pace has come down over the last 4 or so games.

Last year our pace was 98.10 and so far this year it's 98.9.

The difference is that the rest of the league is playing much faster.

Last season NOP had the fastest pace at 101.60, this year it's ATL at 107.82

Last year there were 5 teams that had a pace of 100 or more. This year there are 21.

Last year we ranked 14th at 98.10, this year we rank 26th at 98.9.

5. aelliott

ISO is one of the few things that we've done well this year. If our overall offense performed the same as we have in isolation this year then we'd have the #6 offense in the league.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

I think asking for a slightly faster pace is possible, but really Paul nor Harden have ever liked playing in a fast pace.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Even if the Rockets played faster, if they aren't making shots, then what does it matter? In fact, they turnover the ball more when they play faster. Chris Paul is average over 3 TOs this year. He is much better when he is playing at a slower pace, so is Harden. I feel we are a worse team if we play faster because it leads to turnovers and our transition D is horrible.

YOLO and HP3 like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

we’ve had some horrific offensive possessions this year...some of the shots we end up taking are laughably bad

sometimes the lack of off-ball movement is jarring

guys also aren’t hitting shots

9. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Lot of PnRs with half-assed picks being set -- enough to give you Dwightmares.

10. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

That’s very consistent with what I’d have expected, based on the eye test.

The question is: how much does the relative pace hurt us with re: to the new rules.

I’m guessing it does a lot.

Slow-playing and crap-shooting is no way to go through life, Junior.

BigShasta likes this.
  11. bmelo

bmelo Member

We went from under 7s rule pringels preached to some iso bull forced by our players leader. While it worked it worked but now lets get back to basketball

12. rockets13champs

Crazy. It honestly feels like that when I look at the depth chart. The fact is when we look at Ryno he looked playable along with nene and Luc. U look at the guys who replaced them, MCW, Chriss, Knight, Clark. We didn’t replace them with proven talent. Clark is great don’t get me wrong. But we’ve all rather have a veteran

13. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

It’s generally not bad to add variety to your offense, even if something works, and especially from season to season. If just one team was able to defend you decently well, every other team is going to take something from that and try to copy it, so every season, you generally need to adjust a bit.

Stylistically, I don’t love straight up iso offense, even when it is winning. I don’t love a guy standing around a lot just dribbling. I don’t dislike isolation, but I prefer when they are set up through some off ball movement and maybe not done right out of the gate.

With Paul I actually think he needs to attack off the pick and roll more and look for his mid-range shots. Too many times he has a very passive pick and roll attack because he’s just trying to force a switch and then he pulls the ball back and then wastes time dribbling around. It seems like a lot of energy expended when he doesn’t have to, but that’s just me, and will it work? Yes, when his shot starts falling, it will work more, but it still doesn’t appeal to me.

In the end, the Rockets just have to be effective. Milwaukee is actually running a similar system in terms of shot selection, they lead the league in 3PA, but getting their shots in a less deliberate way and with more pace, but they also have better shooting all around.

bmelo likes this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Pace is two-way. The pace of both sides of a game is the same. If your opponent is playing at a high pace, you have a high pace too. So if the Rockets' raw pace number remains the same while the rest of the league has increased significantly, that actually means that they are playing at a lower pace relative to what they did last season.

15. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Yeah I’m done with iso ball. Somebody call Rick Aldeman.

bmelo likes this.
  16. bmelo

bmelo Member

I just think its Harden ball much more than ISO ball. He forces it. Pringels was preaching something else and then just shut up when we were winning anyway. He recently said he is not a fan of iso too

17. riko

riko Member

Untill Paul gets healthy he needs to stop with the ISO bricks. Honestly even Gordon looks better in ISO plays

ThunderStruck likes this.
  18. aelliott

Pace is literally possessions per game.

The league average has gone up but our pace is about the same. Our league ranking has gone from middle of the pack to the bottom.

So, relative to the rest of the league it is slower.

Is that what you are saying?

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pringles seems to go into puppet mode when he has a couple of superstars not willing to play his way.

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That's because at the end of the day you play to your players strength. He tried implementing his offense in New York with Melo and in LA with Kobe, but it just didn't work because those players don't play that kind of system. It's the reality of what you have to work with as a coach. Ultimately, he clashed with his stars which led to not being successful. This time around, rather than being stubborn, he has adapted to his players strengths.

Regardless of what you guys say, under Dantoni there has been more structure in the offense and there are designed plays to make things work as well. It isn't the BS offense of McHale that he had no damn plays to go to. Ultimately, the system is working, I see it, shots are just not falling.

@aelliott posted some stats that show how miserable we are shooting and numbers are just down across the board. In just the OKC game, there were several times that we had wide open shots and players just didn't make them. There were several times Harden and Chris drove to the basket only to miss and not finish at the rim.

Considering the personnel we have on this team, you are going to have a very hard time changing the offense when you don't have the players that can run a free flowing offense. That's just not how Chris Paul nor James Harden operate. Mike may not like iso, but his two seasons as a coach he has won 130 games, plus advanced the first round twice (almost made it to the finals last year). Success is there. This year, wins aren't there because of our shooting slump. I'm confident we can get back to winning, and we will make the playoffs, only problem is we are falling in the standings and considering that our defense isnt as good, we will struggle to put long winning streaks together like we did last year to truly establish ourselves as elite.

HP3 likes this.