1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Islamic USF player: Dispute over uniform led to dismissal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AMS, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer Song Giver

Eight pages ago it was, who the hell knows what y'all are arguing about now. Poo- flingers :D

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that you should learn more about history. Broken record, people.

Also, where in the NT does Jesus say the earth is round?

3. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

This was not as entertaining as I had hoped. Revelations was more amusing.

Really?

That's a whole lot of implying and seeming to indicate, if you ask me. It's like reading Nostradamus.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm no biblical scholar, by any means, but I do know that the ancient Greeks knew the world was round...

From Space Today Online:

-Ptolemy. Ptolemy described Earth as a huge ball at the center of the Universe with objects circling around it. Each planet moved in a separate circle. In his view, the Moon was lowest. Then came Mercury, Venus, the Sun, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. The stars were farthest out. To explain why planets seemed to change direction, Ptolemy used old calculations by Hipparchus to understand planetary motion. Hipparchus worked about 130 B.C. and Ptolemy about A.D. 150, which suggestes it took 280 years to come up with the complicated scheme used to predict future positions of planets.

-Pythagoras. The idea of Earth as a sphere was abroad as early as the 6th century B.C. with Pythagoras of Samos.

-Aristotle. In the 4th century B.C., Aristotle of Stagira knew the Earth was round because of eclipses observed when Earth passed between the Moon and the Sun.

-Eratosthenes. In the 3rd century B.C., Eratosthenes was a Greek astronomer working in Egypt when he noticed the Sun directly over one city cast a shadow in another city 500 miles north. Eratosthenes understood correctly that meant Earth's surface is curved. He calculated correctly that Earth is a ball about 25,000 miles around.

http://www.spacetoday.org/SolSys/Earth/AncientAstronomy.html

edit: Keep D&D Civil!!

#264 Deckard, Sep 23, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Isnt that what any person doing a research paper does, he implies from the original author, and tries to find out what he is indicating....

6. BrianKagy

Well, if you're writing a harmless sociology term paper, perhaps, but if you're trying to justify evidence that a document came from the mouth of God, I think you have to be held to a slightly higher standard than that.

Sorry, but "this might mean" doesn't do it for me.

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Thats how it is when you are translating any language. You arent 100% sure ever what something means. Its not that hard for him to just change that wording around. OK lets say he did change the wording to "THIS IS WHAT IT says", would htat change anything?

8. BrianKagy

Then how do you know you're following God's wishes and not someone's misinterpretation of them?

9. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

because he is not the only one translating it. there have been like thousands of arabic scholars that have translated it. and have all "interpreted" this.

10. BrianKagy

But how do you know they interpreted it correctly? You just said, "you arent 100% sure ever what something means. " How do you know the scholars are "interpreting" things correctly?

11. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

where do you draw the line? You have to believe people that are more educated than you. Besides I speak Arabic, I kinda have the jist of what the quran says.

how do you know your math teacher taught you the truth when she told you 2+2 is 4, all your math teachers told you this didnt they?

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

dude let it go!!!

this comes down to faith. if you don't have it...great! move on.

the crap that you guys have slammed down the Islamic guys here is just ridiculous. from da da's inflammatory crap to second-guessing these people's core beliefs in a disrespectful, sarcastic manner. leave them the frick alone, already.

14. BrianKagy

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. I'll make an unbeliever out of you yet.

1) I can prove that two plus two is four. It can be factually established.

Can you prove that the Qura'an is what it claims to be? I will answer that for you: no. You stated earlier that you have "faith" that it is the holy word of God, but you cannot prove it:

Therefore, if you want to hold your faith to the same level of "proof" as that of mathematics, it follows that your religious faith should be abandoned, since it can't be proven.

2)

Well, I am more educated than you are. Why are you arguing with me?

3)

And again, I ask, how do you know it is being interpreted correctly? You said, 'you arent 100% sure ever what something means. '

I mean, earlier, you said:

That doesn't sound like God wants you to get the gist of it-- he doesn't want it modified, meaning you better get the whole damned thing right.

But you yourself admit that translations and interpretations aren't "100% sure".

It sounds like you've put yourself in quite a bind.

No.

15. MadMax

very respectful. admirable quality for an administrator of a website that bans people based on how they treat others here. do as i say...not as i do.

16. BrianKagy

Awwww. :( You poor thing.

17. MadMax

it's not me. i'm not defending Islam. i don't know enough about it to defend.

it's just about treating people with some modicum of respect...particularly about their core beliefs...when you call for the same from others here, and ban them if they don't. consistency is a good thing.

18. BrianKagy

It's nothing new.

It's never going to change.

I'm not about to pretend I'm someone I'm not. It's a waste of effort. It might work for other people; me, I can't be bothered.

Seriously, I suggest you get over it and stop derailing what's been a pretty entertaining discussion with adeel.

19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Quit preaching please.

Let the combatants get it on!

20. MadMax

i get it now. you and kagy are the same guy. that's why you never get banned while others do!! it's all so clear now!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.