1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isn't it nice having a real deal 3 and D wing again?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaselineFade, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

He is certainly a better team defender than a one on one defender. I think mediocre is too harsh. He is an above average man defender but elite as a team defender.

lilbird20, Deuce, pr0wler and 3 others like this.
  2. Sen89

Sen89 Member

The underrated part of adding Covington is that it likely makes House that much better (on both ends), with less responsibility on D. I would say Tucker too, but he has to move to the 5 full-time, so that challenge cancels out the fact he doesn't have to chase around the LeBron types anymore. You could even extend it to EG too, who often has to guard quality 3s.

3. Nook

Nook Member

It is debatable but I believe Covington is better.

lilbird20, Lawlruschang and D-rock like this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Wish we had two.

Shame we couldn't get Ariza back.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

6. HP3

HP3 Member

He feels like the reverse of Luc, above average team defender, but absolutely elite as a one on one defender.

7. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

Agreed, I want one more in the 3 and D class of Tucker and Covington. It’s our biggest need under this system IMO. I’m hoping we can get one next offseason with our MLE or 1st rd pick. I wish Ariza was a free agent.

Lawlruschang, D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Awesome. Rockets need one more 3/4 position player like a Markieff Morris type
    to bridge the gap from SF to Center.

Harkless would work well enough.

BaselineFade, Nook and D-rock like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Need to move House to bench and bring in Justin "Bubba" Anderson!!

Killer B's baybeeeeeed!!!

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Still have a chance if Harkless bought out.

Bolden would have been a great young Covington type player. Hopefully Suns do not renew his 10 day.

Got my fingers crossed we get another opportunity to sign him.

11. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Covington gets two blocks on sorry ashe kemba walker and now he can play defense! Wtf!?!?

I'm sure the average street ball player can block kemba walker after four quarters of wear and tear.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It kind of pisses me off we didn't just keep Ariza, use our the MLE for 18-19 season, not sign bums Melo/MCW, and then use Chriss/Knight's contracts plus like 2-3 1st for the best upgrade we could have got.

But instead, we just through 20 hoops, trade our 7 1st for to swap CP3, Capela and Ariza for WB and Covington.

lilbird20, HP3 and ilias like this.
  13. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

You my friend are way off base with your thinking.

Only thing is you are correct in calling Covington under-rated. The entire rockets organization is under-rated except Westbrook.

Westbrook gives the organization legitimate standing only because Westbrook is signed by Jordan brand.

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

It's just great to have multiple defenders with disruptive hands again. Ariza wasn't just a good on-ball defender, his length and good hands let him get in the passing lanes as well. Covington and Tucker do that for us again, and Covington does a great job blocking shots to boot. Honestly, I just wish we could get another one of these guys.

15. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

What is Luc up to these days?

BaselineFade and daywalker02 like this.
  16. ballgame

ballgame Member

I think we have everything we need. Although I would to see Harkless, I think many of you are discounting what Bruno can bring. Would he be given the playing time to make mistakes along the way is another question but I think he brings what we are lacking.

BaselineFade likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Justin Anderson would be a great addition as another 3-D wing. He can defend 1-5 due to his strength, length, athleticism and tenacity.

T H I C C like Tucker and Harden, like adding another linebacker.

Above the rim player.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is like p0rn.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed, a joy to watch RoCo create chaos on defense!!

Imagine if Rockets had another disruptor on the roster.

Rockets missed out on 6'10 Jonah Bolden (7'3 wingspan).

Not too late to sign 6'6 Justin "Bubba" Anderson (7'0 wingspan) so he can combine with Covington to generate maximum carnage. Further Anderson has a freakish 43" max vert to extend his length.

He is also a powerful 230 lbs, just like the Rockets love their wings. As T H I C C as Tucker but 26 instead of 35.

Absolute dog on defense!!

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Adding more switch everything 3-D "Linebackers" who are disruptors on perimeter AND on the block is a MUST!

Describes 6'6 Justin Anderson (7'0 wingspan + 43" max vert) to an absolute "T"!!!

https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/features/robert-covington-defense-havoc-timberwolves-trade

And just to stay on topic ...