1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isn't it nice having multiple playmakers?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pr0wler, Dec 31, 2020.

1. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

I was all for the James Harden show last year, 39 PPG on 64 TS% for the first few months of the year...

...until they started double teaming him. It was basically game over from that point on.

Sure, Russ got his inflated 30 PPG on decent efficiency. But even attacking 4 on 3 situations, Russ attacking vs retreated defense and 3 Rockets players standing around the 3-point line wasn't nearly as effective as the best 1 on 1 player of all-time iso'ing the other team to death. This year is different.

We have WAY more playmakers on the floor now. Our center rotation has gone from one dimensional centers (and then PJ Tucker) to Wood and Boogie. Both of these guys can attack mismatches and punish teammates if given an advantage. John Wall is more effective than Russ when left wide open, by the sheer fact that he can actually hit an open shot. Even Tate can attack closeouts just fine and create for teammates when attacking advantage situations. No more House, Tucker, Covington, and McLemore all on the court together like deer in a headlights when they catch the ball and actually have to dribble.

Our offense is much more balanced now. Teams can't just send two guys to Harden every time. We have Harden playing off-ball a bit, with some DHO (dribble hand offs). Wall is a better and more willing passer than Russ so he can find James open now. In a nutshell, our offense is more varied, diverse, and balanced and I feel like we have possibly found a great counter to the annoying double team Harden shtick. I hope this balanced attack continues going forward.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I like that James can still get 40

and 3 other guys can get 20 any night

and 2 more can get an occasional 20

3. TimDuncanDonaut

4. jacoby

jacoby Member

We just have smarter players on the court this year. The passing and offensive involvement from every player on the court so far has been impressive. If the team can hit 3's consistently they'll be tough to beat.

waytookrzy079, D-rock and pr0wler like this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

:cool:

6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I rather have 4 20+ scorers like tonight than one 35+ With role playing scoring

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This. Its not about being anti-Harden. A team can't expect a single player to carry the team night in and night out. That is why stating 44 pt Harden just raised his value is ignorant. It doesnt matter if Harden needs to trust his teammates or if the team needs to get Harden help. Regardless, a team can't go into a match with the opposition knowing exactly what to expect. It might work in the regular season but its a sure fire way to be 2nd round play off fodder.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I said this once we had our roster locked in.

We have 5 guys that can get you 20, that's big. I know people are so quick to trade EGO but if it ain't for a key rotation guy I don't want to do it.

We just really have to work on the defense, even average defense makes this team elite.

9. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Don’t need playmakers. We need defenders.

Drogba, D-rock and pr0wler like this.
  10. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

My eyes got watery when they threw the ball down to Cousins for post up

11. HardenVolumeOne

the power of SILAS

12. Rockets4Life13

I remember at some time during this game i was looking around the court and i was like " yeah, that guy can take 2 dribbles and blow by his defender", just for him to pass it to another guy where i thought the same. This is easily the most skilled team the rockets had in years. For me, this is all about building chemistry, defense and most importantly health.
    There's not many anti-ballers who aren't capable of even pulling off one dribble left. Even guys like sterling brown and Tate can dribble a bit.
    Just look at the big guys - they're playing basketball, not hot potato (unless in front of the rim) like capela always did.

13. fattz

fattz Member

Thank you Mr. Stone for a team full entertainment every time we play someone or something new can and/or will happen.

Jayzers_100, Theking, Sep11ie and 3 others like this.
  14. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Clyde Drexler approves of this message.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

I can agree with this.

But this defense needs so much more work.

A system improvement is not enough, Rockets need a longer player than 6'6 next to Wood that can defend 1-5.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Diversification!

DD

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

We need both.

And both should be 6'6 or taller that can be secondary ballhandler as well as defend 1-5.

This addition is critical.

The sooner the better.

saleem, HP3 and fattz like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets are +7 with Harden on court (no wall).

Rockets are -5 with Wall on court (no Harden).

+1 with both Harden and Wall.

It is hilarious that CF is saying Rockets are better off with Harden being less ball dominant or even not on team.

LOL

Harden is the BEST playmaker.

Harden is the BEST scorer.

Harden is the MOST disruptive starter on defense.

Harden is FAR from the problem.

The problem is the DEFENSE.

19. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Seeing Wall play his first real NBA game after 735 days, I was expecting something on him in the first few threads, and surprised to see nothing on the first page dedicated to him. The guy may never be what he once was, but I am always curious to see how players come back from Achilles related injuries. The guy deserves some credit, he wanted to keep the game ball for himself since this was a big game for him personally, but he decided to give it to Silas since it is his first win as a HC, that says something about who he is. The fact that he may be a better fit than Russ is a huge bonus. Also, currently Russ is crying on the bench after going 0-4, hopefully James sees that the grass isn't always greener.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

What a limited myopic point of view.

we know harden ball is effective in the regular season. We also know that in the playoffs it’s needed that we have a team of multiple playmakers.

dmoneybangbang likes this.