1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Islamists murder 13 children football fans for watching a football match

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Quoted for the third time so idiots can see it a third time.

As an "expat" living in the U.A.E. Where the GCC (look it up) have agreed the need to confront militant forces such as ISIL. I know more than enough about this.

And lol ATW. You can be entertaining.
    Twisting words, making up stuff, cherry picking what to answer, demanding answers to stupid questions and just wasting space. It can be fun. I think you can joke about everything. There are no limits as long as it's smart. But this trolling is not witty, just plain stupid.
    Take a nap. Drop this subject and try again on another subject tomorrow.

2 people like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Obviously the homosexual man and teenage soccer fans did something to provoke their executions. That is the only logical answer..... WHAT DID THEY DO?

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Closing their eyes to what exactly? Do you think civil rights advocates around the world are selectively blind? You haven't hung around much with Amnesty, have you.

Those who call for "action" are closing their eyes to the cycle of carnage their solution-making implies. It's like we live in a parallel world where people are like "but what is being done about radical Islam?"

Simple--sponsorship of oppressive regimes under emergency law, wars that kill hundreds of thousands of civilians, a perversion of the West's notions of civil liberties--all this and more. And it isn't working.

4. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Some people think soccer is gay

Quran says kill gays

People taking holy book written by illiterate merchant thousands of years ago as fact

= dead apparently gay soccer watchers

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Anyone else think it's odd that the article still took the time to give us the score of the match.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Closing their eyes to the fact that ATW isn't on some random potentially bigoted BBS crusade but is rather pointing out things that perhaps might truly be fundamental problems with the Islamic religions? (whether they are or aren't actual fundamental problems...)

What are the two sides here? What is even up for debate? This act was obviously f'ing horrible and is obviously tied to the Islamic religion.

That doesn't make Islam fundamentally bad - perhaps an ATW belief. You can certainly argue with him about whether or not Islam is a religion that is fundamentally "bad"... but at this point he can also certainly argue his side without being bigoted or racist as many on here like to imply.

Certainly we're all aware now that this isn't just random isolated incidents of terrorism that just happen to be tied to Islamic beliefs, right? It's repeated and repeated and repeated and repeated actions by people using Islam as a means to justify their actions, who are then further supported by the beliefs of an incredibly large number of individuals, even if said individuals still make up a minority of Islamic people.

7. Northside Storm

What is up for debate is what is being done or should be done, which is the darker thread that is not being discussed here. People act like the world just woke up to extremist Islamic acts after 40 years of installing and securing secular dictatorships to avoid just that (see: Saddam, Mubarak, Saleh etc.).

People act like extrajudicial warfare, rendition, torture, and more haven't happened in the name of "fighting extremist Islam". While Western governments pay lip service to "peaceful Islam" their security agencies target Muslims for censorship, surveillance, torture, and death.

It takes no particular insight or courage to note that people with extremist views do extremist things. I want to see what solutions are proposed beyond drone strikes, dirty wars, and bombing that disproportionately involve killing Muslims, or drives Muslims to kill other Muslims. I want to see what people have to offer beyond a doggone cry of "everything in the world is f**ked largely because of _____ so we should just chastise and do nothing more."

People need to put their money where their mouth is.

#47 Northside Storm, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

? Iraq and Nigeria have plenty of oil.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Right... but seems like we have yet to move as a BBS:Hangout beyond just a simple understanding of the facts, much less to a how do we improve the situation state....

What people? ATW? I don't think he's acting like that. He is pretty consistent in basically just posting in a random message board on a BBS Islamic related terrorist acts. He gets a lot of flack for not posting "other" terrorist acts... which is "strawman" flack, really. He is a little single-minded, but he doesn't seem to be making stuff up.

I recognize the ensuing question of what to do is the harder one... but the first issue of identifying the problem is equally important... hence journalism at its core. Reporting on what happened. Op-ed solution pieces come after that.

Again, what people? And again isn't it a strawman argument? "Yeah, but it also happens here!" .... ok, great, and true.... and....? Domestic violence is also a really big issue to pick something else.

On the contrary, I believe it does. Less so in America, or on a message board - though as I've noted repeatedly, we've seen ATW attacked over and over for effectively noting extremist Muslims are doing extremist things, and a lot of other Muslims seem to support extremist Muslims (even though even more don't). Certainly in other countries it takes a ton of courage to note this, though.

And I want to see cancer cured, and the Rockets win a championship ;)

**** is hard. I certainly don't expect ATW or anyone else on this board to come up with amazing solutions. And fundamentally, it seems, while certainly here in America, as an American, i can use my vote, voice, or $ to try and influence change - be that within our political system, speaking out against our own countries terror-like actions, whatever... ULTIMATELY, the fundamental change has to come from within the community of Islam.

These are teenagers being killed for watching a soccer game. Not sure what kind of solutions you are expecting??

Is the BBS:Hangout ready to move onto solutions? Has it come to a consensus on the size, scope and extent of the problem?

1 person likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

American aggression has NOTHING to do with a fundamental belief that thought and speech crimes such as apostasy and blasphemy should be dealt with by corporal punishment. That has everything to do with millions of individuals perceiving a man who lived around 600AD as infallible, a man who ordered the execution of poets for making fun of him. They are following their infallible dead leader. Plain and simple. Stop beating around the bush and acknowledge that there are fundamental bad ideas with the core ideology of Islam.

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure the people in those numbers that ATW goes around citing don't support the thing that Isis is doing (mostly against Muslims) nor think it's against Islam to watch sports.

I'm also pretty sure the teenagers killed watching the sport were Muslims.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Both correct - but they do support, in large numbers, the death penalty for homosexuality and apostasy, and severe penalties for "blasphemy". This incident here is something that I think even trustme and Exiled and such people don't support.

13. Northside Storm

There are fundamentally bad ideas with all religions, and watching people duke it out over which religion is "better" gives me the hibby jibbies.

I just find it hilarious that people think this is the revelation of a lifetime, and that some people will duke it out over what religion is "better", and others will not understand how defending a marginalized group does not equate to supporting their every view.

And before you ask about marginalization, ask yourself how many Muslims will have died today without anybody giving a s**t if they weren't murdered brutally by Western drones, or extremist fanatics.

14. Northside Storm

It isn't "curing cancer" if you donate to the Iraqi refugee crisis, and write letters to politicians about the dirty wars conducted under your name.

15. Nook

Nook Member

They don't want to hear it or believe it..... so they bury their head in the sand.

16. downbytheriver

That chart cannot possibly be true, can it?? Disturbing beyond belief

17. g1184

g1184 Member

quick nit-pick: a lot of other Muslims seem to support portions of ideas that the extremists have adopted. the poll questions don't ask if the other Muslims support the extremists directly.

Otherwise, the qualifications highlighted in bold that you were prescient enough to make are what separate a reasoned discussion (what you have posted) from idiotic rambling bigotry.

18. Remii

Remii Member

I'm noticing more people with no Muslim backgrounds are crossing over and joining/helping groups like ISIS. And when that happens, it goes beyond religion. Religion is never the main factor on why people wage war but it can be used as an excuse. When you see African Muslims committing acts of terror in France... Do you think it's specifically about religion, or is it because the French have been committing injustices in Africa for years...???

Agreed... What's going on over there is horrible but what are we to do. And after we 'fix' them are we going to make China treat their people better, and North Korea, Africa, etc.

But discussing solutions is a lot better and more productive than trying to ostracize all Muslims which seems to be what's going on here.

19. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

I've not come across any reports.
    Help me out.

20. Remii

Remii Member

It's a thread about the kid from Ohio and some American soldiers have been in the news the past couple of years. Here's an article I recently found. Don't know how legit the site is though.

---"After it was revealed last Friday that a Jewish girl was among 100 French women and girls joining the brutal Islamic State (ISIS) terror group in Syria and Iraq, another Jewish girl has been revealed as having joined ISIS – and trying to blow up her parents’ shop for jihad."
    http://www.jihadwatch.org/2014/10/f...joins-islamic-state-tries-to-kill-her-parents