1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isn't the wrong Texan getting all the credit for this?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketfat, Jul 24, 2007.

1. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2946722

jason simmon's name is mentioned like 3 times in the article, when the whole thing was his idea, and he's the one paying for the house. all green is essentially doing is paying to get a jersey #.

oh well. gotta love the media. the bigger name is all that matters.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Way to find any possible negativity in what is a great story.

3. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

it is a great story...pretty sure that was never really in question. just strange to me that it was completely simmons' doing, and they are making green out to be the do-gooder in the article.

4. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Simmons had the idea to exchange numbers only if Green were to donate money to a single parent for a down payment on a house. According to the article, the minimum down payment amount that must be used for a house is $1,500. Green donated $25,000.

Also, there was an evaluation of people in need from which the winner was chosen out of 5 finalists. While the article does not state who did this leg work or how the winner was chosen, there are a lot more do-gooders in this story than just the person with the idea.

If you are concerned about praise being delegated appropriately, what about Bob? McNair matched the $25k contribution as well, and he was only mentioned once.

5. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I liked the idea when i first heard of it and they didn't even mention my name once! :mad:

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

They took applications, and narrowed it down to 5, which Green and Simmons personally selected from who they thought could use the money the most.

7. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

did anybody see ahman green on the astros as a comentator??? man it was pretty awkward, i mean the chemistry bt jd and brownie and ahman wasnt exactly cohesive. first ahman interviewed the caballitos. man it was the same old

AHMAN: how cool you guys do this for this guy! he was a free agent and so was i so are you gonna do this for me at reliant?
    CABALLITO: uh yeah brother maybe uh um sure yeah i know some guys i dont know well see
    AHMAN: Ok well thanks anyways

then he was in the booth with brownie and jd and just talked the whole time about his charitable donation, but he didnt break for anything throughout the whole bottom half of the inning. i mean he spoke over all the plays as the outs happened and i know brownie was crawling out his skin to just say "pop out to end the inning." but ahman was just babbling.

i dont think broadcast is in his future